Forming pit building group in CA for BS

rocketeer

Glad to hear they worked out for ya Cat. I was thinking yesterday again about two seater pit ideas and figured out I could do it now although in a limited way.

In Il2 1946 edition, if you fly a bomber with more than one station online you can fill up all the gunner spots with other players. So if I set up a second PC and monitor as well as seat I could have a gunner behind me while flying. Our friends 8 yr old son will sure appreciate it, he likes the flying but its hard teaching a kid the right way to fly and dogfight when he just wants to blow stuff up! So another idea...............

I'd like to pick your brains on wiring up a small switch box too. I'm more curious to to hear your thoughts on getting 4 pots & 13 momentary switches from Radio Shack to keep costs down and part hunting local. I know I can get better quality switches and pots elsewhere but since this is a temporary learning project and wont be included in the grand scale of a full pit, I figured Radio Shack would do. I'd like to get started on this one project so I can get some much needed experience and understanding for when I get involved with the bigger project.

One more idea I had was to use the old logitech stick I'm using above for the control box project as a collective control. If I didnt take it apart and used the handle and attached to a pipe then created a mount for it with a spot of a poteniometer & springs or something to hold it steady when my hands are of it. The stick handle has a trigger, 4 buttons and a HAT, the base which in this case I wouldnt be using has an additional 2 buttons and four axis' for throttle, pitch/roll and twist rudder. I'm going to put more thought into it but it might make a great affordable collective leaving only a few other parts to get. I guess I've had too much time to think today before beer:30!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear they worked out for ya Cat. I was thinking yesterday again about two seater pit ideas and figured out I could do it now although in a limited way.

I'd like to pick your brains on wiring up a small switch box too. I'm more curious to to hear your thoughts on getting 4 pots & 13 momentary switches from Radio Shack to keep costs down and part hunting local.

1st thanks. 2nd great to here that you at least have a 8yo to play with thats more than I have. I culd do the 2 player as well with LB2 I have my old win98 system that can run it and extra CRT.

For the box pick away. I am using RS for my switches for my first pit and will start a account for my AH64 pit. That will include a second PC to run DCS. there is nothing wrong with RS switches or pots. Just not as big a selection. If you go to the RS web site you can order switchs and they will ship thim right to your step just add about $7 shipping. I am stuck as I cant test any thing till I can afford the IO cards I need. My have to sell my truck, never shuld have bought that new Dodge RAM.

What kind of IO card are you going to be using?

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Well the project I'm referring to will use the hardware from inside the Logitech Wingman joystick. So I have everything but the switches, unless I decide to use that stick as a collective instead. In that case I'd only need 4 new pots and two switches and just rely on whats mounted on the stick itself. I'm in the same boat as you having just purchased a home, so I'm trying to work on what I can afford to and given I already have everything except new pots/switches to start.

For the big project I havent decided on a good solution for IO yet theres a lot out there and until I can afford to buy anything I'm just going to research IO cards.

EDIT: I remember you mentioning the other day that you used Cat-5 cable for wiring things, just wanted to throw it out there to let me know when you need some of that, my company takes fully operational facilities and vacates them, so in short we throw out a lot of stuff wiring included! I can get all the Cat-5 you or Rocketeer could ever need!

Okay, I've come to the conclusion, I'm going to leave well enough alone:

I would say good Idea. But only if you don't plan on making a bunch more switches. You have a nice setup their. Yes,:joystick: why mess with whats working.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

I've made a new breakout board for the BS cockpit. This will not mix with the other board for my A-10, FSX panels and switches.

47b8dc26b3127cceb4b75ec3ee3d00000036100ScNmLhy4Ym

A quick test with all the terminal points using a momentary push buttons shows that they are working fine.

The small card on the left is the master module. The one at the top is the input module for switches. So I'd connect the output module for LEDs and 7 segment displays. For BS cockpit several breakout boards will be needed if I want to make most of the switches.

Now all of those pits are cool.. But my vote for "the best of the best" goes to Gunner

gunnerspit.jpg

This is awesome, its the best one by far....

As far as I'm concerned, buy the time I find the space and the funds to build something to this level, DCS will most likely be doing Fixed Wing A/C... :lol:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

MAJOR PROGRESS

Well, school sucks (well, at least HW does) as it takes away lots of free time, but I finally got around to doing some stuff to the 'pit this weekend, and frankly, I think I did quite a bit...

img0563vo2.th.jpgimg0564pt7.th.jpgimg0565yd6.th.jpg

No wiring or "avionics" as of yet, but that's next! I've got the basic shape done now. It's moving right along. Can't wait to fly in the thing! :pilotfly:

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hey aeroscout, have you decided which interface card to use yet?

I suggest sticking a few pieces of paper of the instruments you want to the main panel to try out the spacing and arrangement between each other.

yup, that's next.

I'm going to be using this one I think. http://www.rossmeeks.ca/?p=3 . It seems the easiest to wire and still cheep. 32 buttons is plenty for my pit.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Wow this pit by gunner is really hard core. But he seems to be flying F-15 with a F-16 pit. I guess maybe the gauges/switches are similar.

Yes Gunner does have an F-16 Pit.. He's actually a member of the USAF Virtual Thunderbirds.... The Thunderbirds in real life fly the F-16 but as we all know the F-16 HUD isn't available in Lock On.. The Thunderbirds have developed a very nice F-16 skin, but the cockpits in Lock On aren't accessible...

But who's to say what can happen in future development in the DCS engine? Maybe some day we'll have an F-16 pit, and maybe even an F/A-18 pit as well, which will be awesome for the Virtual Blue Angels...

So as I've posted earlier I'm considering building an F-18 pit, and I might start soon by buying a Aces II ejection seat kit to start.. I think that the Aces II Ejection seat is similar on both the F-16 and F-18...

ACESII.jpg

You can Check out all details here ...http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=112303

If he still has some available they where about $400.00 USD...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I got to tell ya 32 is nuthing. espacialy whin it comes to the BS pit. I have 31 right now and havent even finished 1 pannel.

• Like 1

I got to tell ya 32 is nuthing. espacialy whin it comes to the BS pit. I have 31 right now and havent even finished 1 pannel.

My pit's for lock on, so there are less buttons that can be used, and I'm not wiring every button on each MFD (that's 60 buttons total!). I will probably end up adding more in the future. I'm keeping the keyboard next to me just in case until then.

Well if your going to do something, my moto is do it right the first time..... :glare:

If I'm going to build a pit I'm going to build it so that everything is fuctional .... When the fixed wing do comeout for DCS they'll be fully operational, so I should be ready for full realism....

I know that searching for authentic gauges takes a lot of time, and isn't cheap by any means...

I've been looking into pit building now for about 6 years and have learned quite a lot about it....

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ok ... Yes I just realized that maybe its not such a good idea to buy a Seat from Stang, even if I could... :music_whistling:

I've been looking else where but I haven't been able to find a prefab kit as of yet...

More research is in order I'm afraid, I'm thinking that I just might have to build from scratch...

I can but it is a lot of work....

Again thanks for the heads -up....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

good work looking out for each other. :thumbup:

I started to wire some of the switches I have installed. Still a long way to go but making steps foward.

picture43sp9.th.jpg