We should consider building *Airwolf*

GooeyStewie

when I said that you all got goosebumps. didn't you all!! :) haha

I really think we should do it!! now that the tomcat has showen you can have a rio and all works well together. we should do the 3 seat bell. with all that we know of it. I would buy it for 109 buckeroos in a heartbeat!!!

• Like 2

did you know that Jan Michael Vincent was so drunk for a majority of his Airwolf sets that they had to film him seated or leaning against things and could barely speak his lines without slurring?

Hell, why not the Firefox or a couple of Veritech Variables for the mix too? Can I raise you a Buck Rogers' starfighter?

Battle Star Galactica Original Series Viper!

BLUE THUNDER!!!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Ars Technica recently had an article comparing AirWolf and Blue Thunder - both the fictional aircraft, their real life counterparts and the flying abilities of the "actor" aircraft.

Apparently the "actor" for Blue Thunder was a civilian Gazelle so heavily modified could barely get off the ground. Airwolf was a barely modified Bell 222 because it was a pretty cool looking helicopter to start with.

(The comments are worth reading and add a lot to the article.)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/forget-top-gun-maverick-lets-settle-blue-thunder-vs-airwolf-once-and-for-all/

• Like 2

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

According to Wikipedia the conversion of the Gazelle was done by Cinema Air in Carlsbad, California. That is just partially true. They only organized the creation of the helicopters.

The actual conversion from the Gazelle to ‘Blue Thunder’ was done by Hughes Helicopters. In that way the air worthiness could be fully maintained.

Two flyable models were made. Both ended after their movie career in the aviation salvage business being scrapped and sold for parts.

Non flyable mockups and parts of mockups survived over the years, some in the hands of enthusiasts.

Stating that the Blue Thunder helicopter ’could barely get off the ground’ is not exactly true according to the pilots who flew it for the film.

Being a bit nose heavy it created some pitch moment. Besides of that it was very well flyable.

Which was absolutely necessary since the special thing about the movie is the fact, that a lot of real helicopter flying was done.

In contrast to the F-16 scenes which were rather poor since they only had radio-controlled models for that.

• 2 weeks later...
when I said that you all got goosebumps. didn't you all!! :) haha

I really think we should do it!! now that the tomcat has showen you can have a rio and all works well together. we should do the 3 seat bell. with all that we know of it. I would buy it for 109 buckeroos in a heartbeat!!!

Hell yeah I got goosebumps:lol:

That was one of my favorite shows as a teen and still enjoy watching it. I have the complete series on Blu-Ray.

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumping this because I just found it and I am drooling at the thought of lifting off from inside a mountain in that sweet chopper with Ernest Borgnine and Caitlin in the back... 🙂

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.