KISS OFF Break Position

flyco

I am a little confused about the timing and/or position at which to make the "KISS OFF" Break as a leader of 4 ac. The 'Book' says ac in a flight should break at 15-20 sec intervals, But if you are not able to break within 4 nm of passing the ship you are to go around.

If we are doing 360 kias, then the fourth ac will break between 45 and 60 seconds after the lead, by which time it will have covered between 4.5 and 6 nm. May I take it that the limit of 4 nm applies only to the Flight Lead, and that, if he or she breaks within 4 nm, the remainder of his flight my continue.

A little pedantic I know, but "rules is rules".

Related question:

Are we supposed to remain in our flight group during the overhead stack and throughout the pattern? All the way up till the overhead break?

I had thought that the stack was solo, so as to create separation.

Related question:

Are we supposed to remain in our flight group during the overhead stack and throughout the pattern? All the way up till the overhead break?

I had thought that the stack was solo, so as to create separation.

Case1 = Full flight

Case2 = 2ship

Case3 = solo

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Nope, no joke. If you're leading a 4-ship you're expected to break expeditiously and lead in a fashion that doesn't result in -3 spinning. If you do 300 kts you might cause a bottleneck behind you. So aim for 350, break right at the bow and that should give ample space for -3 to break without bursting the 4nm limit. Leads should have no problem handling a tight pattern. Remember Goose: "do some of that pilot sh*ˆt