TACAN problem

Not sure if this is a bug, or if I’m missing some vital step somewhere. Right, I’ve tried the navigation training mission, whereby the TACAN gets set at 31X. I follow all of the instructions to the letter, and all of the information gets sent successfully to the HSI, including distance. However, once I start to fly the course, the HSI does it’s thing except for the distance refuses to count down, and remains static at 59 miles, which is a pain in the arse. I’ve tried it a few times, and each time it is frozen. I’m on the latest stable version of DCSW. Any ideas?

Okay, so I’ve just re-flown the mission, and the distance meter was, again, frozen. So, I took the TACAN out of T/R mode momentarily, then flicked it back again. After a few seconds the HSI reset itself, and this time the distance gauge worked. So it IS a bug. Is this likely to be addressed at any point I wonder? After conducting a bit of a search, it appears that the TACAN is fairly borked anyhow, and people have been pleading for it to be fixed for a fair old time. Fingers crossed, eh?

• Like 1

That’s a shame. It would be nice if they could ease up on development a tad, and prioritise fixing what people have already paid for. I get the distinct impression that these smaller, minority models, will just get abandoned, and all resources get pumped into the more prestigious F/A 18’s etc. That’ll teach me to not follow the herd :D

Yeah, it’s not the end of the world. Now I know, I can just flick back and forth until it works. It’s like some of the old bangers I’ve driven over the years. Just give the gear stick a wiggle, to slip it into 1st, or make sure it’s pointing down hill when the batteries a bit iffy ;)

That’s a shame. It would be nice if they could ease up on development a tad, and prioritise fixing what people have already paid for. I get the distinct impression that these smaller, minority models, will just get abandoned, and all resources get pumped into the more prestigious F/A 18’s etc. That’ll teach me to not follow the herd :D

Preaching to the choir on that point, man. It's damn near criminal over the last year (AT LEAST) how much ED has demonstrated through their actions how much they don't care about the F-5 despite it being one of their best-selling modules.

Don't worry, I'm sure in a year or two, they'll get the bright idea for "DCS F-5E Tiger 2.0," featuring corrected flight modeling, true-to-life avionics, and revamped cockpit textures and lighting, now available for pre-order for $49.99!

I mean, that's really what it comes down to. If it doesn't make a buck, it doesn't get put in the development chute. That's the bullet ED put in their own foot by making DCS free-to-play.

I encounter the same problem from time to time. Usually switching the TACAN mode selector or DF/TCN mode selector will fix this. Other similar issue like this is when I select TACAN channel the HSI doesn't react at all. Flipping the above mentioned selectors, initiates the correct HSI display. I'm nut sure if this is a bug or a feature. ;)

By the way - what is the distance for the TACAN navigation to work? In this module that is. I have problems to get direction to TACAN station if the distance is greater than 50 - 60 nm. The HSI direction pointer is just spinning around. AFAIK in RL the working distance should be something like 200 nm. Any ideas?

Preaching to the choir on that point, man. It's damn near criminal over the last year (AT LEAST) how much ED has demonstrated through their actions how much they don't care about the F-5 despite it being one of their best-selling modules.

Don't worry, I'm sure in a year or two, they'll get the bright idea for "DCS F-5E Tiger 2.0," featuring corrected flight modeling, true-to-life avionics, and revamped cockpit textures and lighting, now available for pre-order for $49.99!

I mean, that's really what it comes down to. If it doesn't make a buck, it doesn't get put in the development chute. That's the bullet ED put in their own foot by making DCS free-to-play.

Well, if they are gonna leave it in a dusty corner to fester, then I shall just readjust the way I do things. I’m all about supporting development teams, and am more than happy to pay full whack. However, if they are going to sell me half of a plane with the promise of the other half to follow, and that promise is not kept then I shall only buy future planes during sales periods. Half a plane = half of the money that I would have gladly paid. Then neither parties has any cause for complaint. That seems about fair.

• 3 years later...

@T-Pickle After reading your post, I've just tried the TACAN nav training and all went according to plan. The track is too big to be uploaded here, but I took a screenshot showing the TACAN range being properly updated.

image.png

Please attach a track showing the issue you're facing.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hey, thanks for looking into it again. The issue is not that it does not show range, but that sometimes the needles would just freeze in place. Since it is seemingly random I wasn't able to create a short track of it yet, last time I noticed after 30 minutes or so in a multiplayer session.

I will upload a track as soon as I can narrow it down in a shorter timeframe. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Flappie the problem keeps happening after a while, sadly that means the tracks get quite big (usually above 100 MB). How would I send a track of that size here?

This is what happens: The range indication "freezes" and won't update anymore while you get closer to the TACAN, and the course deviation doesn't seem to change either anymore. If you turn your TACAN receiver off at the black knob and back to T/R it suddenly works again and jumps to the correct range. This means it can be worked around, but only if you notice it is not updating anymore in time.