Is there a way to keep smoke marker on?

tmansteve

I can set triggers for smoke markers on mission start, and once etc, but is there a setting so that they stay on until the target is destroyed?

I have tried different ways but sometimes the smoke just builds up.

Cheers

Remind us what you need smoke markers for exactly?

Thanks guys

My brother has become addicted to DCS but now I am teaching him weapons. He has trouble spotting targets which is understandable as he is getting to grips with the different types of armoury. I set a smoke marker when we enter the Trigger Zone but when he exits to come in for an attack, he takes time to spot the smaller ones.

He is doing great so just to help him a while, a smoke marker is ideal. Is the scheduler in ME Triggers? Will take a look.

Yes, thats an idea but it would be great to keep the smoke on until that unit is dead. I have been looking at Time More Than to trigger the smoke again. I will look at the static as well and maybe place it as close to target as possible.

Cheers

if you're just wanting to use the in-game ME triggers, then the way to do it would be:

Switch Condition :: Group Alive <TGT GROUP NAME>, and Part of Coalition in Zone, Blue <NAME OF ZONE> :: Flag On 1

Switch Condition :: Flag is True (1) :: Smoke Marker <NAME OF ZONE, 1(altitude), GREEN (color of smoke to apply)>

Switch Condition :: Time Since Flag (1) (270) :: Flag Off (1)

Now every time a member of Blue Coalition enters said zone a smoke marker will be placed on the target. The time more 270 is to ensure that you're not getting a new smoke marker EVERY time you enter the zone, but will more or less stay on while you both are in the area. Smoke will stay on for 4:30, turn the flag off, and then recheck parameters. If still true, fresh smoke will be reapplied to target.

Note: Trying to type this from memory, so exact trigger type/name may not be exact, but I think you get the general flow of how to make it work.

Good luck.

UPDATED TO REFLECT EXACT TRIGGER NAMES

Edited by Baaz
  • Like 2

I provided you with a quick mission (sorry, didn't have a chance to do it yesterday) to give an example.

Smoke in zone is easiest to use.

This can be repeated as many times as you wish, with as many groups/zones as you wish.

Mission contains a single A-10 with a 7 minute orbit above a target group to show initial marking and reapplication.

Smoke_Test.miz

• 2 years later...

Sorry to have dug up an old post, but I have been searching for a couple of hours, and this is the only post I have found that is most relative to my question, but it is very outdated. I am simply trying to put smoke on a target area just for target practice, and I just want it constant, but I wouldnt mind knowing how to have it turn off once targets are killed either, but primarily, I just want it to stay on. I put a Trigger Zone on the map (Smoke 1). I do NOT have much time fiddling with the Mission Editor other then what I have watched on Youtube as of yesterday. If someone could please advise as to what to enter into the (3) columns (Triggers/ Conditions/ Actions), I would appreciate the help, thanks.

null

image.png

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I'm reinstalling an os so i'm doing this from my phone so i can't tell you exactly what to put where but if smoke stops after 5 mins as a previous person said, then you have two options. 

1. don't use a smoke marker and just use a SMOKE EFFECT - this stays forever but is not coloured.

2. you're going to have to use SWITCHED CONDITIONS for the trigger and you're going to need to make use of flags, and specifically a condition of 'time since flag' so that you can 'count' 5 mins, and switch states on a flag that will turn the smoke back on and start the whole loop over again.

I appreciate the feedback, but right now, I have no smoke effect at all because I dont really know what to set for each of those categories. I mean, I tried last nite for a couple of hours to get something to work, but nothing worked that I tried from trying to put pieces together from what I have read and watched. Thats why I am dropping back and punting in hopes someone can advise of what to enter in each option.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Really? A Smoke Effect is a static - just go into the mission editor and scroll down all of the items and see what's there. That's what everyone else does. Then drop it into the world and see that properties the inspector on the right side of the screen has. 

It's really that simple. 

Or drop a trigger zone down and make a new trigger and in the action 'smoke effect' or 'smoke marker' or 'signal flare' then you can pick your trigger zone and change the effect. 

As for switched conditions, either the DCS manual on the mission editor or youtube is your best bet. Trying to type it out sounds way more complicated than it really is. 

Just have a play. 

Edited by Elphaba

Thanks for both of those responses, I will check them out in a couple hours. What are you referring to when you say:

" just go into the mission editor and scroll down all of the items and see what's there."

Are you referring to all the icons on the Left side of the Mission Editor or are you referring to the drop down options in the trigger menu?

Man, havnt seen a vid from Banjo in I dont know how many years, that was in deed helpful. Thanks

Got it now thanks,,, Banjo Vid really helped alot for sure,,, so did my search for "Smoke Marker" in the manual. Thanks,

null

image.png

• Like 1