When Flying the Hornet in VR how do you Access the Comms Menu

melchionda

I already asked this on the Hornet thread and no one seems to have a definitive answer so I'll try here...

If you...

Fly the Hornet in VR...

And

Have the Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle

How do you get the Comms Menu to show up?

I have the Mic Switch TX1 and TX2 mapped to Comms 1 and Comms 2 but thats not working. When I click TX1 or TX2 on the Warthog Mic Switch I get no Comms Menu at all.

Note that I dont have any trouble getting the comms menu in the A10c to appear using the Mic Switch mapped to Tx1, TX2, and TX3..

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks for the reply...

by any chance are you using voice attack and or simple comms?

Sean

Edited by melchionda

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I use voice attack. I've set up a special voice attack file (I named it "BASEROUTINES") which is called within voice attack in addition to any primary voice attack file like one specific to teh F-14 etc. My BASEROUTINES file has the things that are common to all dcs moduals in vr. For example, zooming in vr. But to make it extremely generic, I have added commands that call up teh comm menu, then I can say "F1", "F2" etc as needed. It's not as slick as programming "Give Me Bogey Dope", but it's absolutely universal and works with all moduals as I mentioned. And because they are in their own file, I only have to put it all in one place, and just have voice attack reference the file, no matter what modual I am using.

Edited by flameoutme

I use the mic switch, SS forward (3)for COMM 1 and SS AFT (5) for COMM 2. Works ok for me.

Since you are the one who has this working the closest to what I'm trying to do I need to ask...

Are you using a Thrustmast Warthog Throttle?

What does the "SS" and the (3) represent in your response?

Sorry to be so curious, I'm just ooking for clues here. Stil haven't been able to get the menu to show up via a key binding other than to the "" key.

I read in another thread someone suggested RAlt+# to bring up the COMM1 menu and RCtrl+# to bring up the COMM2 menu.

I just used a random picture from google, but I found the source, it is from another member on here, I now know it is for the AV8B, but it explains in the picture where I got the SS from.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197608

The ss stands for sensor select and as you can see the 3 is FWD and 5 is AFT.

With the A10-C I use button 4 (the pinkie lever) on the joystick as a modifier and use speed break aft to get the comms up. In the F18 I use the same modifier and speed break aft to get the comms up whilst on the ground, and whilst in the air I use the mic switch FWD and AFT (no modifier) for comm 1 and 2 respectively. I just went into the control settings for the F18 (sim) and bound them and I have had no problems.

Yes I am using the Warthog throttle.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

I just used a random picture from google, but I found the source, it is from another member on here, I now know it is for the AV8B, but it explains in the picture where I got the SS from.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197608

The ss stands for sensor select and as you can see the 3 is FWD and 5 is AFT.

With the A10-C I use button 4 (the pinkie lever) on the joystick as a modifier and use speed break aft to get the comms up. In the F18 I use the same modifier and speed break aft to get the comms up whilst on the ground, and whilst in the air I use the mic switch FWD and AFT (no modifier) for comm 1 and 2 respectively. I just went into the control settings for the F18 (sim) and bound them and I have had no problems.

Yes I am using the Warthog throttle.

Ok, thanks for the info... that's really different than what I was expecting. In the A10 I use the pinky switch for the lights (as that is what its for in the real plane) and I was thinking of trying to do the same thing in the F/A18 to keep it all the same between planes. And I use the Speedbrake switch for the Speedbrake so I dont want to use that.

I still use the pinky toggle switch on the side of the left throttle for the lights, its the pinky lever on the base of the joystick that I use as a modifier. It just allows me to be able to use every button and switch twice. The speed brake is still the speed brake, but when I press the joy 4 button on the joystick, I can bind the speed brake as another action as well as the speed brake as long as joy button 4 is pressed.

Example I use the mic switch for comms, but when I press Joy 4 the mic switch then becomes my kneeboard.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

I use VIACOM pro, and have each radio mapped to the "comms hat" on my Warthog.

It is free to try and I highly recommend it for VR.

I am actually using Viacom Pro. I just didn't think that it would make a difference w/r/t troubleshooting why the comms menu hasn't shown up. The reason that I do not think its an issue is that I think the Viacom pro part of the process is working fine. The reason I think this is because when I bring up the Viacom Pro config screen...(LeftCntrl+LeftShft+C I think) and I push the Mic Switch Switch UP to my COMMS 1 position or forward to the COMMS 2 position I can see that the Viacom Pro UI shows Comms Radio 1 and Comms Radio 2 activating respectively. But if you could be so kind as to help me explore this because maybe there is an issue. Do you remember what thing in the controls menu that you mapped to the different positions on the hat switch?

I am actually using Viacom Pro. I just didn't think that it would make a difference w/r/t troubleshooting why the comms menu hasn't shown up. The reason that I do not think its an issue is that I think the Viacom pro part of the process is working fine. The reason I think this is because when I bring up the Viacom Pro config screen...(LeftCntrl+LeftShft+C I think) and I push the Mic Switch Switch UP to my COMMS 1 position or forward to the COMMS 2 position I can see that the Viacom Pro UI shows Comms Radio 1 and Comms Radio 2 activating respectively. But if you could be so kind as to help me explore this because maybe there is an issue. Do you remember what thing in the controls menu that you mapped to the different positions on the hat switch?

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at here, but I'll do my best to help, forgive me if I am telling anyone to suck eggs.

Firstly if you have VIACOM Pro. Map your PTT buttons in VIACOM. (most of us use the hat switch near the thumb on a warthog throttle) Then make sure those buttons are not mapped to anything in DCS. This is important as if you have the button mapped to radios in DCS and VIACOM the two will interfere with each other.

Double check they aren't mapped in DCS Check under F18 sim, UI Layer and General.

Now, In game you will execute most radio comms without needing the comms menu, just tune the radio to the correct freq on the UFC, press the appropriate PTT and speak.

There will be some commands that do need the comms menu, usually when the speech engine doesn't recognise it (The MS Speech engine assumes everyone is American) or for mission specific options in the F10 menu. In this case simply hold PTT and say "OPTIONS" the comms menu will appear. Then say "TAKE X" where X is the Menu item number. So for F10 menu you would say, "OPTIONS, TAKE 10"

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at here, but I'll do my best to help, forgive me if I am telling anyone to suck eggs.

Firstly if you have VIACOM Pro. Map your PTT buttons in VIACOM. (most of us use the hat switch near the thumb on a warthog throttle) Then make sure those buttons are not mapped to anything in DCS. This is important as if you have the button mapped to radios in DCS and VIACOM the two will interfere with each other.

Double check they aren't mapped in DCS Check under F18 sim, UI Layer and General.

Now, In game you will execute most radio comms without needing the comms menu, just tune the radio to the correct freq on the UFC, press the appropriate PTT and speak.

There will be some commands that do need the comms menu, usually when the speech engine doesn't recognise it (The MS Speech engine assumes everyone is American) or for mission specific options in the F10 menu. In this case simply hold PTT and say "OPTIONS" the comms menu will appear. Then say "TAKE X" where X is the Menu item number. So for F10 menu you would say, "OPTIONS, TAKE 10"

Interesting...

Do you have any experience with the A10C? IF so would you say that the radio and comms menu mapping is different between the two planes? I have it working as desired in the A10C and tried to do the same thing in the F/A-18 and its not working.

Tonight I will try un-mapping the MIC switch in DCS. You say I should map them in VIACOM PRO only, maybe that is my problem. The question I have is where would I do that? Do you mean map it in Voice Attack?

Thanks for your input here. This is really helpful.

Vaicom Pro has a checked option to disable the comms menu . That may be why it isn't showing .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Vaicom Pro has a checked option to disable the comms menu . That may be why it isn't showing .

Thanks but I checked that already. I have that option in Viamcom pro disabled because I actually want to see the menus.

I tried this tonight, unmapped the hat switch on the throttle to see if that fixed it and it made it worse in that when I pushed the mic switch to one of the PTT positions the radio in the cockpit didn't respond and tune into a channel. When I mapped it back the radio did respond in that I could see it tuning to the correct channel. If I said "Options" I could get the Comms menu to appear and issue commands. The thing that I want to try to do is to get the Comms menu to show up as soon as I push the PTT hat switch and with out having to say "Options"

This whole thing though still doesn't work as well as how it works in the A10C. All of this stuff works perfectly for me over there.

I tried this tonight, unmapped the hat switch on the throttle to see if that fixed it and it made it worse in that when I pushed the mic switch to one of the PTT positions the radio in the cockpit didn't respond and tune into a channel. When I mapped it back the radio did respond in that I could see it tuning to the correct channel. If I said "Options" I could get the Comms menu to appear and issue commands. The thing that I want to try to do is to get the Comms menu to show up as soon as I push the PTT hat switch and with out having to say "Options"

This whole thing though still doesn't work as well as how it works in the A10C. All of this stuff works perfectly for me over there.

It works the same for me regardless of aircraft. (A10, F18, Spitfire, Huey). The Comms menu only appears when I say options, and that is good for me as I only want to see it when the voice recognition falls over and I need to select menu items. Why do you want to see the comms menu every time you speak?

It sounds like you have some version of easy comms on (at least in the A10) as you are assuming the PTT will tune your radio. This is probably where part of your problem lies. Sorry I can't help you there as I have all radio helpers off. They just confuse a simple process in my mind. Comms in DCS is simplified enough without autotune etc. Just tune the radios in the cockpit and push the correct PTT. Most missions have the Studs (presets) defined in the brief/kneeboard, and if not manual tune mode can be used. Normally I tune COMM1 to flight internal (wingman) and COMM2 to ATC/AWACS/TANKER/JTAC as required.

It works the same for me regardless of aircraft. (A10, F18, Spitfire, Huey). The Comms menu only appears when I say options, and that is good for me as I only want to see it when the voice recognition falls over and I need to select menu items. Why do you want to see the comms menu every time you speak?

It sounds like you have some version of easy comms on (at least in the A10) as you are assuming the PTT will tune your radio. This is probably where part of your problem lies. Sorry I can't help you there as I have all radio helpers off. They just confuse a simple process in my mind. Comms in DCS is simplified enough without autotune etc. Just tune the radios in the cockpit and push the correct PTT. Most missions have the Studs (presets) defined in the brief/kneeboard, and if not manual tune mode can be used. Normally I tune COMM1 to flight internal (wingman) and COMM2 to ATC/AWACS/TANKER/JTAC as required.

Thanks for the info.

So are you saying that you memorize the frequencies for all of the other assets in every session when you fly? I would imagine that some people not using VR might write them down on a piece of paper for the flight, however I am using a VR headset so that's not an option. A kneeboard would be nice, but preparing a kneeboard every time I want to fly is a lot of extra work.

I really just need the comms menu in the F/A18 to work the same way it works in the A10C and I'm on the hunt for why its different. I have a ticket logged with DCS and have sent them some demonstration tracks. Should be interesting to see what they come back with.

Thanks but I checked that already. I have that option in Viamcom pro disabled because I actually want to see the menus.

Say "options", then Vaicom brings up the comms menu.

You can also try and reset the .lua's in Vaicom (reset-tab in the Vaicom config window), maybe that helps.

Say "options", then Vaicom brings up the comms menu.

You can also try and reset the .lua's in Vaicom (reset-tab in the Vaicom config window), maybe that helps.

Thanks for your reply... But the goal here is not to have to say "Options" every time I want to use the radio. In the A10C I dont have to say options. The menu just appears when I start to use the Mic Switch.

I recently re-set the lua code for another issue, I guess I could try again. However seeing that this works as desired in the A10C wouldn't that suggest this is a settings issue and not a lua code issue?

Here is a question that may help get more to the issue...

Is anyone able to get the Comms Menu to appear automatically when they push their PTT button in the F/A-18?

Edited by melchionda

Thats sort of the opposite issue.. specifically the comms menu appears by itself due to a corrupt lua file. I had that issue too but resolved it by deleting my lua file.

Just to bring everyone up to speed.

I have everything (PTT + comms menu + voice attack) working perfectly and exactly as I want it to work in the A10C.

I just cant get that same behavior in the F/A-18.