Helios 1.6 - Official Thread

On 11/8/2022 at 2:54 AM, Roger01 said:

Hello,

I use F14 profil from capt zeen but have some switches/buttons that don't work indection HELIOS => DCS.

But If i use this buttons in DCS, HELIOS updates the interface correctly.

Do you know why? Thanks a lot!

Exemple , the CAP Category Selector Switch (RIO) :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NarHdYP9Ne7SRtb56 (video)

If you join the captnzeen discord channel, you will probably have a better chance for an answer. BluFinBima does most of the helios support now and is active on there. Report it in the #helios support section, just like you said here. There was some issues with the av8b and a-10 that were similar. If its on the helios end, Bluefin will take care of it. If its an issue with the profile itself then hopefully someone will know how. Haven’t seen CaptnZenn active anywhere for a while. Not sure if he is still supporting his profiles or not. 

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Ok, so @MadKreatoris a legend. I used his tip after speaking to him and bluefinbima on their discord I thought I would document what I did to get it running great

To be scientific and impartial as possible I reset everything to 0, reset all my Nvidia settings to default and I had recently done a reinstall so everything was good to go for a test, I also have a test mission that I use to max everything out and push the gpu to it's limits for a consistent repeatable test

So what did I do?

Step 1, open Helios and set the export rate to my refresh rate (60fps)

Test

Still not good, step 2

Go into the helios16 file and 

Comment out non-blocking and replace it with the way the code is short blocking time .001 sec or what ever it says

Test

Better but not perfect step 3

Turn on vsync IN DCS not Nvidia CP

Perfect!

that's it, no tweaking tuning in the control panel or any of that, just pure and simple those 3 things

I should note that I'm using a 1.75 dsr factor setting and I'm also running sim shaker and not having any issues at all now

The credit goes to all those who figured this all out, I've just put together what worked for me, hope it works for you!

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

7 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

Still not good, step 2

Go into the helios16 file and 

Comment out non-blocking and replace it with the way the code is short blocking time .001 sec or what ever it says

So still being the Helios noob that I am… what does this do? Messing with code is not my strong suit at all 😂

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

The funny thing is nobody know! It literally says it in the file

So theres a line in the file that you can swap, you basically remove the -- Infront of the "non blocking" line and place then put -- Infront of the blocking line

There's an image of the lines here

The layout will have been changed a bit now but make a back up of the file and have a crack at it, makes a big difference 

Lol I will check it out 😂

2 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

The funny thing is nobody know! It literally says it in the file

So theres a line in the file that you can swap, you basically remove the -- Infront of the "non blocking" line and place then put -- Infront of the blocking line

There's an image of the lines here

The layout will have been changed a bit now but make a back up of the file and have a crack at it, makes a big difference 

So I messed with it, changing the comments for the blocking didn’t do anything on my end , as far as I could tell. But I did change the export frequency to 120 , still with monitors capped at 60 and vsync on and the gauges are now f-10 map smooth. Matching to 60 was a huge improvement but doubling it ( probably any multiple of the fps/ refresh cap) is noticeably more smooth, say climbing and hopping back and forth between f10 and f1 you could really see a difference in the smoothness with freq at 30, at 60  the map is slightly smoother still but better,  but with freq 120 its almost indistinguishable.. f10 is still just ever, ever so slightly smoother. 180 or 240 might get that last little tiny bit out, but 120 freq seems like a spot on setting for my system.

Edited by MadKreator

6 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

Oooooooooooooooooooooo that sounds very much the good, I'll try it tonight and chime back in! I've played with it like this for years, now with these tiny fixes it's reinvigorating lol

Oh man I just started using helios a couple months ago. I’ve heard of it for a long time but never really paid much attention. I’ve been missing out, i love it! I’m happy it’s still supported.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, MadKreator said:

So I messed with it, changing the comments for the blocking didn’t do anything on my end , as far as I could tell. But I did change the export frequency to 120 , still with monitors capped at 60 and vsync on and the gauges are now f-10 map smooth. Matching to 60 was a huge improvement but doubling it ( probably any multiple of the fps/ refresh cap) is noticeably more smooth, say climbing and hopping back and forth between f10 and f1 you could really see a difference in the smoothness with freq at 30, at 60  the map is slightly smoother still but better,  but with freq 120 its almost indistinguishable.. f10 is still just ever, ever so slightly smoother. 180 or 240 might get that last little tiny bit out, but 120 freq seems like a spot on setting for my system.

Looks like for me it's best performance between 60-70 frames, seems to be stable aswell so that's really good, I'm absolutely ringing the gpus neck now haha, looks and works awesome now

• 1 month later...

Hi all just setting up the standby instruments for the new screen using Helios.  Was able get them all working except the SAI.   I have the ball rolling around correctly however I can not find were to map the waterline change and the ils bars etc.  I have been using Helios to complete this.  Is it possible to export a fully functioning SAI?

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

• 4 weeks later...

why do i always got this erros?

{
  "product": "Helios",
  "version": "1.6.5800.0",
  "items": [
    {
      "report": [
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:51.631 AM",
          "status": "Helios 1.6.5800.0000\nhttps://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/"
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:58.139 AM",
          "status": "Loading Profile..."
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:58.838 AM",
          "status": "Preflight check is disabled.  Helios will not be able to ensure configuration is correct."
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:59.783 AM",
          "status": "Running Profile"
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:58.664 AM",
          "severity": 2,
          "status": "UDP interface created duplicate function ID. (Interface=\"DCS F-16C_50\", Function ID=\"785\")",
          "flags": 4
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/15/2023 01:00:58.668 AM",
          "status": "UDP interface created duplicate function ID. (Interface=\"DCS F-16C_50\", Function ID=\"43\")",
        },
        {
          "status": "UDP interface created duplicate function ID. (Interface=\"DCS F-16C_50\", Function ID=\"725\")",
        },
        {
          "status": "UDP interface created duplicate function ID. (Interface=\"DCS F-16C_50\", Function ID=\"UNKNOWN\")",
        }
      ],
      "name": "Control Center Console"
    }
  ]
}

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I used an older version of Helios, it was fine but, I just installed the latest version and it tries to install many scripts for some aircraft that I even don't have. Was it like that?

And I can't run my current profiles on it.

What did Helios do? Almost unusable.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I'm getting into DCS after a long time, and this time I try to make my setup a bit more "professional". So I wanted to export the gauges and displays of the F-15C to another monitor, which I managed to do with Helios, with a few exceptions. I'm using CaptZeen's F15 profile, which works great.

The problem is with the RWR and the Store Management Screen, I can't get to export their views to Helios. I tried to google I everywhere, but it almost seems that there are no solution for it. Does anyone here have any hints or tips how to do it?

Hi HELIOS Heros
I Wish This For The Next HELIOS Release

The situation is as follow:
I like to create a HELIOS Profile where my touch input is on top of some instruments and therefore must be transparent, the problem is that it is not possible to make an user .png image transparent and the use it as the button... only the text of the button is the click able... and i do not need to have text on this area.

So: A "ButtonArea" and still able to show a "Fill Color" when pushed is what I need... that can be fully transparent.... This would be awesome if you guys can implement this.

Thanks for your support to the community with your work.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:50 AM, gdomjan83 said:

Hi.

I'm getting into DCS after a long time, and this time I try to make my setup a bit more "professional". So I wanted to export the gauges and displays of the F-15C to another monitor, which I managed to do with Helios, with a few exceptions. I'm using CaptZeen's F15 profile, which works great.

The problem is with the RWR and the Store Management Screen, I can't get to export their views to Helios. I tried to google I everywhere, but it almost seems that there are no solution for it. Does anyone here have any hints or tips how to do it?

Best to ask on CaptZeen discord. F-15 being an old profile for an older version of helios, may need code work done in the interface to bring things up to date and make some functions work. I know I’ve seen captnzeen comment on the difficulty of fc3 aircraft and he has had to use lots of tricks to get things to work and some things just don’t🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Hello all,
I have changed from an old laptop to a high end PC.
Since then, the instruments that are output via Helios move jerkily.
I did not have that with the old laptop.
Does anyone know this?

Here you see a short clip?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G988B mit Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Rapti said:

Hello all,
I have changed from an old laptop to a high end PC.
Since then, the instruments that are output via Helios move jerkily.
I did not have that with the old laptop.
Does anyone know this?

Here you see a short clip?

Try turning on v-sync if you haven’t done so… also I get mine to smooth out by capping the fps in nvidia control to 60 fps, then setting the export frequency in helios to 60 or 120 even. I find the only time my gauges are really smooth is if I’m capped at 60 or if I’m hitting over 120 uncapped, anywhere in between they a jumpy but Yours seem unreasonably jumpy, like its only updating a few times a second. Have you tried it with just using the captnzeen profile?   Also if you post in captnzeen discord, you will get more help with helios than on here usually. 

… do you use winwing hardware and the simapp pro app? Just curious, I use some winwing items but for some reason the line of code simapp pro writes in the export file really played hell with my fps and some exports. If you do, try commenting out the winwing line in the export.lua, maybe even moving helios to the first line( i doubt that really matters though).

Last thought, are you using the latest helios version and were you using the same version on the laptop when you made the profile? If not it might be worth hopping back into the editor, disable patches. Run a full dcs slow repair, then re-apply the patches, re save the profile🤷‍♂️

Try turning on v-sync if you haven’t done so… also I get mine to smooth out by capping the fps in nvidia control to 60 fps, then setting the export frequency in helios to 60 or 120 even. I find the only time my gauges are really smooth is if I’m capped at 60 or if I’m hitting over 120 uncapped, anywhere in between they a jumpy but Yours seem unreasonably jumpy, like its only updating a few times a second. Have you tried it with just using the captnzeen profile?   Also if you post in captnzeen discord, you will get more help with helios than on here usually. 
… do you use winwing hardware and the simapp pro app? Just curious, I use some winwing items but for some reason the line of code simapp pro writes in the export file really played hell with my fps and some exports. If you do, try commenting out the winwing line in the export.lua, maybe even moving helios to the first line( i doubt that really matters though).
Last thought, are you using the latest helios version and were you using the same version on the laptop when you made the profile? If not it might be worth hopping back into the editor, disable patches. Run a full dcs slow repair, then re-apply the patches, re save the profile
Thank you for the answer. Enabling the vsync option has helped. It seems like the displays are running nice and smoth now. I am not using WinWing hardware.
I had created the Helios profile completely by myself

2 minutes ago, Rapti said:

Thank you for the answer. Enabling the vsync option has helped. It seems like the displays are running nice and smoth now. I am not using WinWing hardware.

You can also try this which helps some people:

2 hours ago, Rapti said:

Displays with different refresh rates seem to mess with helios a bit. Mine is 120 hz main but my helios screen is 60. So fps at 60 seems to run the smoothest. I’ve seen users that have 144hz main monitors and 60hz helios monitor have bigger issues like yours. There’s a lot of information going back and forth between helios and dcs. Neither system is perfect. Now that I’m thinking of it.. does your control center give you a yellow caution running the a-10 profile? Mine started to a couple updates ago and my a-10 gauges are more laggy than other planes now. Mine says its basically trying to read a certain export before the next frame is generated so its causing a little  hiccup  in the communication. Bluefin has it on his never ending list of things to fix. Every workaround I have still doesn’t smooth out my a-10 profile.

Yesterday I decided to give Helios a try. After some trial and error I managed to get CaptZeen's F14 profile working as much as I can test. When I decided to check it out by flying a mission in the F14 I found that I could not get into the cockpit, let alone try to fly. I decided to play DCS so I can fly, not to watch the AI fly itself... Since I was only trying to find it what kind of use I can have for Helios (I don't have the room for a full cockpit setup and need to be able to move my flightsim gear needs to be moved aside in a minute) so I decided to uninstall Helios and stick with what I had already (DCS with ReShade, SRS and VoiceAttack). This proved more challenging then simply clicking Uninstall on both Helios and DCS because apparently that doesn't remove the files that link Helios and it's resolution settings upon uninstalling. In fact, it proved impossible to only remove Helios without also uninstalling DCS and removing all remaining files (including all missions/ controls/ etc.) because DCS holds on to the Helios required resolution for dear life (nice challenge when you have DCS on a 4K 43" monitor and Helios on a Full HD 24" screen, there is always some crucial button beside any of the screens). I know have a clean install of DCS again but it would be nice if Helios would not get in the way of flying and would reset any related files in the DCS folders upon uninstalling or at least have some guide as to which file(-s) to modify and how to make sure DCS gets back to before Helios installation when uninstalling Helios.

AMD Ryzen 5600G, RX7900 XTX, 48GB 27" 1440P monitor and Oculus Quest 2. WinWing Orion 2 w/ FA18 throttle, VKB Gladiator EVO w/ F14 grip, Logitech G rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, WinWing MFD and Voice Attack.

Planes: F14A/B Tomcat, mostly the B, F/A 18 C Hornet

Modules/ maps: Super carrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf