Radar can't see buildings

LastRifleRound

But can see much smaller vehicles.

To recreate:

In the ME, pick a very large building, like an aircraft hangar or a warehouse. Place it on a nice flat area. Place a waypoint over it.

You won't see it on the radar.

Now, place a small vehicle, like a Mobile cmd jeep or some such right on top of the building.

You will see a small dot where the vehicle is.

It seems hit or miss as to what map objects will and will not appear on the radar, and placed static objects never show, which makes it kind of a pain for making missions. I never know what things I can use for nav updates or targets if I expect the pilot to be able to recognize ithem on radar.

I don't think HB can do much about it. It's just the way the DCS engine treats static placable buildings. They also don't show up in TacView tracks.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I know nothing of the Viggen radar but, do other "built-in" buildings show up? Some A/G radars would remove "ground clutter" and filter out buildings, or the other way around, only show objects I.e. tanks and such that match a signature they are looking for.

I know nothing of the Viggen radar but, do other "built-in" buildings show up? Some A/G radars would remove "ground clutter" and filter out buildings, or the other way around, only show objects I.e. tanks and such that match a signature they are looking for.

Yes for the most part and the Viggen features no such processing

I suspect this but can't get official acknowledgement anywhere

I'll look into it, the answer will likely be however that we can only see what DCS chooses to show us. If that makes sense. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hey Mike, the latest update now shows static buildings for the Hornet's AG radar. Virtually all placeable structures are now visible.

The Viggen, however, can still only see vehicles. (Ironically, there's a bug in the Hornet now where vehicles don't show anymore, but it's been reported an they're working on it).

The Viggen needs to be updated to show these objects now.

I wonder if the Viggen radar was ever intended to find buildings but rather ships on the open sea so maybe it doesn't need an update?

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

The Viggen radar in DCS is OK.

IRL we used the Radar to find targets on the Sea. That was the primary task for the Viggen.

Over land we sometimes looked for a lake or a river but the radar was not intended for that.

Our normal height over the terrain was often 20-50 meters, then the Radar is useless.

We used our nav-system and a Map to find our targets over land.

I appreciate the insight hilmerby.

However, this is a bug report, it is simply a recognition that things are not likely working as the developer intended. Whether or not you think the developer should intend them is a topic for a different thread. As a non pilot, I can't speak to any of that and that is not the point of this thread. Getting continuity for sensor recognized objects accross modules is an important task, regardless of how useful you may or may not find it in a particular module.

The developers intent is likely to be able to show large structures. Reasoning is it can currently show something as small as a BTR and can show certain large in map structures. This is illogical. Either BTRs (and other similarly sized objects) and large map structures shouldn't show or large structures of most kinds should. There is no reason at the 15km scale I can see a house in a village but not a giant metal aircraft hangar. Those two things can't be true at the same time.

I think we shall fcus om the problem we have with the abnormal lights preventing You to fly Night missions.and to use RB05 in daylight

There will always be bugs but if we can get Viggen safe to fly around the clock we can then go ahead with bugs like Yours

I think we shall fcus om the problem we have with the abnormal lights preventing You to fly Night missions.and to use RB05 in daylight

There will always be bugs but if we can get Viggen safe to fly around the clock we can then go ahead with bugs like Yours

It's not my job to prioritize or focus anything. Those bugs have been reported and acknowledged with myriad threads. I have found another bug and made a report in a separate thread. It's not a popularity contest. If you want to make a thread in the discussion section talking about what priorities HB should have, by all means do so. But this thread isn't about that.

• 1 month later...