Radio contact to a Tower during the CS procedure

kievbsm

Hello,

Could somebody who knows help me to understand how I can contact to the carrier Tower when I begin my flight as a pilot with Jester as RIO?

Standard procedure is:

- connect to ground and call for the external power and air supply

- arm catapult sit and check oxygen

- ask Jester about starting.

When he said that he closed the canopy and report "Ready to start!" I think that I need to contact the Tower with start engine request.

If mission editor set the frequency for the Carrier tower, which belongs to AN/ARC-159 (Pilot radio) range I can contact to the Tower and everything is ok.

However, if the Tower has the frequency belongs to AN/ARC-182 (RIO radio) range I cannot connect to the Tower until even one engine had started. I can ask Jester to change the frequency, but cannot use it.

Is it not enough to plug in external power to use the AN/ARC-182 (RIO radio) for me as for a pilot or I do something wrong?

As pilot u can access both 159 and 182 radios. There is binding in control settings to open menu for each radio

Pretty sure this is what has been biting me in the butt for a long time. I assumed my DCS was just bugged, turned out it was more advanced than I was prepared for.

As pilot u can access both 159 and 182 radios. There is binding in control settings to open menu for each radio

That's a problem!

I have access for both of them but 182 radio doesn't work from the pilot place If you have't start a least one engine. :music_whistling:

Afaik IRL it was the ground crew who had a contact with Boss and pilot/RIO did start the jet according to ground crew signs. Comms might be bugged for the start up. Some times it takes 2 calls to get an answer.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

That's a problem!

I have access for both of them but 182 radio doesn't work from the pilot place If you have't start a least one engine. :music_whistling:

Well what version of DCS you using? Before Jester started radio in FM frequency and you had to ask him to manually change to AM frequency. It was changed in recent patch so that Jester starts with AM as default.