Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

F-35 A/B/C Community Mod

13 hours ago, F-35 Guy said:

Dude do you complain like this about the F-22 mod by Grinnelli? Also the plane flight model is available out of videos regarding AOA

Don't get so worked up. I'm just asking legitimate questions so we can know what to expect. 
I don't use the Grinnelli F-22 mod, tbh. 
But back to the F-35 mod, it sounds like it'll be more "artistic license", than factual. 
And the -35 being better than the F-22? Based on what argument? Two completely different missions and designs that are decades apart. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

Don't get so worked up. I'm just asking legitimate questions so we can know what to expect. 
I don't use the Grinnelli F-22 mod, tbh. 
But back to the F-35 mod, it sounds like it'll be more "artistic license", than factual. 
And the -35 being better than the F-22? Based on what argument? Two completely different missions and designs that are decades apart. 

Just now, F-35 Guy said:

Multi role yes. Air to air dominates. Has a 20-1 red flag and a 22-0 red flag. It’s more than a competitor to F-22

7 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

So you're a fact by internet type of...  um, person. 
Ok. 
Have fun with your F-35-ish mod. 

These are legit titles. The red flag records came from US Air Force generals and the Air Show guy there is a F-35 test pilot. Maybe I can’t get it exact, but I’d rather have that than nothing at all. I also get the feeling you are not a free mod person at all. So what are you doing in a forum for mods? 

1 hour ago, F-35 Guy said:

So what are you doing in a forum for mods? 

I'm looking forward to the T-38 mod. I routinely use the A-4E, OV-10, F-4C/D and F-16I Sufa. I used to use the A-29B, but it keeps getting broken by each update. So, I'm interested in mods, as they add aircraft that ED can't or won't.
The F-35 is a very ambitious project to bring to DCS, hence my interest in this thread. To be done right, it needs SMEs to validate how it flies and integrates with the pilot. Unless you're just looking for a heavy F-16 with a new 3D model replacement. 

As for the F-35 record. Yes, it's a good platform. The sensor suite is stunning and allows for unprecedented SA for the pilot. In a turn fight, a F-16 can and will beat it. Even a Super Hornet. Wait for the Typhoon. It's strengths are that it can be pretty invisible and shoot first before detection. After that, it can be beat. Especially by a F-22. In November, I personally listened to the fight between 6 VFC-12 Supers, crush some F-35s in under 5 minutes. Lastly, the F-22 has a 241:2 kill ratio in it's best RF performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

I'm looking forward to the T-38 mod. I routinely use the A-4E, OV-10, F-4C/D and F-16I Sufa. I used to use the A-29B, but it keeps getting broken by each update. So, I'm interested in mods, as they add aircraft that ED can't or won't.
The F-35 is a very ambitious project to bring to DCS, hence my interest in this thread. To be done right, it needs SMEs to validate how it flies and integrates with the pilot. Unless you're just looking for a heavy F-16 with a new 3D model replacement. 

As for the F-35 record. Yes, it's a good platform. The sensor suite is stunning and allows for unprecedented SA for the pilot. In a turn fight, a F-16 can and will beat it. Even a Super Hornet. Wait for the Typhoon. Its strengths are that it can be pretty invisible and shoot first before detection. After that, it can be beat. Especially by a F-22. In November, I personally listened to the fight between 6 VFC-12 Supers, crush some F-35s in under 5 minutes. Lastly, the F-22 has a 241:2 kill ratio in its best RF performance. 

The  F-22 that is the king of the dogfight, no doubt about that, however it has the capability one v one to beat an F-16. The reason it didn’t back in 2013 or 14 when they did the test was because the F-35 had its virtual hands tied behind its back. No DAS. No 9 G pull, it was regulated to 4-5 gs. And even then it almost got a shot off once. The F-16 and it when squared equally or with F-16 advantage the F-16 would beat it. However, when the F-35 had advantage it got caught in a stale mate. A lot of that test and many others are extremely classified. But have you ever seen it at an airshow? Because I have, and I think it could only be said to be F-22 esque 

16 hours ago, F-35 Guy said:

But have you ever seen it at an airshow? Because I have...

So you're basing your entire argument on it's performance and capability in the BFM realm, on an airshow performance? LMAO.
Ok, I see and understand how your mod will be. Done trying to have a conversation with a kid. 

• Like 2

Geez F-22 and F-35 guys get along about as much as F-14 and Super Hornet Guys did in the 2000's.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

18 hours ago, F-35 Guy said:

But have you ever seen it at an airshow? Because I have, and I think it could only be said to be F-22 esque 

At air shows, the planes fly with little fuel and no payload at all. 

The F-35 simply has too little lift area (except perhaps for the C variant) to be a good dogfighter. With digital flight controls you can get the maximum out of these limited aerodynamics, but you can't outsmart the laws of physics. 

The F-35 doesn't even have thrust vectoring to compensate for this disadvantage. 

The F-35 was never intended to be an air superiority fighter. Its advantages lie in its superior sensor equipment and its ability to operate in a datalinked network of different units. This creates a superior situational awareness for the pilot. 

Edited by Ithronwise
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

40 minutes ago, Ithronwise said:

At air shows, the planes fly with little fuel and no payload at all. 

The F-35 simply has too little lift area (except perhaps for the C variant) to be a good dogfighter. With digital flight controls you can get the maximum out of these limited aerodynamics, but you can't outsmart the laws of physics. 

The F-35 doesn't even have thrust vectoring to compensate for this disadvantage. 

The F-35 was never intended to be an air superiority fighter. Its advantages lie in its superior sensor equipment and its ability to operate in a datalinked network of different units. This creates a superior situational awareness for the pilot. 

At airshows, they are governed by Public demonstration restrictions in altitude and maneuvers.

in fact, the USAF F-22 demo team recently got in trouble for violating those restrictions.

It was a fantastic show, but the restrictions are there for crowd safety.

You cannot judge and aircraft's capabilities by an airshow tactical demonstration.

I have seen all 3 F-35s as well as the F-22's current tactical demonstrations, as well as talk to pilots of both F-35Cs and F-22s daily.

F-22 is more Agile Physically, but avionics were designed around old processors and system language which inhibits upgradability as well as battlefield connectivity.
Couple that with the tooling still M.I.A. from the crates.. and we are down to what 182 flight capable units (I'll have to check to see how many were lost in the last storm).

F-35 is a network hub w/ wings, that thing can connect to practically any battlefield system, pilots can literally see through their plane.

yes, the Airforce airframe can pull 9Gs, but only in limited situations and configurations, (airshow configuration w/ no pylons and limited fuel being one of them.)
Marines and Naval versions are limited to 7.5Gs globally.
the F-22 can pull 9 G's in nearly every configuration. (except w/ external pylons attached, I believe they are limited to 7.5G)

A single F-22 Pilot recently took out 6 F-15Es and 6 F-35s in an exercise, and not 1 pilot was able to get anywhere close to a firing solution on the F-22.

The only negative things about the F-22A is the Processor core suite, System language, and the fact that production was halted in under 200 units w/ no chance of even ordering more or to develop an improved block w/ newer avionics.

F-35 basically got handed it's job on a platter, congress decided to take money from the F-22 program and give it to the F-35 program.
Super Hornet program was cut short for the Navy, and the Legacy hornet upgrade program was cancelled for the USMC.

The only aircraft left that it was meant to replace is the F-16, it was designed to be a connected battlefield aircraft along side the F-15EX (and originally block III SH, but the navy has already decided to move to a pure F-35C Fleet in a few decades). The F-16s is like the Honda Civic of the export Fighter Aircraft market, there are endless variants and addon options .

There's really 5 F-35 Variants, as some of the export versions have distinct changes that affect the flight envelope.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

I'm a tanker guy. The holes all look the same to me 😉

what about their probes ? lmao.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, F-35 Guy said:

In the end if it has a sidewinder you’re dead. It won’t need to go BFM. After all it can fire backwards. Let’s see the F-22 do that. 

Too bad the F-35 can't carry AIM-9X in its weapons bay, only on the wing pylons. 

Because of the higher RCS it would be dead long before the F-22 is in its Sidewinder range. 😉

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ithronwise said:

Too bad the F-35 can't carry AIM-9X in its weapons bay, only on the wing pylons. 

Because of the higher RCS it would be dead long before the F-22 is in its Sidewinder range. 😉

How big of an RCS change is it? From what I understand it’s only like.01 or something. I don’t know how RCS is rated but that seems pretty small to me. And I THINK( I’m not positive about this) that the AIM-9X-2 or AIM-9X-3 will be able to fire from the weapons bays.

12 minutes ago, F-35 Guy said:

And I THINK( I’m not positive about this) that the AIM-9X-2 or AIM-9X-3 will be able to fire from the weapons bays.

The AIM-9X Block II and Block II-plus still cannot be carried in the weapons bay. 

When I talked about the airshow it came out different than intended. I just mean that maybe, it gets overlooked just a little too much. Most people hate it. Until about 8 months ago I thought it was horrible. Than I started digging, and found that it can more than hold its own in a dogfight and has the most advanced weapons and sensors of any plane on the planet. That’s when gears started turning. So I don’t know where I was going here. But I’m just saying do some actual research. I’m not making stuff up here. Those are actual things. So just back off it a little.

5 hours ago, F-35 Guy said:

When I talked about the airshow it came out different than intended. I just mean that maybe, it gets overlooked just a little too much. Most people hate it. Until about 8 months ago I thought it was horrible. Than I started digging, and found that it can more than hold its own in a dogfight and has the most advanced weapons and sensors of any plane on the planet. That’s when gears started turning. So I don’t know where I was going here. But I’m just saying do some actual research. I’m not making stuff up here. Those are actual things. So just back off it a little.

And the A-10 could destroy in close in with its guns.

• Like 2