Black Shark deep penetration mission?

Flyby

The mission -could- be constructed such that you -will- most likely fail if you do not plan, pay attention, fly that good plan, pay attention, and don't employ teamwork.

That's exactly the kind of mission I'd envisaged...

Not difficult to complete, but you need to plan, and stick to it...

I'd probably design it so it was the culmination of 2 or 3 scouting type missions beforehand which would build the intel picture for you.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It'll be interesting (well..to me anyway) to see how we implement missions in a "low intensity" setting..

To my mind, that means No SAM's, no patrolling fast movers , infact possibly no enemy units capable of confliction...just tasking without "real" combat risk beyond small arms fire (allthough a good designer will still put in consequences for success / failure).

The following "types" of tasking immediately spring to mind:

- Track a vehicle to see where it goes .aka... intel has an enemy rebel leader going to a meeting; need to find where it is beeing held..that kind of thing..could be implemented by having multiple triggers that are true if your unit + the enemy unit are in the same area at the same time ? (though if you get too close, your spotted andthe mission is invalidated)

- Isolate and destroy a single building in a certain village at a certain time of day , causing no collateral damage.

- assist local militia in chasing off a rebel incursion on the ground simply by beeing present on the field (maybe help 'em along with a few rockets)

that kind of thing...not major millitary operations (as we currently have in LOMAC) , but small localised things: much more in keeping with the KA50's role in the scheme of things.

...I can feel a campain coming on where you ARE a breakaway rebel group, and a stolen KA50 + some fuel and limited ammo are your only real combat assets (apart from the odd stinger / AK)...the goal of the campain is to conserve Ammo and fuel in your allocated tasks to help your cause, and keep alive/undamaged at all costs, whilst terrorising local vallages etc.. ;)

• ED Team
So say then that you create such a mission;

1. if it's really a deep mission how will those supplies of fuel and ammunition be put in place so deep inside enemy territory?

2. Will the extra fuel tanks be actually visible in game or will they merely be software overrides to the fuel supply?

This actually brings up a new feature that we have not talked about. In DCS, the presence of refueling, cargo and generator vehicles at a FARP will determine if the player has the capability to refuel, re-arm or use external power when operating from the FARP. So, if these vehicles are destroyed, then you will be out of luck when trying to re-equip. Also, has been mentioned before, in DCS you can now selectively re-arm your aircraft when landed at an airbase or FARP and change your payloads for different ones -- no need to restart a mission. You can also swap helmet devices when at a base (NVG or HMS).

Such units are placed at the FARP by the mission designer; they are not automatically generated there.

• ED Team

The rearm, refuel and electric power at the airfields does not depend on vehicles vehicles. However, the radio communications to request these depend on the tower (tower must not be destroyed). If tower is destroyed, the communications can be restore with either the SKP-11 for red side or HMMVW M1025 for blue side. As such, you could set up a scenario where if the tower is destroyed a mobile commo vehicle is dispatched to the airbase.

Can an airfield be set-up for only red or blue coalition? And is there a possibility to have a non-operational airfield?

I guess the latter could be achieved by making an ai unit destroy the tower right after mission start.. But i'm hoping the coalition of each airfield can be set-up with the ME..

thanks for chiming in Wags

This actually brings up a new feature that we have not talked about. In DCS, the presence of refueling, cargo and generator vehicles at a FARP will determine if the player has the capability to refuel, re-arm or use external power when operating from the FARP. So, if these vehicles are destroyed, then you will be out of luck when trying to re-equip. Also, has been mentioned before, in DCS you can now selectively re-arm your aircraft when landed at an airbase or FARP and change your payloads for different ones -- no need to restart a mission. You can also swap helmet devices when at a base (NVG or HMS).

Such units are placed at the FARP by the mission designer; they are not automatically generated there.

So, though deep penetration strikes are not the forte of the Ka-50, at least farps could be placed and specifically outfitted within the ME. That is very cool. I knew I was on to something! :music_whistling:

btw, anyone care to comment on why the Black Shark has tank-busting capability, but is considered an a/c for low-intensity action? I guess it will be unrealistic to place the BS in the modern battlefield ala LOMAC.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Don't want to be a pest but is there a list (screenshots) of the FARPS vehicles available in game?

Is a vehicle like this too unweldly for a FARP mission?

a034ddd2c4d2a9d803171a11beb82f14.jpg

Because when it was conceived, its main competitor would have been probably the AH-1 in european terrain. The aircraft has not been updated to a modern spec that I know of; there are some one-off variants, but the operational article appears to be more or less what's modeled in DCS, and due to the old technology used therein, it's no longer a contender on the modern battlefield. A few updates could change this, but the Mi-28 has now been chosen to fill Russia's need for an attack helicopter.

btw, anyone care to comment on why the Black Shark has tank-busting capability, but is considered an a/c for low-intensity action? I guess it will be unrealistic to place the BS in the modern battlefield ala LOMAC.

Flyby out

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

These deep penetration missions are not typical for attack helos.

Fixed wing aircrafts are faster, have better payload e better range.

You can do it, but it's not so common or realistic.

This is true, but I ask everyone not to get carried away with the word deep... Things are relative here. Deep in this situation means in the terms of an attack helicopter, not for a fast mover.

I'm also considering this mission to be in the a heavilly fortified Regional SAM threat here (Patriot) for example, and in terrain conditions that a fixed wing aircraft would not be able to operate. Terrain masking and concealment are the aim of the game here, and not in mountains and valleys.

Attack helicopters sneak in, take a peek, kill high priority targets, attack helicopters retreat.

For example, a fuel convoy on it's way to re-supply a armoured company. If you don't find / kill them and they make it to the waiting Tanks, they will then re-join the front lines, and the next mission will be 50% more difficult, and might even may cut off your escape route back to your FARP if you're not prepared :devil:

No major battelfield scenarios, no Rambo moments where you are expected to kill an entire battalion of tanks, but plenty of danger if you don't plan, co-ordinate and stray off course.

That springs one queston to mind... Can the DCS guys tell me if a fuel bowser will go boom, or will it go BOOOOOOOOOOM! in DCS?

;)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because when it was conceived, its main competitor would have been probably the AH-1 in european terrain. The aircraft has not been updated to a modern spec that I know of; there are some one-off variants, but the operational article appears to be more or less what's modeled in DCS, and due to the old technology used therein, it's no longer a contender on the modern battlefield. A few updates could change this, but the Mi-28 has now been chosen to fill Russia's need for an attack helicopter.

Thanks for that GGT. I guess the BS is sort of like a sniper in that once detected it may be easily defeated in a modern battlefield. But it has to be detected.

Also, a shout-out to Ferocious Imbecile. I think I misunderstood your original post in this thread. Sorry about that.;)

Flyby out

btw, Highwayman I like your thinking!:thumbup:

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

That springs one queston to mind... Can the DCS guys tell me if a fuel bowser will go boom, or will it go BOOOOOOOOOOM! in DCS?

;)

And Option #3.............Poooooffff! :D

:pilotfly:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ok here is my idea. I am a Merc. and want to steal a KA-50 to add to my growing underground resintance force. I get to the helo and set a triger with a count down befor plains take off and AA is alearted (spawn) At take off the KA-50 had only rockets and half load of cannon rounds. Option 1 waist time destroing plains on ground befor escape. 2 make a run for it hoping to make it in the hills to hide. 3 Call in a arty from ground tropes as I take off to cover my escape. 4 combine all four fun. :D

thin you have the makings for a bunch of Merc deep strikes on low priorty targts and mabe some others. just some of the thoughts in my head.....:smilewink:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

The result is: You get shot by the soldiers on duty before you get to the chopper.

Alternatively, by the time you power up the chopper, an APC wastes you ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This is a FIREFOX movie thought where you are undercover and can get to the choper. the count down would be that they relize that you are not one of thim too late. just a first mission to get things roling with a story line.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

A MiG catches up to you and you go down in flames? ... ;)

Hehe, sorry - anyway, I guess you could try making a mission like that, but I think it would belong in the 'movie' category ... ie. you should make a DCS movie instead of a mission :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]