MCG Ultimate. Close up.

AeroGator

As a temporary fix, seems the screw that secures the grip attachment point to the base also fits the twist lock hole. So I’m using the screw from my MCG Pro for now. It’s a bit too long, and doesn’t 100% prevent twisting, but it’s better than nothing.

15 minutes ago, GregP said:

As a temporary fix, seems the screw that secures the grip attachment point to the base also fits the twist lock hole. So I’m using the screw from my MCG Pro for now. It’s a bit too long, and doesn’t 100% prevent twisting, but it’s better than nothing.

Ah good to know I should be able to do the same, thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

37 minutes ago, GregP said:

Thanks, man that temp fix will work, until we here from VKB.

UPDATE: Just got a response from fallout9 on VKB forum he stated; The screw is M3x8mm, even 10mm fits.

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

4 hours ago, GregP said:

Has anyone else’s boxes included a little screw for locking the twist mechanism? I just realized that seems to be the one thing missing from mine.

I didn't get a locking screw either. A bit of an oversight for the "Ultimate Grip". I used to have all of my VKB twist grips locked, but I unlocked them all after I learned how to map buttons to the axis. So I have several locking screws in the box where I keep all of my VKB parts. I use a 5-button map with the extreme left and extreme right buttons set to G8, which is a repeating pattern. I don't use the center button at all. So, I map this setup for paging through the kneeboard: twist a little to the left or right to see previous and next page, twist a lot and hold it there to rapidly flip through pages. 

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

47 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

I use a 5-button map with the extreme left and extreme right buttons set to G8, which is a repeating pattern. I don't use the center button at all. So, I map this setup for paging through the kneeboard: twist a little to the left or right to see previous and next page, twist a lot and hold it there to rapidly flip through pages. 

Hey, cool idea there, thanks for mentioning that.  For the kneeboards commands I tend to just reach forward and use my keyboard, but sure would be nice to have them on the stick without sacrificing 'real' buttons in the process.

7 hours ago, streakeagle said:

I didn't get a locking screw either. A bit of an oversight for the "Ultimate Grip". I used to have all of my VKB twist grips locked, but I unlocked them all after I learned how to map buttons to the axis. So I have several locking screws in the box where I keep all of my VKB parts. I use a 5-button map with the extreme left and extreme right buttons set to G8, which is a repeating pattern. I don't use the center button at all. So, I map this setup for paging through the kneeboard: twist a little to the left or right to see previous and next page, twist a lot and hold it there to rapidly flip through pages. 

Yeah pretty good idea on using that twist for more button commands.

Do you not find yourself twisting it unintentionally whilst flying?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I generally use the stick with a very light touch unless I am in a rolling scissors. But even in a scissors, I rarely twist the stick. The springs in the axis are fairly tight, you don't get any drift if you don't apply enough pressure. What pushed me in this direction was the F-14 grip. It correctly has very few controls and on the F-14 almost all of them are fully used (the trim hat center press is the one extra unused control), so using the twist axis was a nice bonus. After that, I removed the screws from my SCG and MCG grips, too. I wish the TM grip adapters and the KG12 grips had the twist axis as well, as I could very much use the extra buttons when using those sticks. i.e. the F/A-18 uses almost all available controls when using the F/A-18 grip as the F-16 and A-10 use all of the controls when using the Warthog grip, and the KG12 has almost no buttons at all.

If I wasn't so insistent on trying to use the most correct grip when flying particular aircraft, the MCG Pro is the one-size-fits-all solution. Every aircraft in DCS World can be mapped to that grip in a fairly realistic layout compared to the real grip control layouts and still leave plenty of extra buttons for personal control preferences. I have tried to standardize certain auxiliary assignments such as the kneeboard, F1 view, F10 view, labels, and show pilot functions so that the mapping is as similar as possible when flying different aircraft. The twist grip kneeboard paging assignments are a part of this freeing up two buttons and adding the ability to rapidly flip through the pages.

As of last night, I had completed mapping the Ultimate for my most commonly flown jet aircraft and performed flights along the way to enjoy each one and verify the correct mapping. But I still have a ton of other aircraft to map and I haven't even started on the helicopters or WW2 aircraft. The only aircraft module I don't own is the JF-17. It is times like these that I realize just how big the DCS library has gotten and how much money I have spent on it between software and hardware. But even including the cost of building a whole new PC, it is still way cheaper than getting and keeping a private license. The annual flight physical and fuel costs are enough to discourage me given that I can otherwise spend that money on my 1981 Corvette and PC flight sims, both of which I can enjoy nearly every single day.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good to know thanks for the info!

I am going to have to be careful I don't get tempted to buy those other grips LOL.

Perhaps I will be fine with the new Ultimate grip without locking it for all my needs. I really like my MCG Pro grip as well.

Don B

Someone posted the size of that locking screw on the VKB forum.

It is M3x8mm, alternatively 10mm will work also.

I will be going to hardware store tomorrow anyway for something else and will pick a couple of these screws up as well to have. Grip due in tomorrow by noon. Have already downloaded the files I need, ready and raring to go!

Can't wait to feel this baby in my hands!

Don B

OMG - It has arrived:

nrNO5EN.jpg

Z5DUbyW.jpg

The weight and feel of this thing in my hand, pure awesomeness!

I may have to add a spring to both axis in my extended Gunfighter Mk III Pro-L.

Off to mount and flash the firmware. You even get a couple of extra hat button covers and a long philips head screwdriver which I assume would be used to change those hats out. You can see them in my pic.

Oh and some black button covers should one want to change the theme to all black. Very cool.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

The Ultimate mounted now to my Gunfighter MK III Pro, flashed and calibrated - all buttons/axis working great. Nice green indicator button below that top left button.

Feels so nice in the hand!

Pretty sure I am going to replace those three round buttons with the black ones.

May also replace the top hat with the other one, will see how it feels.

I tried to load my profile I had with my MCG Pro original, I don't think it liked doing that so had to scratch that idea. Not a big deal though.

I will say - everything about this VKB Ultimate Grip just screams quality! I am highly impressed! Now I have a full metal stick top to bottom.

aAYlYMi.jpg

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Yet another cool feature of this Ultimate Grip.

The Master Mode Hat ( upper middle) has always been a 2 function hat, either as 8 way POV hat, or relative axis in horizontal and vertical.

You switch modes by a long press of the middle hat button.

Now with the Ultimate, it gives you a red LED beside the green LED on upper left of grip, to let you know when it is in relative axis mode.

Pretty cool. 

09ZRJAU.jpg

Don B

I programmed a few LED's on my TM Warthog throttle to lid up when i'm in a certain axis mode. Works nice (in pancake).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Ah one final note, I keep thinking of things lol.

My grip is also the twist version, so I have an extra axis for twist of the grip. It is a nice firm twist and may come in handy for me if I do something like Elite Dangerous, or maybe even in Star Wars Squadrons. But you can lock that axis with a screw also, which is what I have done for now. I went ahead and calibrated that axis when I did the calibration on the grip to have just in case. I reckon one could also use for rudder if they don't have pedals, but I imagen most that go with this grip probably already have pedals.

It is my understanding this first batch of product was all twist axis - the next batch I believe they will be offering both non twist and twist.

Don B

I changed out three of my button caps on the Ultimate Grip, two gray and one red that came installed, for the three black that came included as extras.

Now it is my stealth grip - I shall henceforth refer to her as " Black Beauty".

vRKMSOe.jpg

Enough messing around, time to go fly.

:pilotfly:

• Like 1

Don B

It is nice to have options 🙂 I like the optional trim and castle hats, too. But the biggest gain isn't the weight or the button/hat color and shape options, it is the swtich/axis swap out options and button/switch/trigger quality and tactile feel upgrades. I was happy with the original, but this just feels so much better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, streakeagle said:

It is nice to have options 🙂 I like the optional trim and castle hats, too. But the biggest gain isn't the weight or the button/hat color and shape options, it is the swtich/axis swap out options and button/switch/trigger quality and tactile feel upgrades. I was happy with the original, but this just feels so much better.

How easy is it to change out one of the switches? I wanted to give that a try but was not sure how involved it might be.

On the Master Mode Hat, does changing it out still retain the ability for the relative axis on a long press of the hat?

Edit: Just found a video on this on VKB You Tube channel. Will check it out.

Edit 2: It sure looks simple enough, no need to even separate grip. I think I will switch the Master Mode at least.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I never used the relative trim axis and only rarely used the cursor control axis. I have far more use for simple 4-way hats with center depress.

All I did was take out the screw and swap in the hat switch modules, which are keyed to ensure proper installation. I considered retaining the cursor control because I can program it to simultaneously be both cursor x-y analog axes and a 4-way hat with center depress, but I love the feel of the 4-way hat module over the analog module.

If DCS ever fully models the MiG-29, Su-27 or any other aircraft I will regularly fly that have analog cursor controls on the stick, then I can easily swap it back in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, streakeagle said:

I never used the relative trim axis and only rarely used the cursor control axis. I have far more use for simple 4-way hats with center depress.

All I did was take out the screw and swap in the hat switch modules, which are keyed to ensure proper installation. I considered retaining the cursor control because I can program it to simultaneously be both cursor x-y analog axes and a 4-way hat with center depress, but I love the feel of the 4-way hat module over the analog module.

If DCS ever fully models the MiG-29, Su-27 or any other aircraft I will regularly fly that have analog cursor controls on the stick, then I can easily swap it back in.

Ok thanks, I was curious if one swapped that Master Mode hat out would it still have that relative axis via long press function or not, sounds like it doesn't. I have currently mapped both functions but not flown much using them yet, so I may find I don't really need what I mapped there. I think I have Radar Elevation Control for the Hornet mapped currently to the relative axis of that hat.

Edited by dburne

Don B

So this morning I replaced my Gate (ministick) on the left side of grip with the included Hat that gives me 5 buttons ( 4 plus push).

h02N1iS.jpg

Took me all of 5 minutes. Very cool feature. There is also another that can be used to replace the Master Mode Hat (middle top) , but I like how that hat can be used as either 8 way POV Hat or with a long press a relative axis in x and y so I am leaving it as is for now.

More buttons available now to map, yeah baby!

Edited by dburne

Don B

Something else that is nice---the actual hats on all four of the modules are interchangeable, too.  They simply slide off with a gentle tug.

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

• 2 months later...

Interested also to upgrade to VBK MCG Ultimate but I was wondering how tall is the stick with Gunfigher MkIII base? Cannot seem to find the info from web.

What is the distance (cm)  from desk surface to palm rest  and from palm rest to top of stick? 

I'm currently using TM Warthog on top of desk and it has been perfect ( never had any neck or shoulder problems despite hours of play time... ) 

I was planning to order without z-axis / twist as I use rudder pedals - Any reason to take twist function? 

Also how are the VBK delivery times to Europe looking at the moment?

Post Script - Also if those with experience have any feedback on the product? 

Thank you in advance for any info!

Edited by Kiituri
  • Like 1

This may give you an idea...

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=10082

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Enjoy !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2