[Version 1.8 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

• 3 months later...

This is really great, like other people said, it "just works." Are you still involved/maintaining the project? I noticed no updates on github in the last 9 mo. I would really love to have the pylon selectors / jettison module available as those are something I might need to use quickly in combat and can be hard to click on in the heat of the moment!

Member of TAW-North America.

Practices Thursdays at 2045 Eastern. Missions Sundays at 1945 Eastern.

F/A-18C | A-10C | AV-8B | M2000C | Huey | KA-50

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, lwalter said:

What should come next?

I'm thinking of counter measures panels, but please provide your suggestions.

F-15E Strike Eagle UFC?

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All, I'd like to give some news about iUFCExport.

A few months ago, I bought a Quest 2 and went into VR with DCS. As you can imagine, an iPad is unfortunately no use in VR and as many of you read from VR thread in this forum, once you used DCS in VR and found good graphic settings, it's very difficult to go back to a flat screen 🙂

However, I got requests to enhance my iPad application for new planes and new panels. Once my work gets a little less crazy, I'll spend again time on this app. Adding new panels is not too hard actually. I'll try to write some guidelines for those with some development background so that they could contribute to the source code on GitHub. 

Stay tuned!

• Thanks 1

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

I’m a big fan of your application and thankful for your willingness to update it, especially since you won’t be using it personally. Kudos and thanks for the effort! Looking forward to seeing an F-15E update. 

Edited by LTCjRet

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.7.1 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

Release new version 1.7.1 this weekend.

It's just a patch to fix some button push issues (not registered or stuck in DCS).

(It was also to make sure I could still build and publish it in the Apple App Store, since I haven't touched it for a while 🙂 )

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

On 6/27/2023 at 8:47 PM, lwalter said:

All, I'd like to give some news about iUFCExport.

A few months ago, I bought a Quest 2 and went into VR with DCS. As you can imagine, an iPad is unfortunately no use in VR and as many of you read from VR thread in this forum, once you used DCS in VR and found good graphic settings, it's very difficult to go back to a flat screen 🙂

However, I got requests to enhance my iPad application for new planes and new panels. Once my work gets a little less crazy, I'll spend again time on this app. Adding new panels is not too hard actually. I'll try to write some guidelines for those with some development background so that they could contribute to the source code on GitHub. 

Stay tuned!

You can thank me later 🙂

Best of both worlds....

image.png

2 hours ago, Phantom_Mark said:

You can thank me later 🙂

Best of both worlds....

image.png

not sure what you mean by best of both worlds ? you mean using a VR headset and iUFCExport on an iPad at the same time?

By trimming the lower eye surround you get the full VR experience, whilst being able to see your hardware and screens out the bottom when needed, personally I don't find it hurts the VR experience one bit, also means your face is a lot cooler as well, double bonus.

Guys I need some help. I have an old iPad 3 running IOS 9.3.5

I tried to download iUFCExport from Apple store and it says it is not compatible with my iPad.

Any ideas, workarounds, solutions ?

the iUFCExport page also says we either download it from store or we build it from source with xcode. I downloaded source already. Instructions for this procedure?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, BMamba said:

Guys I need some help. I have an old iPad 3 running IOS 9.3.5

I tried to download iUFCExport from Apple store and it says it is not compatible with my iPad.

Any ideas, workarounds, solutions ?

the iUFCExport page also says we either download it from store or we build it from source with xcode. I downloaded source already. Instructions for this procedure?

Anyone ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 5:22 AM, BMamba said:

???

Installing it through the app store is impossible as your iPad is obsolete now.  It's a bummer, but just the way apple does it.

You could possibly jail break the iPad.  Or use some developer tools to build the app.  However, if the developer built it for a newer iOS version (hence why you can't install it) it may not work anyways.

Sad to say you name need a newer iPad.  I ran into the same issue a few years ago.  

• Thanks 1

Any update on the F-15E?

Talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can detect

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU@4.5Ghz, ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, 64GB Corsair Venegence DDR 3200 RAM, MSI Rtx 3060 12GB Primary GPU, ASUS GTX 1650 4GB Secondary GPU, 40" 1920x1080 Samsung Monitor, 32" 1360x768 Sony Monitor, 32" Dynex 1360x768 Monitor, 1TB Seagate Firecuda M2 PCIe 4 OS SSD, 2TB Western Digital Blue M2 PCIe 3 storage SSD, 8TB Samsung 870QVO storage SSD, Western Digital Blue 1TB storage SATA, 2x Thrustmaster T16000 (LH and RH), Warthog Joy/Throttle/TPRS, 6 x Cougar MFDs (4 with Generic VGA 800x600 displays), Track IR 5 with IR Trackstar V3, Logitech G910 Tactile Keyboard, Logitech G604 Lightspeed Mouse, Logitech F310 Gamepad, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Soul: None (sold long ago to the MGOMU, also known as Princess)

On 8/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, idowza said:

Installing it through the app store is impossible as your iPad is obsolete now.  It's a bummer, but just the way apple does it.

You could possibly jail break the iPad.  Or use some developer tools to build the app.  However, if the developer built it for a newer iOS version (hence why you can't install it) it may not work anyways.

Sad to say you name need a newer iPad.  I ran into the same issue a few years ago.  

Sorry for the late answer @BMamba. As @idowza rightfully answered to you, there's nothing I can do to make a version for an older iOS version available on the App Store. Apple is making the rules and I try to support as old an iOS as they allow me to.

Technically, it could be possible, but it would be quite some effort to adapt to the older frameworks and libraries of iOS 9, which I don't think is worth it especially for a free application.

18 hours ago, Darkdiz said:

Any update on the F-15E?

both these are coming soon (during this September)

f15e-ufc.png

AH64-keyboard.png

Edited by lwalter
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, lwalter said:

Sorry for the late answer @BMamba. As @idowza rightfully answered to you, there's nothing I can do to make a version for an older iOS version available on the App Store. Apple is making the rules and I try to support as old an iOS as they allow me to.

Technically, it could be possible, but it would be quite some effort to adapt to the older frameworks and libraries of iOS 9, which I don't think is worth it especially for a free application.

both these are coming soon (during this September)

f15e-ufc.png

AH64-keyboard.png

@lwalterthank you very much for answering. Your app as you already know is GREAT!! I really want to give a purpose in life for my old iPad, that's why I was asking. My question was and still is how can I (not you as developer) build it from source with xcod, as stated in the iUFCExport page. I want to build it preferably with a few guidelines from you. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Edited by BMamba

1 hour ago, BMamba said:

@lwalterthank you very much for answering. Your app as you already know is GREAT!! I really want to give a purpose in life for my old iPad, that's why I was asking. My question was and still is how can I (not you as developer) build it from source with xcod, as stated in the iUFCExport page. I want to build it preferably with a few guidelines from you. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Google is your best ally is this instance.  I'm sure people have managed to install apps that don't support their specific iOS version, just not this specific app.  I don't think you will get any help/write up here for that process. 

But beware that even if you get it "installed" it may not (and I suspect probably) won't work since a lot of supporting software/libraries are different.

It's a bummer,but a lot of older iPads are mostly e-waste now.  

8 hours ago, BMamba said:

If you know where the source code is, that's already a good start.

Current version of XCode can only support back to iOS 11. You would have to find/install an older version of XCode that still support iOS 9.

With older version of Xcode, you may have trouble opening all the UI / graphics resources. They make a big part of the app (the representation of the UFC and the button interactions).

Then, as explained by @idowza, you may have trouble with classes and APIs that didn't exist in iOS 9 (for the networking part, also for the AppKit framework itself, which changed a lot since iOS 9).

I can support if you have questions on the code itself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pumped for the F-15E UFC. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me to use an old iPad as a multi aircraft UFC (I had been struggling with how to get an inexpensive, multi aircraft UFC setup). Thanks for the work on this, what a great app!

Edited by MelonFarmer
  • Like 1

As you are several getting excited for the F-15E UFC, here's a short preview of its current state: 

All buttons of F-15E UFC and of AH-64 Keyboard Unit (not displayed in the video) are now working. The last step is to add the displays. It shouldn't take too long now. Expect 1 to 2 weeks max before it appears in the Apple AppStore.

The lineup for this starts right behind me 🙂

Talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can detect

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU@4.5Ghz, ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, 64GB Corsair Venegence DDR 3200 RAM, MSI Rtx 3060 12GB Primary GPU, ASUS GTX 1650 4GB Secondary GPU, 40" 1920x1080 Samsung Monitor, 32" 1360x768 Sony Monitor, 32" Dynex 1360x768 Monitor, 1TB Seagate Firecuda M2 PCIe 4 OS SSD, 2TB Western Digital Blue M2 PCIe 3 storage SSD, 8TB Samsung 870QVO storage SSD, Western Digital Blue 1TB storage SATA, 2x Thrustmaster T16000 (LH and RH), Warthog Joy/Throttle/TPRS, 6 x Cougar MFDs (4 with Generic VGA 800x600 displays), Track IR 5 with IR Trackstar V3, Logitech G910 Tactile Keyboard, Logitech G604 Lightspeed Mouse, Logitech F310 Gamepad, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Soul: None (sold long ago to the MGOMU, also known as Princess)

New version 1.8 was just submitted to Apple. Hopefully it won't take long until they accept this version and make it available in their AppStore.

A few notes:

The F-15E UFC display logic is quite convoluted (more complex than F/A 18C). Since I don't know the F-15E well enough to test any possible kind of info that is displayed in its UFC, please expect some bugs. This will be like a beta and I'll be glad to fix display errors I didn't catch.

• Thanks 2

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.8 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

--

The new version is now released on the App Store.

I realized I missed one thing: publishing the updated Lua script. I'll do that in an hour or two. Meanwhile, your display will remain empty. Sorry about that.

• Thanks 1