[Version 1.8 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Hi there. I am having trouble getting the UFC window data and digits appear on the iPad. For example when I press EMCON in the app, the app button visually depresses, I can see the DCS button getting pressed, the DCS UFC changes to the proper indications, but the iPad UFC does not reflect any window data changes. I have copy-pasted the Export.lua and iUFCExport.lua files into "C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts". Is there a "goto" solution for this?

Hi Bailey. Thank you for your feedback! and also thank you for posting your first bug reports on GitHub! 

It's difficult to know exactly why your displays don't get updated on the iPad, because configurations, firewalls, routers can be so different from one local network to another one.

As a first try, I'd suggest you the following. If it works, I'll update the documentation for the DCS script setup.

In your iUFCExport.lua script, could you please replace the IP address (224.0.0.1) in the following line "iUFCExport.HOST = "224.0.0.1"" by your specific iPad IP address? 

You can get you iPad IP address by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > "select your wifi network".  The address you're looking for is in the line "IP address".

Regarding your GitHub issues, I'll answer them right away in GitHub. They're not big issues, but since they're easy to fix, I'll do that for the next version.

• Like 1

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

23 minutes ago, lwalter said:

Hi Bailey. Thank you for your feedback! and also thank you for posting your first bug reports on GitHub! 

It's difficult to know exactly why your displays don't get updated on the iPad, because configurations, firewalls, routers can be so different from one local network to another one.

As a first try, I'd suggest you the following. If it works, I'll update the documentation for the DCS script setup.

In your iUFCExport.lua script, could you please replace the IP address (224.0.0.1) in the following line "iUFCExport.HOST = "224.0.0.1"" by your specific iPad IP address? 

You can get you iPad IP address by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > "select your wifi network".  The address you're looking for is in the line "IP address".

Regarding your GitHub issues, I'll answer them right away in GitHub. They're not big issues, but since they're easy to fix, I'll do that for the next version.

Entering the specific iPad IP address worked first try. Thank you.
I am glad that I can somewhat contribute to this awesome project, even if it's just bug reports. Thanks!

2 hours ago, lwalter said:

Hey, I really love the app, but I got the same issue where the display is blank in the app, but I can control the UFC in game. Editing the lua script didn't work for me, they are still blank.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Entering the specific iPad IP address worked first try. Thank you.
I am glad that I can somewhat contribute to this awesome project, even if it's just bug reports. Thanks!

Thanks for trying and glad it works now for you!

Could you try another IP address for me? Keep the first 3 numbers in your IP address and replace the last one by 255.

If it works it's great, because then you could connect several iPads to your DCS.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

6 minutes ago, lwalter said:

Thanks for trying and glad it works now for you!

Could you try another IP address for me? Keep the first 3 numbers in your IP address and replace the last one by 255.

If it works it's great, because then you could connect several iPads to your DCS.

The app works with the last number changed to 255, but still no display data from ingame. But the buttons and animation to the buttons work

1 minute ago, AlexAzul said:

The app works with the last number changed to 255, but still no display data from ingame. But the buttons and animation to the buttons work

Hi AlexAzul,

II don't know why the application is not getting the displays information in your case. Note that if it doesn't work with your iPad IP, it will not work with the same IP ending with 255.

I'm not sure for now what's wrong. Could it be your firewall blocking outbound UDP 7676? 

54 minutes ago, lwalter said:

Hi AlexAzul,

II don't know why the application is not getting the displays information in your case. Note that if it doesn't work with your iPad IP, it will not work with the same IP ending with 255.

I'm not sure for now what's wrong. Could it be your firewall blocking outbound UDP 7676? 

Tried to open the ports and changed the IP around, still won't give me data for display, I got a iPad mini 3 with 12.5.1 iOS on it.

All the buttons and animations work just great, it just doesn't give me anything for the screens. But I'm satisfied with that hehe.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:11 AM, AlexAzul said:

Hey, so I tried different port and tried to disable my firewall to see if it would make a difference, but nothing.

Could it be that my router is also blocking the port ?

Unfortunately, you can't just change the ports in the lua script. You would have to do the same on the iPad side and as of now, there's no config user interface to do that on the iPad.

However, I can add this option for you to try out in the next release (in about 2 weeks).

16 hours ago, AlexAzul said:

Sounds good !

@AlexAzul the current beta of version 1.1  has the new config for communication ports. Please send me a private message with your email address to get an invite to participate to this beta.

• 2 weeks later...

new version 1.1 was released 

- Graphics and layout improvements

- New feature: JF17 fast select switch

- New feature: it's now possible to configure a different communication port

- Several bug fixes and enhancements (see complete list here: https://github.com/wluc9875/iUFCExport-iPad/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+milestone%3A"Version+1.1")  

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.1 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

Here are some news and updates.

Version 1.2 in currently in beta testing. It will bring a few bug fixes and an enhancement: iUFCExport will keep switch positions in sync with DCS.

It should arrive on the App Store in about 2 weeks.

After that, version 2 will be coming. I have already started gathering all the switches and displays info and extracting all the required images from DCS. 

A10 UFC, M2000 PCN, AJS37 CK37, KA50 PVI800.

Later on, more panels will be added to the existing planes...

I have created and I'm working on this application on my free time for my own usage when flying on DCS.

Whether you're part of the users who are using this application or who would like to, feel free to share your ideas, suggestions for the future versions.

Edited by lwalter
  • Like 1

Version 1.2 was released on the Apple AppStore.

This new version brings:

- Latched switches are now synchronised with DCS
- Improved graphics and animations for JF17 and AV8 UFCs (higher resolution images)
- Network traffic reduced
  • Like 1

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.2 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport
  • 4 weeks later...

Version 1.3 was released on the Apple AppStore.

It adds the A10-C UFC.A10-UFC-background.png

Edited by lwalter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.3 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport
  • 3 weeks later...

I set it up following the guidelines (I believe). But I could not get any live data into the iPad app. So I modified the IP address in the iUFCExport.lua per Option 1 and set the outbound IP address in your app accordingly.

I launched DCS world and opened a mission with the F/A-18C, then launched your app and selected "FA-18C". It displays the static Hornet UFC.

I would have thought that there would be a button to activate communication, but cannot find anything like that. So I don't know where to look.

Some kind of feedback/diagnostic in your app would be great.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

I set it up following the guidelines (I believe). But I could not get any live data into the iPad app. So I modified the IP address in the iUFCExport.lua per Option 1 and set the outbound IP address in your app accordingly.

I launched DCS world and opened a mission with the F/A-18C, then launched your app and selected "FA-18C". It displays the static Hornet UFC.

I would have thought that there would be a button to activate communication, but cannot find anything like that. So I don't know where to look.

Some kind of feedback/diagnostic in your app would be great.

Thanks for your feedback! 

Below I put some hints, but since there could be so many different reasons why you have this network issue, you can also PM me if they don't help.

First, just checking because you didn't mention it, does the iPad application send updates to DCS (for example when you push a button)? If yes, then you don't need to change the iPad config.

Another obvious one, but I'm sure you already did that one: configuring your Windows firewall (both inbound and outbound).

If your iPad doesn't get updates from DCS, you should only change your lua script config (only exception is port change but it's very uncommon). Usually option 1 should be enough, but if not try option 2 (using your iPad IP address).

Note that if you launch the Hornet UFC on the iPad after your mission started, the iPad displays will be updated only after there's a display change in DCS (for example, changing COMM1 channel). To avoid this, you can launch the UFC on the iPad before starting the mission.

Regarding a button to activate communication, there's none because there's no dedicated connection opened between your PC and the iPad. The network connectivity I'm using allows auto-discovery of DCS and several iPads on your local network using broadcast mechanism. It works out of the box for most, but there are few cases where you unfortunately have to do some manual config (this is due to some local network specific restrictions or other reasons that I can't control), but after config, it will work for you too.

This is not yet my priority, but I could work on some way to help or automate the configuration of the addresses and ports in the app in case there's a problem with the default config, especially if there are more cases like yours.

A nice function would be to prevent the Ipad to go in standby. Can you do that for the next version?

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

I found it's actually working, it just doesn't give any sign of life unless something comes up in the display. I wonder if it would also work with the default IP address.

In order to take part in Beta testing I would like to see a test plan based on functions implemented. It seems that knobs are not implemented (yet?) as I could not figure out to turn them.

Other remarks:

1. Download of "iUFCExport.lua": I could not find any button on GitHub for downloading that file. So I had to open it, copy and paste the lines into Notepad++ and do a Save As.

Would be more robust to have a straightforward download button.

2. The UFC for the A-10C uses the HUD for displaying the interactions. Could you include the HUD in your app?

3. It seems to me that your technology could be used to create MFCD's with their associated buttons, or the equivalent of a button box with pushbuttons, 2/3-position switches and sliders. If that could work with my old unemployed iPad that would be even better.

I'm really impressed with your work and willing to help with the Beta testing for the hog or the hornet

Edit: I went back to the default IP address. The iPad app does repeat the display of the Hornet UFC, but I cannot enter anything.  So the modified IP address per option 1 (last number = 255) is necessary. I did not change the port number.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

6 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

I found it's actually working, it just doesn't give any sign of life unless something comes up in the display. I wonder if it would also work with the default IP address.

In order to take part in Beta testing I would like to see a test plan based on functions implemented. It seems that knobs are not implemented (yet?) as I could not figure out to turn them.

Other remarks:

1. Download of "iUFCExport.lua": I could not find any button on GitHub for downloading that file. So I had to open it, copy and paste the lines into Notepad++ and do a Save As.

Would be more robust to have a straightforward download button.

2. The UFC for the A-10C uses the HUD for displaying the interactions. Could you include the HUD in your app?

3. It seems to me that your technology could be used to create MFCD's with their associated buttons, or the equivalent of a button box with pushbuttons, 2/3-position switches and sliders. If that could work with my old unemployed iPad that would be even better.

I'm really impressed with your work and willing to help with the Beta testing for the hog or the hornet

Edit: I went back to the default IP address. The iPad app does repeat the display of the Hornet UFC, but I cannot enter anything.  So the modified IP address per option 1 (last number = 255) is necessary. I did not change the port number.

Glad to see that it's working now for you!

If you'd like to beta test, just PM me and I'll give you the instructions. There is no formal test plan as I'm doing this application only for my leisure. However, at each new build release in the beta, I give a list of features to test, or bugs to check if they're fixed, etc... There's also a very high-level development plan here: https://github.com/users/wluc9875/projects/1. Finally, no need to be a beta tester for this, anybody can suggest new features, enhancements or file bugs here: https://github.com/wluc9875/iUFCExport-iPad/issues

Regarding 1), indeed. You can now download them directly from the releases. I did it for the latest 1.3 release here: https://github.com/wluc9875/iUFCExport-LuaScript/releases/tag/v1.3

Regarding 2), I'll add it to my todo list, but I doubt it is going to be straightforward to replicate the A10C HUD on the iPad.

Regarding 3), any panel with buttons and indicators could be reproduced (*). It's just a matter of time (taking screenshots, image editing, finding the right device numbers, indicator numbers, command numbers, etc....). Reproducing displays like what's inside the MFCDs require another technology, more like video streaming or making the iPad appear as an external screen. I know some other did it, but I haven't investigated that part yet. 

(*) sometimes, like for the Gazelle, the data returned by DCS is just unusable...

Thank you!

I have a small ask please: is it possible to compile the application to work for older iPads which cannot run iOS 12? I am unable to install due to having an iPad 2 on iOS 10. These seem to not be able to run iOS 12 or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

15 hours ago, overalien said:

I have a small ask please: is it possible to compile the application to work for older iPads which cannot run iOS 12? I am unable to install due to having an iPad 2 on iOS 10. These seem to not be able to run iOS 12 or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but the network libraries I'm using were not made available by Apple prior to iOS 12.

Technically, I could make it work for older iOS versions, but it would require some significant development effort, which I can't justify at the moment.

• lwalter changed the title to [Version 1.4 released] iPad application for displaying and interacting with UFCs: iUFCExport

Version 1.4 was released on the Apple AppStore.

It adds AJS37 navigation panels (CK37 + waypoints).

Simulator Screen Shot - iPad Pro (9.7-inch) - 2021-05-02 at 16.21.15.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.5 was released on the Apple AppStore.

It adds Ka 50 PVI 800.

KA50-PVI.png

...Version 1.6 will be about M200C PCN...

• Like 1