Binding for jammer?

2 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

REC = Receive, the jammer only receives incoming signals.

XMIT = Transmit, the jammer will transmit when incoming signals indicate the aircraft is being locked.

Thank's man, but, what is the point of only "receiving" ? What does it mean and do ?

8 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Exactly as the name implies. The jammer will receive signals and alert the pilot of them, but otherwise won't perform any actual jamming.

Ah okay, receiving other jammers signals, now I understand better. Thank's man.

Isn't REC supposed to also provide threat audio though?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Basically jammers needs first to analyze the type of signals of possible threats in order to apply the correct jamming technique and customized to the most dangerous signal.

In Receive mode the jammer is in standby but working so that in the moment it goes to XMIT, jamming on the approapiate detected threats begin inmediately.

• Like 1

Exactly as the name implies. The jammer will receive signals and alert the pilot of them, but otherwise won't perform any actual jamming.
The jammer in REC mode will receive any signals from others jammers, right? Otherwise what is then the difference between RWR and REC modus? When there is another flight with an active jammer in REC mode the jammer of the hornet alerts the pilot of an active jammer from another flight, right?

No, the onboard jammer has nothing to do with jammers from other aircraft. Jammers from other aircraft only affect the radar. The jammer in REC mode is not the same thing as an RWR. An RWR has multiple sensors across the surface of the aircraft that process incoming signals and attempt to resolve azimuth, signal type (e.g. airborne radar, SAM radar, etc.) and provide visual cues to the pilot about the information it's determining (the azimuth indicator, EW page, HUD tadpoles).

The point of this type of jammer is to protect the aircraft from incoming signals that attempt to lock it (Self-Protect Jammer, SPJ). In REC mode, the jammer is listening to incoming signals, but doesn't emit anything. In XMIT mode, the jammer is still listening to incoming signals, but if one of those signals indicates it's locking the aircraft, the jammer will activate and attempt to jam that specific signal in order to protect the aircraft. It does not perform the same type of signal processing as an RWR.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

No, the onboard jammer has nothing to do with jammers from other aircraft. Jammers from other aircraft only affect the radar. The jammer in REC mode is not the same thing as an RWR. An RWR has multiple sensors across the surface of the aircraft that process incoming signals and attempt to resolve azimuth, signal type (e.g. airborne radar, SAM radar, etc.) and provide visual cues to the pilot about the information it's determining (the azimuth indicator, EW page, HUD tadpoles).

The point of this type of jammer is to protect the aircraft from incoming signals that attempt to lock it (Self-Protect Jammer, SPJ). In REC mode, the jammer is listening to incoming signals, but doesn't emit anything. In XMIT mode, the jammer is still listening to incoming signals, but if one of those signals indicates it's locking the aircraft, the jammer will activate and attempt to jam that specific signal in order to protect the aircraft. It does not perform the same type of signal processing as an RWR.

Thanks a lot for your explanation. However I still don't understand what type of signals the jammer in REC mode receives. The RWR receives any kind of radar signals (i. e. Radar, SAM, radar guided missiles) How the jammer indicates the incomming signals to the pilot? By audio alert?

The jammer receives the same kind of signals, but it doesn't process them the same way. The RWR provides audio cues, the jammer does not. Above the left DDI next to the MASTER CAUTION are a series of lights that will illuminate based on the status of the ASPJ.

In REC mode, the 'REC' light will illuminate when the aircraft is being locked.

In XMIT mode, the 'REC' and 'XMIT' lights will both illuminate when the aircraft is being locked.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 2 weeks later...

Is it functional now?

ALQ
-165 Airborne Self Protection Jammer (ASPJ) is the onboard Electronic Countermeasure (ECM)
system
. The ALQ
-165 detects and deceives threat pulse fire control and guidance RADARs and has four
operating modes
: standby, receive, transmit, and built in test
. This ECM system detects, processes, and
transmits
a simulated target echo for deception when
a RADAR signal is received
. The simulated echoes are
recognized by the enemy RADAR as true target returns
. Tracking RADAR then tracks
a false target and
breaks lock from the true target
. Threat RADAR indications are indicated as both indicators lights and the
RADAR Warning Receiver.
Note
: the ASPJ is not yet implemented in Early Access
. This section will be updated once it is available

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

On 1/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, Weasel said:

Thanks a lot for your explanation. However I still don't understand what type of signals the jammer in REC mode receives. The RWR receives any kind of radar signals (i. e. Radar, SAM, radar guided missiles) How the jammer indicates the incomming signals to the pilot? By audio alert?

I believe what REC does is record the incoming frequencies and types of signals so that when XMIT is selected, there is less or no delay in emitting a deceptive jamming signal tailored to that incoming frequency. It also likely records those signals for later analysis back home. In DCS, I suspect REC does nothing.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

On 2/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, kengou said:

I believe what REC does is record the incoming frequencies and types of signals so that when XMIT is selected, there is less or no delay in emitting a deceptive jamming signal tailored to that incoming frequency. It also likely records those signals for later analysis back home. In DCS, I suspect REC does nothing.

REC = receive (gives you the indication above left DDI as to what type of tracking emitter is active)

XMIT = transmit (this is the only way it will "jam")

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria