Why am I stuck in metric values?

Hi all.  Very much a newbie question I'm afraid.  Sorry.  

I seem to be stuck in metric values.  The Airdrome Data on my F-10 map is in metric, not imperial, and the tower gives me data in metric as well (wind direction in meters per second etc.)

I have selected Imperial values in the settings menu and on the mission editor and yet nothing changes.

Is this normal?  If not has anyone seen this before?  Am I missing a checkbox or is there a file that needs to be edited somewhere?

Any suggestions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by AtomicMysteryWeasel
Earlier post did not include text.

I don't think so man.  I think that's just where the cursor was resting.  If you look at the metric values for the airfield in the first screenshot those should be listed in feet according to what I have selected.  It's not and I know other folks have imperial values for Airdrome data listed because I've seen screenshots where they do.  

That also doesn't explain why suddenly the tower is feeding me data in metrics and not in knots.

Attached is a sample of someone else's F10 values and they are in Imperial figures.

This is very frustrating.

Inked83856042_DCS2_5_1ImperialAirdromeDataScreen_180506_000013.thumb.jpg.0540d0fcaf681fca940809a8baa73aae_LI.jpg

Clarity

Whoa... almost 12 km long runway? Is that the one where they shot the infamous scene in one of the last "Fast and Furious" movies? 😄

Googling for Al-Minhad says it should be 3,95 km. So it's just the units displayed are wrong when switching to imperial, but the values seem correct. Same problem on Nevada map (reported long ago), wouldn't be surprised if on some of the others. Just go by the numbers.

As for the ATC, don't bother. It's been not quite complete or broken for a long time. The major overhaul is in the works, though.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Art I appreciate what you're saying, but "it's been broken for a long time" is not a solution.  It still doesn't explain why some people see feet, but I only see meters, even with all the correct boxes checked.  There HAS to be a fix for this even if it's a file that need editing.  

I mean it USED to give me feet instead of meters.  The tower USED to give me windspeed in knots.  There has to be a reason why that changed and a way to undo that change.

Was it previously correct on Syria map for you, though? That's what I'm saying. Last time I checked on my PC, It worked OK on Caucasus, but was borked on Nevada at least (I don't own Syria to compare). Some of these bugs are map-dependent.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I tried a repair, I tried a cleanup and then a repair, and then I tried renaming the DCS folder under saved games to DCS.old and letting the program recreate itself.  I changed nothing for the new clean setup.  I didn't even change the video settings and in windowed mode went straight to a ED training session for the F-16.

All the Airdrome data is STILL in metric.

Might be a new bug in latest version then (or rather - extension of the old bug). Just checked on my PC and indeed, switching to imperial calculates and displays correct numerical values but leaves old units in F10 view on all my maps. More of a cosmetic annoyance than a real issue, but if it also affects ATC (haven't tested that one), I can see why it could be a problem.

• ED Team

I am not able to reproduce this issue,

the gameplay setting for imperial and metric works for me. 

I would suggest deleting or renaming the options.lua and restarting dcs, then redo options. 

or rename your dcs folder in saved games, keep it as a backup, restart dcs and test

see if it helps.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thank you for the suggestion, Big.  

I have actually done all that.  I even went further and created a new admin account on my machine, logged in as the "New" me, logged into DCS, checked the settings, started up a ED created mission (training mission 1 for the Viper) - everything is STILL in metric.  No matter what I do Airdrome and tower data are still in metric.  All the weather and location data when a match or a session starts is in metric.  

This is driving me nuts.  I finally created a ticket with ED and they are looking at it but so far they have no clue.  This makes no sense at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

If you are seeing this issue please go to C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS\Config

if you have a file called pluginsEnabled.lua move it out of the folder. 

restart DCS and test your metric imperial setting. 

let me know if it helps

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

If you are seeing this issue please go to C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS\Config

if you have a file called pluginsEnabled.lua move it out of the folder. 

restart DCS and test your metric imperial setting. 

let me know if it helps

I hasn't helped for me - tested on Batumi, with and without restarting DCS between altering the settings. The elevation and length values change allright, but units are stuck at meters.

• ED Team

Hi all

We think we have found the issue or part of it. It seems to happen when combined arms is not installed, the potential fix will be in the next patch. 

thank you

• Like 2

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to log on and respond to anyone.  I do not have pluginsEnabled.lua in my Config folder and yet this issue persists.  I've been working with the guys from ED's helpdesk (who are fantastic by the way) and just like Bignewy says they think they've found the issue.  It is a genuine bug and they hope to fix it in an up coming patch.  Woo hoo!

On 2/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, Tracer1 said:

Hey Atomic if you get a solution could you post it?  I gave up trying to fix this.

Sorry I didn't respond man.  Life gets in the way of flying sometimes. ;)  It is a real bug and ED says they're going fix it in a upcoming patch.  

• Like 1

Finally!

• Like 1

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

4 hours ago, AtomicMysteryWeasel said:

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to log on and respond to anyone.  I do not have pluginsEnabled.lua in my Config folder and yet this issue persists.  I've been working with the guys from ED's helpdesk (who are fantastic by the way) and just like Bignewy says they think they've found the issue.  It is a genuine bug and they hope to fix it in an up coming patch.  Woo hoo!

Sorry I didn't respond man.  Life gets in the way of flying sometimes. ;)  It is a real bug and ED says they're going fix it in a upcoming patch.  

No worries but great news. Annoying as hell.  But thanks for the update appreciate it.  Hopefully it comes with the clouds patch : ) . GG