The FC3 VR Paradox

Lace

The FC3 aircraft are low fidelity representations of aircraft we are no likely to see as high fidelity full modules.  As such they rely on many keyboard shortcuts rather than clickable cockpits.  I understand the logic behind this, as many of the simplifications do not have a dedicated cockpit control so cannot be clickable.  However this means that ironically, the FC3 aircraft end up with a large number of key binds.  In VR with a full clickable cockpit there is no need to remember any keybinds (in fact I don't touch the keyboard at all in VR), everything is either HOTAS, or 'point and click'.  The FC3 aircraft present an extra difficulty in VR since I either need to double my HOTAS binds (and remember them), or frequently lift the headset to use the keyboard.

My suggestion is this:  For VR allow a clickable virtual kneeboard.  If I look down at the seat pan I will see a kneeboard with all of the required FC3 keybinds, perhaps with tabs for Systems/Weapons/Views.  This solution would mean no more lists of arbitrary keybinds to remember, no more immersion destroying headset removal. 

I would love to be able to spend more time enjoying the FC3 aircraft (particularly the A-10A and Su-25), but in VR they are 'harder' to interact with than their high fidelity counterparts.

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Sounds like a good idea to me. It would actually also be useful for full clickable cockpits, being able to quickly pull up a virtual keyboard to click those odd keys that you don't have bound to your HOTAS, instead of having to lift your headset or fumble around for the keyboard.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

The FC3 aircraft are low fidelity representations of aircraft we are no likely to see as high fidelity full modules.  As such they rely on many keyboard shortcuts rather than clickable cockpits.  I understand the logic behind this, as many of the simplifications do not have a dedicated cockpit control so cannot be clickable.  However this means that ironically, the FC3 aircraft end up with a large number of key binds.  In VR with a full clickable cockpit there is no need to remember any keybinds (in fact I don't touch the keyboard at all in VR), everything is either HOTAS, or 'point and click'.  The FC3 aircraft present an extra difficulty in VR since I either need to double my HOTAS binds (and remember them), or frequently lift the headset to use the keyboard.

My suggestion is this:  For VR allow a clickable virtual kneeboard.  If I look down at the seat pan I will see a kneeboard with all of the required FC3 keybinds, perhaps with tabs for Systems/Weapons/Views.  This solution would mean no more lists of arbitrary keybinds to remember, no more immersion destroying headset removal. 

I would love to be able to spend more time enjoying the FC3 aircraft (particularly the A-10A and Su-25), but in VR they are 'harder' to interact with than their high fidelity counterparts.
Have you given VoiceAttack a shot?
It's free for the first 20 commands or so. And while your at it. Give VAICOM a go as well. It's also free to try for some of it.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Instead of wasting time on some virtual immersion killer they could simply add clickable areas. Some FC3 cockpits are fully modeled with switches/buttons animations ready to use.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Well it's less of an immersion killer than lifting your headset. And if one clickable kneeboard (sorry I originally read keyboard) could be designed that can be used on all aircraft, much like the current kneeboard is, then surely that's easier and less work than re-engineering all the different FC3 cockpits and it has the added bonus (as I've already said) of also being useful on aircraft that already have clickable cockpits. After all, real aircraft don't have F2, F3, F4, F10 or Esc etc. buttons so maybe it would be useful on all aircraft for accessing functions like those. It also seems to me to be less unrealistic than talking to your aircraft like it's KITT or something. I imagine some people are either uncomfortable with, don't like to, or are simply unable to use voice commands, so what's wrong, if it's feasible, with offering another alternative and giving people more choice and options? So it's not something I would call a waste of time immersion killer but something that's seriously worth considering and if the idea's to be dismissed it should be dismissed with sound reasoning.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, draconus said:

Instead of wasting time on some virtual immersion killer they could simply add clickable areas. Some FC3 cockpits are fully modeled with switches/buttons animations ready to use.

Which would also work.  Simple stuff like landing gear, battery, master arm etc.  Obviously fully-clickable is the ideal solution (but then so would a full fidelity A-10A, Su-25, MiG-29, Su-27 and Su-33! 😉 )

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

10 hours ago, draconus said:

Exactly. We even have in the settings "Activate mouse clickable cockpit" kind function, that does nothing.

I believe that ED has had at some point in the past a wish to make them clickable by what they can, like the landing gear lever and a weapons targeting system panel etc.

But they have just left it as is because Modern Combat etc.

I would be happy just to be able click even in full fidelity cockpits the switch/button area than just the switch or button. So many times I have been hunting that small switch regardless there is a big circular area from where that switch is coming from. That similar thing in the FC3 modules would be huge, like click once the whole radio panel and you get the radio menu to top of the screen. Or click the landing gear panel and you get it working.

Just think about what someone has done in Su-25T cockpit by developing a Su-24M mod (not released).

A fully clickable cockpit... How cool is that?

• Like 3

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.