Sim rig vs. Cat

Simo

So, my better half seems hell-bent on getting some kind of furry creature (most likely of the feline persuasion) as apparently my company just isn't enough for her 🙄

I'm generally indifferent to cats so don't really mind, but having never owned a pet before I'm wondering if steps may need taking to prevent precious HOTAS/headset/PC/cables being used as chew toys/claw sharpeners/litter etc....

Unfortunately putting it behind closed doors isn't really an option, as it currently occupies an alcove on the landing (the cat will probably find its way into all the rooms eventually anyway). Anyone have any experience/advice to offer?

One of my cats was a cable biter when younger, so there was a real danger that he would chew through thin wires, such as keyboard or mouse wires, and often times I would find bite marks on thicker cables he couldn't bite through. Besides yelling at him when being caught in the act to get him to stop, there wasn't much I could do. Luckily, he grew out of that behavior as he got older and hasn't done that in years.

For me, though, I still keep the door to my "gaming room" closed at all times, unless I am in there flying DCS just to avoid any kind of accident that that might occur, including the regurgitated food and thrown up hairballs (the real joys of living with cats). :)

• Thanks 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

1 hour ago, rrohde said:

including the regurgitated food and thrown up hairballs (the real joys of living with cats). 🙂

Can hardly wait 🙂 Thanks for the tips, guess I'll get working on my stern, cat scaring voice then

2 hours ago, Simo said:

I'm generally indifferent to cats so don't really mind, but having never owned a pet before I'm wondering if steps may need taking to prevent precious HOTAS/headset/PC/cables being used as chew toys/claw sharpeners/litter etc....

You can simply take something like a car windshield washer fluid and just use rag to wipe all cables with it. For a moment the odor will stay in the room but vanish fairly quickly, but it will leave a very bad taste to the cables surfaces, if someone now want to go licking them...

You should find something similar from the pet stores, but that is simple solution, and it works great with the crawling babies too.

Anyways, all will learn very quickly that they do not want to put anything like that to their mouth.

If in question, you can try it by yourself first 😉

As well as a tip, because those fluids has fairly sturdy amount of alcohol, they can be used for sanitize different surfaces as well, but they do not smell so good and if it gets to your mouth, it will taste very bad. It is a safety chemical for those as otherwise people would drink those for ethanol some does have (those are now more rare).

Just remember, do not use a mint odor etc, as cats can go little wild with it...

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

My cat does the same thing if she can. So I had to cover every single cable in my house from her, including my driving/flying rig. I use rubber mats for cables on the side of the rig near the floor, made a few covers for the equipment itself, and setup other stuff so she can't even reach the cables (behind cabinets and such). It was a puzzle because I didn't know how inventive and persuasive she would get, but I managed to cover/shield everything.

And on the plus side, my rig looks really clean without this jungle of cables visible. 🙂

One of our three cats usually came jumping on my lap and sits on my hand at the stick while I am about to land. Movement is more heavy as I have to move it against the weight of the cat, but the "Blue Angels" also fly with stronger stick tension. It is just a little bit surprising when the cat appears in the "cockpit" as I fly VR. 😄

None of our cats ever tried to bite a power cable. Only the mouse cable is of interest as it moves when I move the mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got two cats on May-2020, when I already had a sim pit. Cable management is gold, but you cannot trust only on this solution. Cats are VERY smart animals and can learn very quickly. Avoid yelling because it will activate some reflex responses of stress on the cat and it degrades the learning capacities. Just remove the "furry chewing machine" as many times as needed, patiently. Try to promptly reinforce alternative behaviors that obstruct these inappropriate, like throwing a paper ball or playing for some seconds with a cat's toy. It will spoil some of the gaming in the beginning, but you must act consistently and give some attention. The goal is to teach that the PC and peripherals are your toys only, not his/her.

Today my cats only chew the cables when there isn't any other form of distraction: they also learned that I stop anything I am doing to give them attention (even if is just to hold them on my arms for some time... They enjoy this). This happens often when they are deprived of some care or playing time with me. So, for good reason, I prevent destruction of my house by playing frequently with them. Other than that, they have a good time around by themselves and even take a nap on top of my PC case. This is pure operant conditioning. This works. Every. Single. Time. Everything is smooth and peaceful right now. Had several dogfights with a cat sleeping on my nap. 😄

DCS modules: FC3 | F-5E Tiger II | Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C Hornet | Christen Eagle II | Sceneries and stuffs

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz | 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 | Galax GeForce GTX 1660 Ti | SSD M.2 500GB + SSD 240GB | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS | DIY reasonably confortable gaming rig on wheels