New Tutorial:: F-15C Radar Intro and LRS

Just a quick note to let folks know that I have uploaded a new tutorial to my site: F-15C: Radar Introduction and Long Range Search (LRS). This is an introduction to the F-15C's radar, the AN/APG-63. The goal of this training flight is to introduce you to the Vertical Situation Display (radar scope) and, using the Long Range Search (LRS) mode, to discuss the importance of understanding your scan volume: where it's pointing, and what it's doing. You will also learn to understand and interpret what you might see while in LRS mode. Targeting modes are not discussed. Nor will we be shooting anything down (boring, I know). All that will come in future tutorials. OTOH, I have finally found my way into the F-15's pit.

You'll find the tutorial on the A2A page of my site. Enjoy.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 4

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Great vid!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

You make a great job man.... wish you would provide a "if im not sure if Friend or Foe i dont shoot" part :megalol:

I sort of make note of that. If flying online, check with AWACs before firing. That will be emphasized with far greater intensity once I get into the radar targeting modes.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well I've been trying to pump this info into my squad mates who dont like the 15 radar...

Maybe now those that didn't before, will understand now - Great tutorial.

Just one note, you may want to add that GS also is affected by pitch ;)

(even though those listening closely should understand that directly since you

do say that it is the speed traveling across the ground)

I dont like it when they didnt include the F-15 radar's angular elevation indicator.

The f16 has one so there is no reason the 15 shouldnt, in fact it is in there in Lo,

it is just not showing what it should right now ;) (it jumps the same angles regardless of elevation)

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Introduce the AWACS, but avoid relying on it. Many times AWACS cannot see the target you locked on to, or is not even available in the mission - especially online.

I sort of make note of that. If flying online, check with AWACs before firing. That will be emphasized with far greater intensity once I get into the radar targeting modes.

Rich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Introduce the AWACS' date=' but avoid relying on it. [/quote']

I don't think anyone could rely on it, even if they wanted to! :P It does give you a nice idea of the range of bandits that are jamming though.

Ironhand, your tutorials are probably the best I've seen on any PC game or sim, really. Looking forward to watching this one since I've recently gotten tired of the Su-27.

Edited by RedTiger

Ironhand do you also make professional tutorials like this?

I mean do you work for any company making similar things to these videos?

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Introduce the AWACS, but avoid relying on it. Many times AWACS cannot see the target you locked on to, or is not even available in the mission - especially online.

Yes, I know. But this tutorial was neither the time nor place for the emphasis. To a degree, I'm simply introducing some topics/ideas that I will circle back to several times and from several angles.

Ironhand do you also make professional tutorials like this?

I mean do you work for any company making similar things to these videos?

No. This is simply a hobby. But lately I've been wondering how to turn it into a business. :)

Rich

_____

No. This is simply a hobby. But lately I've been wondering how to turn it into a business. :)

Rich

Go for it! There's nothing better than turning a talent you have into way to make some cash! :D Very rewarding IMO. :)

Downloaded now...I'm gonna go watch!

Ironhand i also have been enjoying and learning from you tutorials for years now and they are fantastic, a real gift to all of us. I was wondering if there is plans for more in depth Eagle tutorials in the near future similiar to your SU 27 and A-10 ones? this would be a great addition to all of them and a real treat for Eagle drivers, thanks.

I watched it just a bit ago.

I never fully realized some of the stuff you showed about the search volume for the radar vs. altitude with the Eagle. Pulling the target designator closer in before moving the scan pattern around to search for a closer contact makes perfect sense. I never thought of it that way. That was truly helpful!

Edited by RedTiger

...Just one note, you may want to add that GS also is affected by pitch ;)

(even though those listening closely should understand that directly since you

do say that it is the speed traveling across the ground)

That one falls under the heading of "learn something new everyday". I suppose I would have realized that, if I had actually stopped and thought about it--or if I had spent enough time in the F-15's pit to notice it. Right now, I'm feeling my way through its pit a step at a time. Pretty cool, though, to enter a vertical dive and see your IAS/TAS go through the roof while your GS drops to zero.

I don't like it when they didn't include the F-15 radar's angular elevation indicator.

The f16 has one so there is no reason the 15 shouldn't, in fact it is in there in Lo,

it is just not showing what it should right now ;) (it jumps the same angles regardless of elevation)

Do you mean the elevation scale on the left? Or is there something else I'm not seeing? In some respects it doesn't matter that there isn't one, though the radar's elevation position can be a bit nebulous when the TDC is positioned at ranges less than 25 nm.

...I was wondering if there is plans for more in depth Eagle tutorials in the near future similar to your SU 27 and A-10 ones?...

That's the current plan as time allows. I've been ignoring the F-15 for quite awhile now. (And I still think it's ugly.) But I can't ignore it any longer. It's absence is conspicuous on my site. And I've been getting far too many emails asking for F-15 tutorials. So the current one is the first to be followed by tutorials dealing with the F-15 as the stellar weapons platform that it is--AIM-120, AIM-7, and AIM-9 employment in their various aspects, sophisticated radar suite, high visibility cockpit, etc. I'm hoping I can get away without doing a tutorial on guns--I suck at gunzo. :)

At this point I'm still debating the organization of the remainder: STT vs TWS? BVR vs WVR? Take each weapon separately? Or some other format? I want to "teach" the pieces but make sure that, in the process, people understand how each pieces fits into the whole--the concept of the F-15 as a superior A2A weapons platform where its radar, the missiles, and the pilot shape the outcome of the fight. Those "pieces" need sufficient depth but, at the same time, should be short enough not to overload the viewer. Hence the organizational dilemma.

But I'll figure it out as I go. And I'd better figure it out fast because I want to get started on #2 this weekend--time allowing. I often find that I have to reorganize the work in progress to keep the information clear. What works on paper doesn't always translate as well to video.

...I never thought of it that way...

That's why I enjoy making these things.

BTW, consider this my vote for continuing the F-15 tutorials.

See above. :)

Rich

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

_____