Stored alignment auto start

bonfor

1 hour ago, Spartan111sqn said:

hopefuly ED looks like moving for the simmers 

? Explain please ?

Just don't understand why so many peeps have issues over a persons desire for an alternative auto start that fits their needs? If it makes things more accessible and spreads the user base then why not - as a previous person mentioned you don't have to use it?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:06 AM, Exorcet said:

There is a slight misunderstanding from my poor quote choice. I was saying I think autostart is useful in general, not specifically in the realm of training (it has some use here, but not as a primary tool) or debugging (probably not as much here).

What I was pointing out specifically was that something happens that requires your attention outside of DCS when a mission is starting (door bell, smoke alarm, making lunch etc). You could pause, or you could just auto start and come back to a started jet depending on what you're doing. When it comes to a real mission I'm more likely to pause, but if I'm testing a mission I'm building I might autostart just to save time. Actually even if nothing is distracting me I might just autostart and check to make sure the AI is behaving correctly or something. A good number of my missions use timers and they would all need to be adjusted if I changed the mission to a hot start, so even if my tests I tend to use a cold plane.

Fair enough, we're basically in agreement.

The thing is autostart is actually the most accessible of them all. Past experience for me is that I usually go through the start up training mission when I get a new module, then move to an empty mission to practice. In that case autostart is right there as a helper if I need it.

The most accessible, sure - it's available in every mission.

Though it doesn't really give you the time to locate and do stuff yourself like a dedicated training mission would. Same for the assisted start for Jester (though only available on the Tomcat).

While having a briefing with the steps for start up would be nice, it would require you (or someone else) to create such a thing. That said I'd love it if kneeboards would include start up checklists by default for each module.

Yes, and I think that's deserving a thread in the wishlist section if it hasn't been done already.

AS isn't integral here, it just provides convenient baseline. Most starts are going to take less time than autostart since manual start is faster, and people who can't manual start will probably autostart. Setting aside a set time, like 15 minutes to start and taxi is also fine, though for public missions I just tend to assume people will want to avoid downtime, so I like using AS as a guide for setting up mission timing in some cases.

Fair enough, I'm pretty much exclusively SP, so here our mileages are differing.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:06 AM, Northstar98 said:

Fair enough, I'm pretty much exclusively SP, so here our mileages are differing.

You should try MP PVP BVR and BFM. Loads of fun. AI are boring to fight against. After a while they become way too predictable. 

• Like 2

I believe the normal alignment was chosen for the auto start sequence simply because it will always work where a stored alignment would only work if an alignment was stored already.

One could edit the macro_sequences.lua to change the actions of the sequence to move the switch to the other position. Then comment out the next 7 lines to make sure it doesn't do a BATH.

push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.INS,                    action = ins_commands.ModeKnob,                    value = 0.1}) --Stored, was 0.2 ground

--push_start_command(5.0,        {message = _("- INS - CONFIRM COORDINATES"),                                            message_timeout = dt_mto})
--push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.ENTR,                        value = 1.0})
--push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.ENTR,                        value = 0.0})
--push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.DCS_DOWN,                    value = -1.0})
--push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.DCS_DOWN,                    value = 0.0})
--push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.ENTR,                        value = 1.0})
-push_start_command(dt,        {device = devices.UFC,                    action = ufc_commands.ENTR,                        value = 0.0})

Later there is a conditional event that should work to see if INS is ready. There is a commented out advance to align fly which you could put back. It's alright (even preferable) to taxi around in align ground. I don't know about stored align though.

6 hours ago, SCPanda said:

You should try MP PVP BVR and BFM. Loads of fun. AI are boring to fight against. After a while they become way too predictable. 

I agree about the AI, but personally I'm not really interested in MP atm, especially given my current setup.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.