water has no texture low/mid altitude

memoric

Hello

So as the title says, while flying today on a multiplayer server, i noticed that the water just is a unicolor surface with no texture. Just bloom very high.

Someone else noticed?

Btw. I was flying about 6000 feet above the sea. And I am using VR.

regards

Edited by memoric

I’m glad to finally see this post! I thought it was just me.

The water is now devoid of any depth or texture, especially at altitude. In 2.5 at least we had subtle color gradients and distant “rollers.” Regardless of wind speed, the water texture can now only be seen within a very small radius from the sun’s reflection. Once outside of that, the sea is extremely flat and lifeless. 

Case in point, there seems to be no discernible difference anymore between the medium and high water quality settings. In 2.5 there was a significant difference between the two. I hope this is acknowledged by the devs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigalsunit said:

I’m glad to finally see this post! I thought it was just me.

The water is now devoid of any depth or texture, especially at altitude. In 2.5 at least we had subtle color gradients and distant “rollers.” Regardless of wind speed, the water texture can now only be seen within a very small radius from the sun’s reflection. Once outside of that, the sea is extremely flat and lifeless. 

Case in point, there seems to be no discernible difference anymore between the medium and high water quality settings. In 2.5 there was a significant difference between the two. I hope this is acknowledged by the devs.

Now i use Medium where i used always on High.... 

And same issue, no depth or texture at medium or high altitude.

VR pilot here.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

6 hours ago, memoric said:

I doubt that this is "more realistic". Realisticly it looks like on this picture, and not just a unicolor surface with no texture.

f14 water.jpg

Actually, NOW it looks quite close to that picture:

Screen_210414_184052.jpg

Believe me, it looks much better than before. Just increase surface wind to have some more waves, it is miles ahead to what we had before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Take a look at my MODS here

5 hours ago, Nightfall Zero said:

I am a bad pilot I know, but I ended up crashing into the sea because I did not realise I was that low, lol. Earlier you could clearly see ripples / reflections, now not really.

I'm not a pilot either, but from what I heard this is even an effect in reality. It is more difficult to estimate your height above water in certain lightning conditions. 

• Like 1

Water quality Low, Medium, and High respectively. They are identical. Regardless of what one individual finds realistic or not, it would appear that we have lost the ability to control our water effects within the options menu. Is this by design or is it an error?

F2098FD3-38B3-45A0-BEB5-702A1A51B9AD.jpeg

DE6D3A6E-F5B3-44E6-AFC3-A31971833076.jpeg

B888EFD3-1060-40D7-87DF-0899944A3AE7.jpeg

First picture, OpenBeta 2.5, water quality High. Note the white caps and “rolling sea” effect.

Second screenshot, OpenBeta 2.7, water quality High. No textures whatsoever. Just flat blue. 

Edit: Wind speed is 10kts in both screenshots.

4E967CF3-6E50-4C56-93C8-259017F7EE19.jpeg

B7835AB2-0932-49FB-9859-207BB767FFAC.jpeg

Edited by bigalsunit
  • Like 3

Photos aren't the right way to tell if this is "right" or not.  The water in a photo will depend more on the aperture and focal length.  IF there's enough bokeh, then the photos posted are going to lack detail.  Would have to get feedback from someone who's actually been in an F-18 over the ocean to know for sure.

10 hours ago, bigalsunit said:

First picture, OpenBeta 2.5, water quality High. Note the white caps and “rolling sea” effect.

Second screenshot, OpenBeta 2.7, water quality High. No textures whatsoever. Just flat blue. 

The point is, the 2.5.6 pic shows exactly what was very wrong about sea surface in all versions of 2.5.xx - the waves didn't scale properly with distance at all. Their size at the distant shore was almost the same as the ones below player's aircraft, not to mention that they looked pretty much the same whether you flew 500 ft or 5000 ft or 15 000 ft over the surface.

Now in 2.7 they scale properly at last, resembling something closer to reality.

I do agree with you about lack of whitecaps, though. 

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Water looks much better to me, much more realistic. At 30 miles away I used to be able to see rollers and waves. That is completely unrealistic. 2.7 Water effects are pretty great (still need a bit more work though)

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

18 minutes ago, Art-J said:

The point is, the 2.5.6 pic shows exactly what was very wrong about sea surface in all versions of 2.5.xx - the waves didn't scale properly with distance at all. Their size at the distant shore was almost the same as the ones below player's aircraft, not to mention that they looked pretty much the same whether you flew 500 ft or 5000 ft or 15 000 ft over the surface.

Now in 2.7 they scale properly at last, resembling something closer to reality.

I do agree with you about lack of whitecaps, though. 

I’ll agree with you. They didn’t scale properly in 2.5.6. They needed to be reduced as altitude increased. But at least it showed some kind of depth and life. I realize that this is a very subjective topic and I am not trying to discount anyone’s opinion on the matter. My main concern is that in VR the water quality settings do not seem to have any effect on the visuals in-game and I am not sure if this is intentional or not.

Just now, bigalsunit said:

I’ll agree with you. They didn’t scale properly in 2.5.6. They needed to be reduced as altitude increased. But at least it showed some kind of depth and life. I realize that this is a very subjective topic and I am not trying to discount anyone’s opinion on the matter. My main concern is that in VR the water quality settings do not seem to have any effect on the visuals in-game and I am not sure if this is intentional or not.

Are you sure about this last part? If that is so, then maybe you should consider opening up a topic on that in the Bug section. Also make sure to be checking the detail at low altitude, as at high altitude the differences might be negligible.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

11 hours ago, bigalsunit said:

4E967CF3-6E50-4C56-93C8-259017F7EE19.jpeg

B7835AB2-0932-49FB-9859-207BB767FFAC.jpeg

First screen looks awful in regards to the water and very unrealistic. 10knt is not much wind to see white caps.

Screen_210416_120128.jpg

Screen_210416_120134.jpg

Screen_210416_120308.jpg

Screen_210416_120324.jpg

Screen_210416_120337.jpg

Screen_210416_120344.jpg

First 2 screens about 20knt. the rest about 30knt. MUCH more realistic in visuals and wind impact on water. Anyway, white caps need a lot of work. They have a weird "pulsating" effect that make them almost dissapear at once instead of randomly each individual white cap. Also, they should be whiter and more visible overall but definitely water looks MUCH better than before. Also, a lot of work yet to be done, specially with the way the sun reflects into water, again, please, take a look here:

Take a look at my MODS here

It has texture, fly low and slow and add some wind and you will see it. IMO it looks much better than before, it's not photorealistic that's for sure but baby steps, baby steps. 

I would rather have it this way than have the 2.5 waves which were completely unrealistic and could be seen from miles away. 

Edited by Lurker

Water looks so much better now than before: the scaling at different altitudes finally seems resolved. I was very happy to see this 🙂

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 4/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, Nightfall Zero said:

I am a bad pilot I know, but I ended up crashing into the sea because I did not realise I was that low, lol. Earlier you could clearly see ripples / reflections, now not really.

Exactly the same. Have lost all in deep perception of altitude, even with a flat sea day no wind, the see changes with altitude. This has become a 2D flat picture. Very dangerous, lol

• Like 3