Roadmap this weekend?

zone 5

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

I don't know whether this would be feasible or too complicated to implement, but I could imagine a "Jester slider" in the special options menu to be a good solution sometime in the future. Set it to 100 and Jester will crack jokes like Chapelle on steroids, set it to zero and he will have the sense of humor of an especially dull Vulcan. Anywhere in between will trigger his funny takes at a certain rate. 🤷‍♂️

Not feasible, sorry. And also not really a road to go down. We said it many times: we stand behind Jester as he is. It is a similar issue like clean cockpit or not. So, if we would go down that road, we'd maybe look into removing off topic comments, for those who want pure functionality. This will still not remove all jokes, mind you, or change his personality, which we stand by. But adjusting his humor or persona - that is basically asking a writer to change his writing because you have this or that preference. We're aware that Jester is not purely a work of art, but also meant to provide functionality. If this functionality isn't impacted really, but merely met with different taste in its implementation, then this is understandable, but not necessarily something that we will ever be able to satisfy to the wishes and expectations of everyone. To some extend, we do reserve ourselves also the artistic freedom to design things in a way that fits our goals. Jester is designed with longevity in mind, and while some joke might pass by you today, in several years it will may become a welcome variation to a set of ever repeating calls that in time would simply become boring and not spark any enthusiasm for the player anymore. This is why we bury variations deep, so that even in 3 years you may discover something new. He is a certain type of companion, and ofc not everyone will always like his type, but in the end, it is important the he remains a "type", so that the player can connect, banter, argue, laugh with and get mad at him. 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Just for the record: I don't mind the jokes and banter at all. I find Jester's comments hilarious (except maybe during AAR where it's too much IMO), and they make the sometimes rather lonely single player experience in the regrettably all too sterile DCS environment much more entertaining. Jester also makes the module much more organic. The only Jester fixes I would like to see are already mentioned in the roadmap, so, personally, I'm good. 🙂

vor 48 Minuten schrieb TLTeo:

To code this you would basically need to assign each track a humor/no humor label. Then you adjust the probability distribution you use to randomly select each voice line based on that slider. The problem with that is, it's one step beyond the boring Jester idea, where you just rule out the "humor" lines when selecting what to play. If a simple boring Jester isn't feasible, this isn't a solution either.

I had an inkling that it might be too much work for such a small change, hence my preface. 🙂 I was just wondering if there was an easy way to tone Jester down a notch (and not completely "off") for those who think him too much while still keeping him the way he is for those of us who like him that way. Apparently, not easy at all. 🤷‍♂️😂

16 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Just for the record: I don't mind the jokes and banter at all. I find Jester's comments hilarious (except maybe during AAR where it's too much IMO), and they make the sometimes rather lonely single player experience in the regrettably all too sterile DCS environment much more entertaining. Jester also makes the module much more organic. The only Jester fixes I would like to see are already mentioned in the roadmap, so, personally, I'm good. 🙂

Understood, and glad he makes your time a bit more fun during stretches. However, always feel free guys to dislike anything we do. We might not always go along or agree or see it maybe differently, but we always listen, and if we can do something about it, we will. That's just generally on the side.

The refueling bug bugs us a lot, too. It destroys else also rather rare commentary by simply spooling down all of it. For some reason it still illudes us to this day, what causes it, but it hasn't been forgotten.

Thanks again for the feedback!

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Not feasible, sorry. And also not really a road to go down. We said it many times: we stand behind Jester as he is. It is a similar issue like clean cockpit or not. So, if we would go down that road, we'd maybe look into removing off topic comments, for those who want pure functionality. This will still not remove all jokes, mind you, or change his personality, which we stand by. But adjusting his humor or persona - that is basically asking a writer to change his writing because you have this or that preference. We're aware that Jester is not purely a work of art, but also meant to provide functionality. If this functionality isn't impacted really, but merely met with different taste in its implementation, then this is understandable, but not necessarily something that we will ever be able to satisfy to the wishes and expectations of everyone. To some extend, we do reserve ourselves also the artistic freedom to design things in a way that fits our goals. Jester is designed with longevity in mind, and while some joke might pass by you today, in several years it will may become a welcome variation to a set of ever repeating calls that in time would simply become boring and not spark any enthusiasm for the player anymore. This is why we bury variations deep, so that even in 3 years you may discover something new. He is a certain type of companion, and ofc not everyone will always like his type, but in the end, it is important the he remains a "type", so that the player can connect, banter, argue, laugh with and get mad at him.

As someone who enjoys the life and “real persona” Jester brings, my only issue is when the jokey comments seem out of context or break immersion.

For instance, if he’s delivering airspeed updates in a focused, tense voice, then suddenly delivers a jokey line with none of the stress present previously, that can take a player out of the moment. Even the tone of jokes should fit the situation, and in a stressful, immediate situation should sound like he’s coping with stress. As long as it fits and is believable, and is consistent with the rest of the incredible work HB has done with Jester, I’m all for it. I think some of the complaints are picking up where that isn’t always perfectly the case.

There’s also the issue with repetition of certain phrases that stand out. Such as getting the same Star Wars comments repeatedly during AAR, or some of the other more “colorful ” ones. Even though they get old as any notable phrase does, I wouldn’t want them removed. I DO think that those specific comments should be tracked and never play more than once a mission, much less several times within minutes or seconds during a long, gruelling AAR attempt.

I know it’s labour prohibitive to mark all humorous dialog and make toggles and sliders for them. But for specific comments during specific activities that can result in grating repetition, it would help a ton to eliminate them from repeating much if ever because that does destroy immersion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Is there any chance things like speed (and possible AAR) callouts could be enabled or disabled via a jester menu option? These are things that I imagine would fall under the formal or informal contract between crew members. If it were a real person this is something we'd discuss before takeoff or during startup, and its something I could ask for or ask to stop. Jester insisting on doing it 100% of the time moves him from appreciated team mate to 'that guy who has to find his own table in the wardroom' territory. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your feedback guys, we will take it all into account. I've always been a huge advocate of options, and I won't change that now either, so I think there will be some solution that is both feasible and will let folks enjoy Jester to their liking. You definitely gave a lot of input to ponder on. Thank you again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

I must say that the Jester speed callout implementation are a great.

Regarding jokes, In my opinion, a special option to disable all non informative comment, jokes, etc... would be the simplest solution to implement. I'm sorry for my bitterness, but I'll surely would have them turn off.

Edited by RPY Variable
  • Like 2

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

2 hours ago, RPY Variable said:

I must say that the Jester speed callout implementation are a great.

Regarding jokes, In my opinion, a special option to disable all non informative comment, jokes, etc... would simplest solution to implement. I'm sorry for my bitterness, but I'll surely would have them turned off.

I would have them turned off as well.  Despite HB's efforts, I am just not seeing variety.  More often than not, I get Jester making non-productive comments/jokes and hear frequent repetition of the same ones.  Since 2.7, I have flown four quick BFM engagements and each time, I hear Jester make the "420 blaze it" comment.  It got old real quick, not to mention it just isn't funny or appropriate to begin with.  It is just so very out of place and takes the immersion away.

I understand the idea of giving Jester a personality and think it's great, only if implemented realistically and properly though.  I feel we are getting to the point where he is becoming more of a joke and burden than anything really useful.  His personality should be reflected more by how he says things and his emotion, not necessarily what he says. 

Hopefully a balance can be reached that gives Jester a personality while also maintaining realism and proper military behavior.  Combat and speed callouts are not the time for Jester to practice his comedy routine, nor is behind a tanker while I am trying to plug the basket...

If Jester doesn't wise up, I am going to toss a loaded piddle pack into the rear seat!

Edited by N0430BM
  • Like 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Jokes are certainly not a thing I look for in the realistic sim. Would turn them off if I could now. Jester's errors are fine for me though.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Having a smart-ass cracking jokes in the back seat isn't unrealistic, the inability to tell him to shut up is.

Jester could respond with hurt feelings about you not appreciating his colorful personality and then be quiet.

• Like 4