I’m done with 2.7. crashes – how can I safely get back to 2.5.6 stable?

wernst

What is the use of detailed clouds and spinning props if I can’t see them? 

I carefully read all posts here and have come to the conclusion:

So far no report could systematically, truly identify the cause of the problems yet. Many different proposals but no real solution.

I'm afraid of following all the proposed solutions because I may inject the one or other new serious problem to the system.

And then my system is really messed up.    

Until the ED devs come up with helpful solutions I want to switch back to 2.5.6.

With this stable version I’m the only one who causes crashes - e.g. with the plane into ground.

After the devs have evaluated all crashes I hope that they will post dedicated solutions here or release "cure-updates". 

But for the time being: How can I safely revert 2.7. beta to 2.5.6. stable?

What I know is that it can be done with command line inputs.

But which commands? What is the exact syntax for reverting the 2.7. beta to 2.5.6. stable? (esp. which updater version?)

Any helpful input is much appreciated.

Edited by wernst
adding new point

• ED Team

Thank you for participating in the public open beta test 

If you wish to report a bug please include track replays and your dcs log

DCS 2.7 will be receiving updates and fixes in the near future for issues already reported and reproduced thanks to user reports. 

My advice if you wish to is use the stable version  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, wernst said:

What is the use of detailed clouds and spinning props if I can’t see them?

Wernst,

DCS 2.7 is stable! I had constant crashes too until I removed my VRAM overclock. Sometimes even default clocks (both VRAM and GPU) on a graphics card are too high--they do that a lot because it's good marketing, but it just isn't stable.

Before you give up on 2.7 make sure you try under-clocking both your VRAM and GPU a couple hundred MHz. Try it out and see if it's stable. Mine is now! Enjoy the goodness that is 2.7 and then sneak up on stable clocks. 2.7 runs great! Even at lower clocks you'll have better performance overall.

AD

55 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If you wish to report a bug please include track replays and your dcs log

DCS 2.7 will be receiving updates and fixes in the near future for issues already reported and reproduced thanks to user reports. 

My advice if you wish to is use the stable version  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Bignewy,

When people get crashing, you should remember to advise them to try under-clocking their graphics cards, both VRAM and GPU. It usually doesn't take a lot, and this has saved my bacon numerous times after messing around chasing after constant crashes.

Default clocks on graphics cards are often just too high. They benchmark great--and crash when a heavy load is put on them. It's something to keep in mind.

Oh yeah, 2.7 rocks! 🎸🤘    :drinks_cheers:

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

15 minutes ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

When people get crashing, you should remember to advise them to try under-clocking their graphics cards, both VRAM and GPU. It usually doesn't take a lot, and this has saved my bacon numerous times after messing around chasing after constant crashes.

Majority of people that get crashes in this update aren't mid flight they are on loading screens, exiting the game etc.

Of course first step when something starts misbehaving like this is to undo all overclocks and test for stability just to be sure, but it's not the case here, it seems that something is wrong on code level and if my suspicion is correct and it has to do with memory allocation that issue can manifest differently on every single configuration. Some PCs would seem unaffected because crash would happen once in 10000 times but others will experience it once in 5 times, that's why those type of things are hard to track without configuration that is having issues you can't use debuggers effectively to find broken line of code.

I am also dealing with crashes and currently whatever I do I can't seem to make it crash, yet yesterday it was misbehaving all day. Hope it's not cosmic rays affecting my PC 😄

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

. . . 

Thank you BIGNEWY for the wink with the fence post: „public open beta test“ in bold letters.

Message understood. 2.7. is a beta test version, crashes have to be expected - and accepted.

Your advice to my question „how to revert to 2.5.6. by command inputs“ - „Have a fresh and complete new install“.

Yes, this message has also been understood well . . .  even from a non genius. 

I was seriously asking for a pragmatic solution until we will receive future fixes but I feel fobbed off with less helpful phrases.  

I did some search how to revert tu 2.5.6 stable and I found this command: 

. . . \DCS World OpenBeta\bin>DCS_updater.exe update 2.5.6.61527.3@release

If somebody can confirm that this command works to revert to stable I am fine.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Bignewy,

I don't even... the akwardness of this advice is beyond comprehension. I mean, it's great that it helped you, honestly (hey, whatever works - works), but first - not all of flight simmers run on overclocked setups, second - most of us suffer from these crashes while loading a second mission (why not the first one?), or exiting it, or while changing gfx settings, third - it's not normal (or expected) when one has to underclock /undervolt components just to make an application run. 

All parts runnig stock speeds in my PC BTW and I suffered from crashes as well. I kind of found temporary solution for these (at least for my config) and it involved strictly changing the drivers and fiddling with Full Screen mode. I guess it will be difficult to troubleshoot for the devs.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

I don't even... the akwardness of this advice is beyond comprehension. I mean, it's great that it helped you, honestly (hey, whatever works - works), but first - not all of flight simmers run on overclocked setups, second - most of us suffer from these crashes while loading a second mission (why not the first one?), or exiting it, or while changing gfx settings, third - it's not normal (or expected) when one has to underclock /undervolt components just to make an application run. 

All parts runnig stock speeds in my PC BTW and I suffered from crashes as well. I kind of found temporary solution for these (at least for my config) and it involved strictly changing the drivers and fiddling with Full Screen mode. I guess it will be difficult to troubleshoot for the devs.

If you're getting crashes on the second mission, do you have a fixed size paging file? That might be it. I had to drastically increase the size of my paging file to 32 GB.

You could also try turning off the Disk Cache if you're using an Nvidia graphics card.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

8 minutes ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

If you're getting crashes on the second mission, do you have a fixed size paging file? That might be it. I had to drastically increase the size of my paging file to 32 GB.

It's not the page file. E_OUTOFMEMORY is usually associated with it but why am I so sure it isn't pagefile in this case, well because I saw first hand dxdiag of a member that has 64GB of RAM and the same amount of page file yet it crashes in the same manner for him too.

Both CPU and GPU vendors can be affected... Intel, AMD and Nvidia so that is also out of the equation.