[NO BUG] Tarawa

Gerrard

Just booted up 2.7 and while creating a new AV-8B mission the Tarawa is not one of the listed ships? All of the CVNs are there plus the cruiser and destroyer, but no Tarawa?

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? :(

I've loaded older missions to test and the Tarawa is still there sailing up the Russian coast, on the drop down list (incidentally, so is the Oliver Perry) but sadly missing on the 'create new mission' option.

Confused.com!  🙂

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Recluse:

Speaking of Tarawa -  Great new textures for the Tarawa, but the Static Deck Crew that was hanging out previously seems to be gone.  As intended?

yes

you can place deck crew and static objects now at will in the mission editor, so the default stuff was removed for greater diversity

I tried adding a sailor, a tech, a second tech and another piece of static deck equipment to a mission I was creating .... but it did not go well.  When I flew the mission, the sailor, the two techs, and the deck equipment ended up in one big heap in the middle of the ship.  Any idea what may have gone wrong ?  How do you actually place these items where you want them, and get them to stay put ??

16 hours ago, glen.a.williamson said:

I tried adding a sailor, a tech, a second tech and another piece of static deck equipment to a mission I was creating .... but it did not go well.  When I flew the mission, the sailor, the two techs, and the deck equipment ended up in one big heap in the middle of the ship.  Any idea what may have gone wrong ?  How do you actually place these items where you want them, and get them to stay put ??

I finally got around to trying it. Worked fine. Everyone stayed put. NOTE.. you have to use the Dropdown box that says LINK TO and make sure they are linked to the TARAWA. Until I did that, I didn't see anyone. They probably slid off the moving ship before I got into the cockpit. Might be a different issue for you, but try it if you haven't.

Recluse, Thank You very much for taking the time and effort to check this out.  I actually was aware of the need to use LINK TO dropdown box feature ... that was not the problem.  My problem was that I did not know where or how to place the Static Objects on the ship in the first place.... they were all jumbled up in a random mess.  I was placing my STATIC OBJECTS in somewhat of a "hit or miss" fashion, somewhat blindly, because I did not know the SHOW MODELS button and the SAT VIEW button and the ALT VIEW button/features were now working. The last I checked a few weeks back, they were not. 

image.png

I now know where I am placing and orienting the STATIC OBJECTS .... and, if I remember to LINK them, they stay there.  Thanks again for your help.

Edited by glen.a.williamson

Thanks for the replies.

Sadly, it still doesn't show up in my ships list when trying to create new mission which is really weird given the above comments - all of the CVNs are there, the Burke, Ticonderoga, the Hardy thingy, but no Tarawa or Oliver Perry.. If I load one of my older mission then hey-presto, she magically reappears.

Can anybody tell me if the Tarawa part of the AV-8B module or is it a DCS object?. Thinking I may try to re-install Harrier to see if that works.

just noticed something I consider rather strange. 

Apparently DCS does not classify the Tarawa as a CARRIER .... it does not show up in the list of Carriers ...

But the Tarawa does show up under the ALL category ... please see below :

image.png

Screenshot 2021-04-23 102738.jpg

Could that be part of the problem you are experiencing ?

Edited by glen.a.williamson
Can't spell any better than I can type

Designations of LHA's dont match CV's if that is how ED decided to split them. It's actually a Landing ship which split into LHD's and LHA's, LPD's, LSD's, LX(R)'s. I mean... the Kuznetsov is a Heavy (aircraft carrying) Cruiser apparently. And the Chinese LHA doesnt have a category at all in DCS.

What did we learn? Everyone classifies stuff differently 🙂 and it was pointless for ED to try to do this to help people because they interpret things either as it makes sense or as the military does it in one nation, or as an aggregate guess of how all nations do it (which is usually Western centric these years) and ther eis no right answer.

Do not under any circumstances click the historical mode or you will be confused for months.:)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Really hoped the 'Carrier' tab would be the one, although I'd have felt a bit stupid admitting it! 

But no, I get the same result as you except there is no Tarawa or Oliver Perry in any of the categories.

I'll try uninstalling AV-8B and let you know if it works.

Thanks to all for your effort, this is a great community. 👍

Re-install AV-8B didn't work. This is what I get.

The 'Naval Group - 2016' is different to your screen - not sure why that is.

image.png

However, if I use one of my old save games, there she is!

image.png

image.png

Edited by Gerrard

Gerrard ... I really hope the re-install solves this for you .

Pikey ... Thanks for putting the art of classification in perspective ... I can appreciate why that can often be problematic.  ( Now trying to work up the courage to take a look at the historical mode ... curiosity can be a dangerous thing sometimes ...  lol. ) 

23 minutes ago, myHelljumper said:

Have you tried to uninstall all your mods and run a DCS repair ?

Hi, I don't use any mods and I've done the repair through Skatezilla program and also uninstalled AV-8B.

As you can see above I can use the Tarawa from saved games but not 'new mission'. I think I may have to completely uninstall everything and try again.. That's a lot of modules!..

Yeah I'm really sorry but I think it's the only option for now.

Do you have the "Historical list of units" activated in the editor by any chances ? I get a similar list when I activate this option.

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

On 4/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, glen.a.williamson said:

just noticed something I consider rather strange. 

Apparently DCS does not classify the Tarawa as a CARRIER .... it does not show up in the list of Carriers ...

But the Tarawa does show up under the ALL category ... please see below :

Could that be part of the problem you are experiencing ?

Razbam will have to add the line of code to the lua so it shows in the category list

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I personally think that if Razbam or ED were to add that line of code as you suggest, it would lessen some of this confusion considerably. But, If I am understanding correctly what Pikey said in his earlier post above, it unfortunately doesn't sound like that is something Razbam/ED is likely to do.