How to disable crash dumps.

Taz1004
Go to solution Solved by Taz1004,

My C drive was filling up quickly and it was due to DCS crash dumps.  About 250mb file created each time it crashes.  And my DCS was crashing often while I was testing mods so it was adding up to quite a lot.

Is there Autoexec setting that disables crash dumps?

• 5 weeks later...

Gonna bump this one more time.  I'm still getting these crash dumps filling up my SSD.  I'm sure it's same with others who are experiencing lots of crash.  I remember seeing some autoexec.cfg setting that disables crash dumps... or was it crash logs.  Isn't there documentation for autoexec.cfg?

Screenshot 2021-05-19 035043.jpg

That is interesting. I've just checked the same folder on my end: it only contains crash dumps from 2019... and  I know for sure my DCS isn't that stable.

I have no idea how I it stopped creating dumps in here, but maybe they are elsewhere on my drives. I'll  take a look.

Sorry, I have no idea how to stop these files from being generated.

image.png

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

6 hours ago, jfnelson0127 said:

Can you periodically delete the .dmp files in the CrashDump folder?

Absolutely. They are just memories of previous crashes. It means you can delete them whenever you want.

Edited by Flappie

Had a crash after today's patch and I'm still getting these dumps.  I did the Regedit and Services fix above and still getting it.  By the way, the dump file is only generated if you get the crash message box from DCS.  Not when it just quits or hangs.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 150555.jpg

Screenshot 2021-05-20 151236.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

There are two different regedit tips here. Have you tried both of them?

That's actually for Windows 7 and what it does is same thing as what I posted for Win10.  Disable crash dump in Regedit and Services.  And they're both disabled.

Then I have no idea why dumps keep coming at you. Maybe you can trace down which process creates these dumps. If you own the Viggen, here's a way to make DCS crash on purpose:

1. REF LOLA in
  2. Typing "990000" -> Display goes "000000"
  3. Typing "9099"
  4. Pressing LS -> Leads to an instant crash

• Solution

I think I got it.  Different place in Regedit based on this MS doc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Below is the Key you have to add.

Screenshot 2021-05-21 222414.jpg

Crashed twice today and dumps didn't get created.  It's classified as "User-Mode Dump" and that's why it wasn't working with other Regedit.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 1