Peddles Needed To Get Started?

Zulu111

Hi Pilots,

I am new to the DCS flight sim and I wanted to ask a question please. I have managed to acquire the Thrustmaster HOTAS but I am still waiting for my Thrustmaster peddles to arrive. Given this limitation would I still be able to fly modules like the F-16 or F-18 or the JF-17 in the meantime until my peddles arrive?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

The need for pedals is overrated. You can fly both the F-16 and the F-18 quite well without pedals. I usually only use the pedals on the ground when I'm rolling to the airfield.

• Like 2

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I would agree that the relatively modern jets have little need for pedals except on the ground.

For the single prop fighters they are necessary in flight, and especially in combat.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, LeCuvier said:

I would agree that the relatively modern jets have little need for pedals except on the ground.

For the single prop fighters they are necessary in flight, and especially in combat.

That's correct, but Pilot905 asked about the F-16, F-18 and JF-17. They are far from being prop fighters. :smartass:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

2 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

I dont even use them for helicopters 🤔

I have pedals- I just dont use them- Z and X are your rudders. Once im in the air, i never touch them.
Huey- trim with z in the hover, and use yaw to control your direction in the Hover.
Mi8- Just be careful.
Dora- Use brakes to point in direction, then go for it. If you hammer the rev's she yaw's to the left, so i just go easy on takeoff unless im at an ALG, then im careful.

Edited by StevanJ

3 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Once im in the air, i never touch them.

How do you coördinate your turns then?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!