How to assign two axis racing pedals as rudder?

SOLVED!   ... see my bottom post

Simple issue, two different axis to assign for rudder left/right.

I'v been around this issue for many years, my prior thrustmaster pedals had an option to merge both axis to a single one. Assigning in DCS was no problem then.  Now I got better pedals, no more merging possible. Bought the LG - Saitek Rudder Pedals for testing, they work, but feel incredible cheap. Solution would be simple,  another assignable axis LEFT and RIGHT rudder.

But its not there for years. 😮

Found MSFS2020 just updated their controls to have 2-axis rudder, can we pls have this option in DCS too?

I know so many people have the same problem, still found nothing by searching the forum.

Thank you very much.

Edited by FOXXGER

Well, you can still use a virtual joystick with some feeder that supports an axis merge (or write a feeder yourself, like with AHK).

Of course it's sad that even F4BMS supports this feature while DCS doesn't

/EDIT Aparently, it does with a trick of substraction of two axes bound to the same action, 
as described below by @Ryann

, but I doubt they'll just add it by your request. Also, a mouse joystick is also absent from the game, which is sad as well. 

Edited by Черный Дракул
New info
  • Like 1

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

You can do this in the axis tuning dialog.

1. First, assign both axes to the Rudder.

Screen_210526_084013.jpg

2. Open Axis Tune dialog and set Saturation and Slider checkbox for the first axis.

Screen_210526_084041.png

3. Do the same for the second axis and tick Invert checkbox.

Screen_210526_084112.png

Now you can use both pedals (clutch and throttle for me with TM T3PA Pro).

Edited by Ryann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CPU: i7-10700 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB | STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB | DISPLAY: LG 43UN7100 43" | STICK: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Stupid OT question:

Can you do it the other way round? I want to use my rudder pedals as accelerator and brake....

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 hours ago, Hiob said:

Stupid OT question:

Can you do it the other way round? I want to use my rudder pedals as accelerator and brake....

If they have toe brakes and windows detects these as two separate hardware axes then why not... The game doesn't know what device the potentiometer / hall sensor / whatever is physically installed in. It's just an axis which can be bound to some function.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

3 hours ago, 26-J39 said:

Cool.  Thanks!

Do as Ryann has shown above. I was doing the same with my Logitechs and Thrustmasters before I bought actual rudder pedals later. It worked reasonably good for such a compromise solution. You can add some curvature as well to make them less sensitive near the center.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Ryann:

1. First, assign both axes to the Rudder.

Screen_210526_084013.jpg

2. Open Axis Tune dialog and set Saturation and Slider checkbox for the first axis.

Screen_210526_084041.png

3. Do the same for the second axis and tick Invert checkbox.

Screen_210526_084112.png

Thnx for the fantastic hint, BUT unlucky me -

the values translate the other way around. Pushing gas brings right rudder from extreme right to center, and pushing clutch brings it from extreme left to center. I need 0 push to be 100, and full push to be 0 in order to work.  😞

Reversing only changes from left to right...not from full to 0 -> which would lead to center to side movement.

Edited by FOXXGER

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

If they have toe brakes and windows detects these as two separate hardware axes then why not... The game doesn't know what device the potentiometer / hall sensor / whatever is physically installed in. It's just an axis which can be bound to some function.

That wasn‘t what I was aiming for. Is it possible to divide one axis into two?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 1 month later...

Great utilities but simplicity is always better (imho).

I think the centering issue was not present in earlier versions of DCS World?

I am on the latest version (non beta) and visually and technically the rudder goes from one extreme to the other and does not autocenter. (car pedals setu up exactly like the guide posted above)

Last chance for me is to delete the profile totally and make a new one....

• 1 month later...

On 5/26/2021 at 2:51 AM, Ryann said:

Thanks, glad I saw your post. Trying to find the righty combination of settings to do this was illusive but the described method works great for the rudder with my Thrustmaster T500 RS racing pedals!

Edited by Gris

• 11 months later...