Leap Support!!!

On 2/3/2022 at 3:02 AM, edmuss said:

I think to get the right hand to be more reliably shown you might need to give the stick a tiny waggle, if there is any control input on it DCS considers you to be hotas so hides the hand (this is assuming that you have the stick/throttle hand interaction turned off). Try setting a massive stick dead zone to see if that helps to alleviate it, also try with vr mouse enabled.

The settings are bugged at this time, they need to be reset each time you restart DCS and in order to set the pointer condition you need to set a different option and then set what you want.

The hands will clip through the cockpit and buttons. I find that there's a certain knack to getting the finger in the right place before pressing, sometimes it helps to lean inline with the button so that the parallax errors are minimised. I quite quickly developed muscle memory to lean to position the finger and then make a distinct actuation; it is slower than pushing a physical button though.

I have best results using a "gun finger" hand pose to keep the single fingertip out on its own to help with tracking the point. Make sure that the fingers are actually still tracking movement and it's not frozen the fingers in place, at which point I don't think the hand can interact with the cockpit.

Finally check that you have minimal IR reflective surfaces near where you press controls. Open the ultraleap visualiser and look at the background behind your hands, if it's white then it's reflecting the IR and the leap motion will have a harder time spotting the outline of the hand. Ideally you want white hands on a black background. I used closed cell foam sheet to absorb the background IR and it made the tracking infinitely better 🙂

I tired out your suggestions and was able to get both hands showing and with laser pointers turned off, unfortunately without the pointers I'm still unable to interact with anything in cockpit as the virtual hands will still clip right through the model with no interaction of the buttons. Hopefully there is a patch soon that fixes that as the hands seems to track OK enough that if the buttons would activate when my finger tip collided with them the system would be useful. I tried covering my monitor which was the only thing that seemed IR reflective in the visualizer but that had no effect  on button interaction.

What module were you using? Only DCS modules at the moment have leap motion enabled buttons, I believe that the hands will show up but not be able to click anything.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

10 hours ago, edmuss said:

What module were you using? Only DCS modules at the moment have leap motion enabled buttons, I believe that the hands will show up but not be able to click anything.

Tired the F18, the F16, and the A10CII. All no joy

That's odd, try hovering the tip of the finger just above the button below pressing it, I think the finger has to be in an 'activation zone' before it can press the button. The OSB should have a purple square light up next to it to show that you've pressed it.

I also found that parallax errors could mean that it was quite easy to miss the activation zone if I was using the far MFD OSBs for example. Initially try learning in so that you're directly square to the button. You should get the hang of where it needs to be and it'll become second nature.

You are using your index finger to manipulate the buttons aren't you? I think the rest are all disabled.

edit: the leap motion scales the skeletal mapping to the size of your actual hands, however I don't think the DCS gloves scale accordingly. If you have particularly large or small hands the actual virtual fingertip might be in a different place from the tip of the glove model. Move the finger slowly towards the button and see if you get a better result to start with.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• 2 weeks later...

Try enabling VR mouse, you should be able to have both co-existing without any problems 🙂

edit: set pointers to off as well, I think that might disable the mouse cursor as well; unfortunately the settings are bugged so you have to reset it each time and set it to a setting you don't want and then to finally to what you want - it's an annoying faff that hopefully gets sorted out soon.

Edited by edmuss

vor 15 Stunden schrieb edmuss:

Try enabling VR mouse, you should be able to have both co-existing without any problems 🙂

edit: set pointers to off as well, I think…

For me, the mouse disappears when the hands appear.
(With the setting "Hands do not move the stick/throttle.)
Both at the same time does not work.

Is this the same for you?

I have the same issue, where is that VR mouse setting?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope I get both mouse pointer white dot and the hands, if I look at the mouse whilst using it the leap motion gloves tracks my hands resting on saved moving with the mouse and I still get the cursor.

If you make a fist with either hand do you get a green or blue laser pointer coming out of the knuckles?

VR mouse option is in the VR settings tab.

Edited by edmuss

Unless you have the virtual hands operating throttle and stick options turned on any input on either will hide the hands and stop them tracking. Sometimes there can be an imperceptible input on the stick (not quite dead centre) so it won't unhide the right hand. Having the virtual hands interact with throttle and stick doesn't work well if you have a physical hotas as it gives double control inputs and gets very confusing.

Try to re-centre the stick and repositioning the throttle slightly and see if that helps with unhiding the hands.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY  Because you guys just aren't busy enough 😄

Since last OB (2.7.11) there has been some slightly odd behaviour with the leap hands. With pointers turned off they are projecting a mouse crosshair onto flat faces.

Where the crosshair is partially on a face and there is a parallel face further away (like the bezel of the MFD and the plate it's attached to) then it will be projected onto the further face as well.

Much like a laser beam picking up smoke if that makes sense?

Seems to work otherwise barring the having to renable and reset the settings each time bug 🙂

To be honest I think that most of the dev resources have been pushed to getting the apache out of the door.

This is a subset feature of a subset of DCS users and it by and large, works ok as it is so it's not going to be first priority for dev time.

I'm happy to wait 🙂

Hi,
I'm afraid the development time will be very long before we can operate Leap Motion satisfactorily.

I am currently following the development of OpenXR - very exciting.
There are such great people out there who can program.
We would have to find someone to take on Leap Motion and develop it further for DCS

Curious, mine still worked without changing anything.

Does it work in the visualiser?

You could try copying the leapc.dll (or whatever the file's called) from the ultraleap visualiser installation directory and overwrite the version in the DCS folder?

Yup works perfectly for me, there are a couple of bugs with vr mouse cursor in latest version but it's only really aesthetic and functionality and are present in both steamvr and openxr.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb tomeye:

Recent user of leap motion, I have two questions:

• sometimes I see blue or green line in front of my fingers, what's the difference?
  • every time I have to disable-enable leap motion in DCS options for hands to appear.

Hi,

every time I have to disable-enable….

This is a bug and will hopefully be solved soon.

Unfortunately I can't say anything about the other thing. Maybe edmuss can say something about it

• Like 1

Blue and green lines are the pointers for if you're using the leap motion as a glorified laser pointer mouse.

The pointer will change colour based on the orientation of your hand, off the top of my head green (palm down) is for left click and blue (palm up) is right click. I don't think that there is mouse wheel emulation with the pointers, it might be that you can click and grab a rotary and it will move?

There are two options to emulate the mouse click, thumb pressure and index finger bend. I find neither of them particularly reliable because both of them induce movement into the skeletal model and shifts the pointer from where it was pointed. Having said that, if you get the fingertip very close to the control before clicking the amount of displacement would be much less pronounced. To be fair I have only ever used it from a virtual distance of about 250mm (10 inches) so think I'll try that out later!

The enable/disable bug is annoying, hopefully it'll get sorted soon and DCS. The pointer selection drop down is also bugged, to set them you need to set something else and then set what you want.

edit: using the pointers up close wasn't much better for me at the pointer is attached to the wrist not the finger and it usually points off at an odd angle. I also still struggle to get consistent mouse click; I'll stick with no pointers and actually pressing the buttons.

Edited by edmuss

Hi

sorry if it has been already discussed but I can't find it through the search.

Do you think that pairing leap motion with pointctrl should be a viable option?

I was wondering to do that in order to keep having the awareness where your finger is moving and use pointctrl to act for pushing buttons and rotating knobs