Vikhr Missiles HUGE FPS DROP

-Relax-

Hi, i am interest to buy the KA 50 this Sale and currently testing with in the 14 Day Free Trial.

My Problem is I have huge FPS drop not sure if any can help or this is a bug!?

Everytime i shoot this weapon my frames drop under 20 FPS.🙁 I dont have this Problem with any other Module. 

I made a Video how it looks:

https://streamable.com/r00v06

My Graphic Settings:

https://ibb.co/YD4SwqC

My System: I6700k@4ghz + GTX 1060 + 32gb@3200 + SSD 870 EVO 1tb DCS + System SSD with Pagefile Auto

I am guessing its my GPU, but hoping this is just performance bug and can be fixed...

I heard People from ED asked for LOG/Track Files to have a look what happening so i add them here.

Not Sure if Its the right files but the log file was the only wich matched the Date/Time.

KA50 FPS Drop.trk dcs.log.old

Edited by -Relax-

1060 would have hard time handling the lingering smoke transparency.  This would be less noticeable on fast jets as the smoke clears away fast.

And your graphic setting is fairly high for your GPU.  I'd say lowering the Forest detail and turning off Lens effect would probably give you best FPS improvement.

• Like 1

This is an old bug (if you want to say its a bug). It was reported many times before. I have no idea why ED have not fixed it. I have RTX 3060 Ti and it still drop FPS the moment you launch it.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

1 hour ago, Oceandar said:

This is an old bug (if you want to say its a bug). It was reported many times before. I have no idea why ED have not fixed it. I have RTX 3060 Ti and it still drop FPS the moment you launch it.

How would they fix it?  Only way to fix it is to reduce the number of smoke or make the smoke smaller or make them disappear quicker.  All of which would degrade appearance.  I've explained may times that transparency is one of the most costly graphic effect.  It's more expensive than poly count or texture size.  If smoke fills up your screen and you're sitting in it, you can't avoid killing your FPS.  It's not just DCS.  Smoke is FPS hog in Assetto Corsa.

This is from Unreal Engine documentation.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 234703.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 5

Then how can other smokes does not impact much on FPS like Vikhr does? Russian A2A missiles for example do have smoke and I don't notice any significant impact on FPS. Same as flying high enough and get contrail on behind jet also no noticable impact on FPS.
Its clearly there's something wrong with Vikhr. It probably has nothing to do with the smoke.

• Like 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

4 hours ago, Oceandar said:

Then how can other smokes does not impact much on FPS like Vikhr does? Russian A2A missiles for example do have smoke and I don't notice any significant impact on FPS. Same as flying high enough and get contrail on behind jet also no noticable impact on FPS.
Its clearly there's something wrong with Vikhr. It probably has nothing to do with the smoke.

As I mentioned above, it's because you're sitting inside that smoke in helicopter until it dissipates versus in a fighter, you're moving through it.  I don't have it but I heard there's similar issue with Hind gun smoke?  If you're stationary, you're looking through ALL layers of the smoke that missile generated.  Could be hundreds.  If you're moving at 300 knots and following the smoke trail, you'll be looking at much less particles as many of them are behind you.

Blow up a vehicle and sit inside that smoke.  You will get big FPS hit.

Actually, there's one thing that's different with Vikhr smoke than all other missiles.  That it has two emitters.  And goes in spiral.  And that you're also looking at that smoke in Shkval too.  Which may be why it's worse.  But then that's how it flies...

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

• ED Team
12 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

How would they fix it?  Only way to fix it is to reduce the number of smoke or make the smoke smaller or make them disappear quicker.  All of which would degrade appearance.  I've explained may times that transparency is one of the most costly graphic effect.  It's more expensive than poly count or texture size.  If smoke fills up your screen and you're sitting in it, you can't avoid killing your FPS.  It's not just DCS.  Smoke is FPS hog in Assetto Corsa.

This is from Unreal Engine documentation.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 234703.jpg

Almost every game on the market allows adjusting density of particle effects. DCS does not, in spite of performance impact. Not to mention there are techniques to mitigate overdraw. If they can't be bothered to introduce them, then at least give us a particle effects density slider. I'd be very willing to make smoke look like s**t for me if it means the game doesn't stop when I launch atgms.
The issue is even worse in CA. And it got significantly worse with the last effects system upgrade. Stop trying to sell us something that is a consequence of developers' choices and design as an unavoidable force of nature.

Edited by m4ti140

2 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

Almost every game on the market allows adjusting density of particle effects. DCS does not, in spite of performance impact. Not to mention there are techniques to mitigate overdraw. If they can't be bothered to introduce them, then at least give us a particle effects density slider. I'd be very willing to make smoke look like s**t for me if it means the game doesn't stop when I launch atgms.
The issue is even worse in CA. And it got significantly worse with the last effects system upgrade. Stop trying to sell us something that is a consequence of developers' choices and design as an unavoidable force of nature.

What would be those techniques?  I already mentioned the density, size and speed above.  DCS gives you choice of tree and building detail.  Other games do not.  That's not the choice of the developer?  Racing sims for example have just 1 type of smoke.  And what am I selling?  I simply answered a question on why Vikhr smoke would have big impact on GTX 1060 with 6GB of VRAM.  Maybe you haven't seen my post about 32bit normal maps.  I will criticize ED on their methods if I feel it doesn't make sense.

Since you're aware of other technique to reduce overdraw, you're more than welcome to make a mod to reduce smoke and share.  Those who are willing to put up with s**t looking smoke may use it.  And if it works, ED may use it too.

Edited by Taz1004

2 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

Also, see how his frame rate drop when his Shkval cursor moves across the trees around 10 second mark.  Trees are also causing overdraw and it's multiplied by the smoke.  And he set his forest detail and Shkval display resolution to max.  Again, these are just my suggestion to him to reduce frame rate impact of the smoke.  Wanna make sure I clarify that I'm not ED salesman 🤣

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

I have try set down the tree/scenery detail and trees visibility and so on to minimum. NO CHANGE perormance.

I am no coder but i hope its just a coding issure or some. 

For sure smoke can be a high graphic thing but this drop is insane. Can understand a drop but like this seems not normal or good optimised to me.

Anyway hope ED can do something here or give more option in settings to reduce smoke.

Hmmm...

This was a bug along time ago that got fixed as I recall...

I don't think mine do this.  I'm running a good bit more system than you are but back when this was happening I was running a 970.  All of a sudden with a patch the Vikhr wrecked framerate.  Next patch it was fixed.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here but I suspect you have something wrong.

HAve you tried clearing the shader chaches?

Any cockpit mods in the shark?

Drivers updates?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 6/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, -Relax- said:

I have try set down the tree/scenery detail and trees visibility and so on to minimum. NO CHANGE perormance.

I am no coder but i hope its just a coding issure or some. 

For sure smoke can be a high graphic thing but this drop is insane. Can understand a drop but like this seems not normal or good optimised to me.

Anyway hope ED can do something here or give more option in settings to reduce smoke.

Make sure your graphics card isn't overheating or getting old. I had the same problem, didn't know what was wrong and blamed the developers when it was just my own graphics card dying on me from too many particles. From what you're describing it sounds like you might want to upgrade sometime soon.

My Graphiccard is fine to my knowledge (has no damage or something). The temps are mostly at 60 and never go over 65. I have same frames like it was new 5 years ago with games where i can compare as they didnt have such updates like graphics and so on..

Driver i tried some. So its not ony my end. If any has same system as me and not having this issue then we can talk about my end...

Before that its not good optimization for my card or we can blame how bad my card is this days, thats it.

Anyway. Sadly no buy for the ka 50 then for me

• -Relax- changed the title to Vikhr Missiles HUGE FPS DROP
9 minutes ago, -Relax- said:

My Graphiccard is fine to my knowledge (has no damage or something). The temps are mostly at 60 and never go over 65. I have same frames like it was new 5 years ago with games where i can compare as they didnt have such updates like graphics and so on..

Driver i tried some. So its not ony my end. If any has same system as me and not having this issue then we can talk about my end...

Before that its not good optimization for my card or we can blame how bad my card is this days, thats it.

Anyway. Sadly no buy for the ka 50 then for me

You said this at the very beginning.  "I am guessing its my GPU, but hoping this is just performance bug and can be fixed... " you guessed right!

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

@aairon

Yes i said, beucause its not the best card this days anymore, but not in terms of that the card is dying or so. That was my point to be clear.

Also i said i hope its a performance bug or some (or bad optimization) i am right here too? 🙄

• 3 weeks later...