"Air flow over canopy sound has been improved."

Andartu
Go to solution Solved by btd,

33 minutes ago, SFJackBauer said:

With two files inside it. Is that the correct folder structure?

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit → the two files "F404GE_Amb_In" & "F404GE_ThrustNoiseLoop_In"

4 minutes ago, Andartu said:

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit → the two files "F404GE_Amb_In" & "F404GE_ThrustNoiseLoop_In"

Thanks, that did it. The difference is noticeable now, and it indeed removes the low frequency rumble of the engines.

4 hours ago, btd said:

Thanks for your feedback. This fix will be included in the nearest official updates.

I know that this sounds frustrating but I tried the hotfix and the looping sound with the frequency change is still there. I can show it with a freq analysis tool too. Maybe the hotfix didn't work with Steam??? The sound is still there and it seems to be the engines. I don't want to waste ED's time so I just want to confirm that some of you noticed a difference? Describe the difference you noticed?

Edit: It seems like some people got it working?? Maybe it is my fault? Does this hotfix work on steam?

My folder structure (on steam)

C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

and the 2 files in "Cockpit" folder

Basically I have the same issue as @SFJackBauer above 😞

Edited by Rissala

9 minutes ago, Rissala said:

C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

Do you have stable and open beta installed? Cause your path says DCS and not open beta.. so you may installed it on stable, or is this a typo here on your side?

5 minutes ago, Andartu said:

Do you have stable and open beta installed? Cause your path says DCS and not open beta.. so you may installed it on stable, or is this a typo here on your side?

Not a typo. I'm on 2.7.4 latest open beta on Steam and the file structure is copied straight from file explorer (name removed tho). I tried to rename the DCS folder to match yours but DCS just ignored that folder and created a new one called "DCS" so I don't think that is the right way to do it.

Maybe It is broken on steam?

Edited by Rissala

5 minutes ago, Rissala said:

Not a typo. I'm on 2.7.4 latest open beta on Steam and the file structure is copied straight from file explorer (name removed tho). I tried to rename the DCS folder to match yours but DCS just ignored that folder and created a new one called "DCS" so I don't think that is the right way to do it.

Maybe It is broken on steam?

Well things got a bit confusing here sorry 😄

So lets just rewind this. You wanna just extract the the zip. Then you have a file called "Sound". Now you put that file into your Saved games folder for the open beta wherever it is located on your machine. Then the "Sound" file shows up there like in my attached pic.

I am on stand alone though cause I like to keep things away from steam as much as possible. But I believe steam is not very different aside from maybe something like "steam" within the path.

dcs.openbeta.jpg

21 minutes ago, Andartu said:

Well things got a bit confusing here sorry 😄

So lets just rewind this. You wanna just extract the the zip. Then you have a file called "Sound". Now you put that file into your Saved games folder for the open beta wherever it is located on your machine. Then the "Sound" file shows up there like in my attached pic.

I am on stand alone though cause I like to keep things away from steam as much as possible. But I believe steam is not very different aside from maybe something like "steam" within the path.

dcs.openbeta.jpg

Yes it was exactly as shown. I had the same file structure. For steam there isn't a file called DCS.openbeta in the path but rather just DCS. The issue was in my head.

I did some testing and I found out that yes, ED did some changes, but not to the sound I was focusing on the whole time. Now when I compare these I can see the (quite noticeable) difference and I can also say this change was for the better. I was just so focused on this other sound that annoys me that my brain refused to listen to other sounds. (dramatization :D)

What is this other sound then I hear you say? Well it is a different loop than the canopy one. I'll try to show it on a spectrum analyzer here. I'll also post the audio clips from the comparison now.

The differences between the original and hotfix.
Taken from Caucasus freeflight with same volume and no A/C inputs. (100% mil)

Without Fix.mp3 With fix.mp3

Edited by Rissala

Well the sound that brought me and some others headaches is gone now with the fix. I described it as a rumble or grumble in a loop that wasn't related to the air over canopy flow rather than the bleed air somehow. With the fix I also can hear the Afterburner again 👍

Well I am not very familiar with spectrum analysis other than some stuff with audacity just for fun. So the only I can see is that left is more yellow and right is more orange at the bottom 😄 

I would not blame ED for this. It can happen 🤷‍♂️ It was just the first time it brought up some unhealthy issues. That was unlucky.

@btd does always a good job with the sounds imo and is very reliable here on the forums. Identified the problem and provided a quick out of order fix. I do not want to flatter too much, but other devs on other games/sims don't do that in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rissala said:

What is this other sound then I hear you say? Well it is a different loop than the canopy one.

The files btd posted are clearly related to the engine noise (F404GE_Amb_in.sdef and F404GE_ThrustNoiseLoop_ln.sdef). I dont know the original version of those files but I would assume he adjusted the gain (these are text files you can open in notepad).

I was hearing a low frequency rumble after the update which these files reduced drastically. I think you also can hear the difference right? Now with the change posted here, I can hear a fainter rumble that seems to be related to airflow / airspeed, but its not loud enough to bother me. Also Its too faint for me to remember if it was present on last update or not.

Only ED would know which files were changed and what to do about it. btd job is not easy since people have multiple configurations and hearing capabilities, and I genuinely appreciate his effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andartu said:

Do you have stable and open beta installed? Cause your path says DCS and not open beta..

Afaik you cannot have both stable and OB installed via steam. The only thing you can do is to switch via mouse click between stable and OB within steam. The point is, Steam does not change the folder name after switching to OB and since you always have to install stable and then switch to OB, the path will never be openbeta in steam as it does not reinstall DCS when switching to OB, but only exchange specific files.

• Like 2

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Andartu said:

Well the sound that brought me and some others headaches is gone now with the fix. I described it as a rumble or grumble in a loop that wasn't related to the air over canopy flow rather than the bleed air somehow. With the fix I also can hear the Afterburner again 👍

Well I am not very familiar with spectrum analysis other than some stuff with audacity just for fun. So the only I can see is that left is more yellow and right is more orange at the bottom 😄 

I would not blame ED for this. It can happen 🤷‍♂️ It was just the first time it brought up some unhealthy issues. That was unlucky.

@btd does always a good job with the sounds imo and is very reliable here on the forums. Identified the problem and provided a quick out of order fix. I do not want to flatter too much, but other devs on other games/sims don't do that in my experience.

Yeah the yellow means more db and blue is less db. So in a nutshell the thing became quieter which is good.

What I hear is this other engine loop sound that changes freq from a medium low to medium every 5 seconds. That sound seems to still be in there.

I get that this is a really small thing and maybe I'm the only one who hears it but here it is: 🙂

I have not been able to un-hear it ever since it got added so listen with caution...

Edited by Rissala

12 minutes ago, Rissala said:

Yeah the yellow means more db and blue is less db. So in a nutshell the thing became quieter which is good.

What I hear is this other engine loop sound that changes freq from a medium low to medium every 5 seconds. That sound seems to still be in there.

I get that this is a really small thing and maybe I'm the only one who hears it but here it is: 🙂

I have not been able to un-hear it ever since it got added so listen with caution...

And to my defense, sometimes you hear it more and sometimes you hear it less...

23 hours ago, Brass2-1 said:

ED crew, this is getting to me as well-it’s causing rough headaches. Perhaps it could be an option box under “Special”?

I would vote for this option, I also like the old sound. 

I could hear the new sound over canopy when on deck too. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

The new one works great with the 'HLH' option on. I don't fly without the helmet option anymore because all the HF energy in a cockpit just kills my hearing.

Many pilots of the WWII severely lost their hearing, sometimes completely. Because their leather helmet did not save much from the sound pressure of the aircraft engines and propeller.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

2 hours ago, btd said:

Many pilots of the WWII severely lost their hearing, sometimes completely. Because their leather helmet did not save much from the sound pressure of the aircraft engines and propeller.

I can imagine. 🙂  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, btd said:

The overall balance of sounds in the cockpit sounds the same, whether or not a helmet is worn. The sound of the air flow in the FA18 is really very loud and with high speeds it partially drowns out engine noise. And the helmet only gives a decrease in volume and add a low-pass filter. If you feel that the overall sound in the cockpit is too loud, you can simply turn down the volume of the cockpit sounds in the audio settings. In this case, the sounds that fall into your headset (radio conversations, for example) will not be reduced.

Hi BTD,

I think your cockpit sound with the hot-fix is superb. I have a full hi-end sound system connected and did some tonal testing. I found that when the bass is turned up, the new canopy wind sound is very rumbly and not realistic . . . . but when the bass is turned down/off so that it nears realistic cockpit sounds that I have heard watching vids of all types of aircraft, the sound is spot on. 

Many virtual aircraft enthusiasts like to hear the prominent rumble or "kicking in" of AB/Reheat. Regrettably, turning up the bass to satisfy this desire is applied across all of the sound envelope. In this case, I don't think that prominent AB/Reheat and "realistic" cockpit sounds can be achieved together in high-end audio systems. 

For me, I choose to adjust my audio to achieve the best in-cockpit sound that I can obtain for my system at the expense of lower frequency sounds.

Well done!

Cats . . . 

Edited by Davee
  • Thanks 1

Now I checked Hear like in Helmet box, much better. 

• Thanks 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]