Dogfighting without head tracker

3 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

Does anyone have any advice for keeping track of a bandit with the POV hat?  I can't seem to move it fast enough to keep a bandit in sight in BFM, and I can't use my TrackIR because it gives me motion sickness.

Afair there are slow and fast camera move bindings. Use the fast ones. To reset the view quickly use center view binding. You can even bind snapviews - it jumps instantly to preprogrammed view angles and recenter as soon as you release the hat to the center.

Another idea. Haven't tested that one but instant view changes usually don't give nausea. You can use the TrackIR response (translations) curves so that the view changes in steps, not linear. So if you move your head enough it changes the view just like snapviews.

obraz.png

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

23 hours ago, Veteran66 said:

Hi

i use the Gladiator nxt GNX Premium Joystick with Ministick

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/gladiator-nxt/

the Ministick work fine with Opentrack 2.3.11 Beta (other Opentrack Versions work not fine)

so you can look arround with the Ministick 🙂

I can already look around with the POV hat on my X-56.  It does have a ministick though, does it work differently from the hat?

2 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

I can already look around with the POV hat on my X-56.  It does have a ministick though, does it work differently from the hat?

I believe the ministick is analog axis while the POV is 8-way hat switch. With analog one you have smoother control and can tune it to your liking.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 7/28/2021 at 5:05 AM, 9thHunt said:

Does anyone have any advice for keeping track of a bandit with the POV hat?  I can't seem to move it fast enough to keep a bandit in sight in BFM, and I can't use my TrackIR because it gives me motion sickness.

I know VR can cause motion sickness, but this is the first time I heard of TrackIR causing motion sickness. I'm kinda curious what happens with the human brain there, as you are still looking at the same screen than you do without using TrackIR. 🤔

Anyways, another alternative to a POV hat would be the padlocking function in DCS, that keeps track of the bandit automatically. Keep in mind though that this is disabled on some (most?) MP servers.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

12 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I know VR can cause motion sickness, but this is the first time I heard of TrackIR causing motion sickness. I'm kinda curious what happens with the human brain there, as you are still looking at the same screen than you do without using TrackIR. 🤔

I think what gets me is the fact that I'm turning my whole head and still trying to focus on the fixed screen with both eyes.  Also, I get carsick really easily.

1 minute ago, 9thHunt said:

I think what gets me is the fact that I'm turning my whole head and still trying to focus on the fixed screen with both eyes.  Also, I get carsick really easily.

I see, thanks!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

10 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

You can try an aggressive profile so you don't have to turn your head that much if that causes the motion sickness.

On the other hand, it moves your view then real quick which can also trigger the motion sickness.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 7/28/2021 at 5:05 AM, 9thHunt said:

Try to reduce the smoothing in trackir. In exchange slow (reduce) the curves.

Sounds counter intuitive, but the lag induced through the smoothing can give the motion sickness, if someone is very sensitive.

Dogfighting without headtracking is and will always be extremely hard - no matter the workaround.

...oh - and make sure that the headtracking settings is as close to "natural" movement as possible. Check the "Trueview" box.

Hope, you get adjusted.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"