DCS: AH-64D Mini-Updates

Wags

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Map used: Upcoming DCS: Sinai.

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll talk about the radar-guided version of the Hellfire missile, the AGM-114L, otherwise called the Lima. Unlike the AGM-114K which is laser-guided and requires a laser designation until impact, the Lima is a much deadlier weapon that is fire-and-forget thanks to the millimeter wave radar seeker in the nose of the missile. This allows rapid engagements and launch-and-leave capability. Just like the Kilo, we can engage the Lima in either LOAL or LOBL modes.

As with the Kilo, it has the same warhead and range. You can also load a maximum of 16 Limas in beast mode. Externally, the Lima can easily be told apart from the Kilo thanks to its white nose cone.

When the Fire Control Radar, or FCR, is later added, the Lima will truly be a wish-you-dead weapon.

We are currently holding at a Battle Position with a hostile tank company and air defense unit off our nose. To configure the aircraft for Lima shots, let’s first do the following:
• I prefer to use the TEDAC, so I’ll set TADS as the sighting system and remove the HDU.
• Arm the weapon systems.
• Action missiles.
• Make sure the missile Type is set to Radio Frequency, or RF.
• From MODE, we can either keep in NORM, or Normal mode, in which the next missile will cycle automatically or MAN, or manual selection.
• The missile power ALL selection allows all radar Hellfires to be powered on, AUTO cycles the missile power between individual missile stations as needed to avoid overheating, and NONE powers them all down.

If LOBL Inhibit is selected, boxed, it prevents the missile from transmitting while on the rail, and would force a LOBL shot to be a LOAL shot. The 2nd Target Inhibit has to do with the FCR that we’ll talk about later.

Missile icons with an inverted chevron symbol on the nose indicate a radar-guided Hellfire, which distinguishes them from the laser-guided Hellfires which are marked by a pair of horizontal lines. Missile icons that are green with an “R” indicate radar Hellfires that have been powered on and are Ready for a target. When they are WAS’ed, they will become solid green. When an icon is white and flashing, it is cued to fire next and ready.

As with the Kilo Hellfires, we can launch either as Lock On Before Launch (LOBL) or Lock On After Launch (LOAL). It’s important to understand that if the target is 2,500 meters or closer, or if the target is moving, LOBL will automatically be used. If the missile cannot attain a lock though, it may revert to LOAL. If the target is over 2,500 meters away and stationary, LOAL will automatically be used. As noted earlier though, we can inhibit LOBL and force LOAL.

LOBL with Limas is much the same as Kilos. In this example we’ll be using the TADS as the sight. Slew the TADS over the desired target and press and hold the 2nd detent of the laser switch, which generates a target location to hand over to the missile. When the TARGET DATA? on the TDU is removed, you no longer need to continue lasing. This indicates that the location of the target has been sent to and stored on the Lima. If you are in constraints, indicated by the large, solid constraint box, launch the missile. Once launched, you can move on to a different target or find cover.

It is worth noting, that once you give a target to the Lima with the TADS, you cannot designate a different target if you decide not to launch. However, you can de-action the missiles and then re-WAS, which erases the target from the missile’s memory, and then designate a new target. 

If, however, the target is outside of 2,500 meters and stationery, you will be forced to LOAL and the related smaller constraints. Once launched, the Lima will fly to that location of the designation and search for the target on its own. Much like an AIM-120 air-to-air missile. Once launched, you no longer need to track the target.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll delve into the ability of the AH-64D to search for, acquire, and track a laser designation that is not from our own aircraft. This could be another aircraft, a UAV, or a Joint Terminal Attack Controller, or JTAC. Laser Spot Tracking, or LST, is a useful feature when you have an offboard designation source at your disposal.

As you might imagine, we first need to determine what laser code the LST will search for. This is done by selecting the WPN page and then CODE sub-page. From there, select the SET LST and pick the channel to search for A to L. Valid LST frequencies range from 1111 to 1788.

LST operations are conducted from the CP/G seat with the right handgrip. Specifically, the Laser Tracker Mode Switch. It has three positions:

When set forward to A for Automatic, commands the TADS to inhibit the LRFD from firing and conducts a 4-bar LST scan along the azimuth of the TADS line of sight. If the set LST code is detected in the scan, the TADS line of sight will slave to it. If the LST track is lost, the TADS will revert to the 4-bar raster scan.

If set to the center, off, position, LST is disabled and the LRFD can fire.

The aft, manual, position enables LST and disables the LRFD while allowing you to manually steer the LST search area. Once a matching LST code is detected, the TADS line of sight will slave to it.

Let’s try this in operation now based on a JTAC designation.

First, I’ll select LST from Code and select channel R, 1788, as my LST channel to search for. Back on the Weapons page, you can see that I have my LST window set as R.

I’ll set my TADS as the sight and place its line of sight in the general area of the target. I’ll then press forward on the Laser Tracker switch to enter automatic mode.

If you select the Slave button, the TADS will be slaved to the acquisition source and cease an LST search or track.

You can use the LST while tracking a target using the IAT and MTT functions, but the LST functions overrides those of the IAT. The TADS will continue to maintain an image auto-track on all primary and secondary MTT tracks while performing LST functions, but if those tracks remain outside the TADS field-of-view for too long, they may be dropped. However, if the LST loses the laser spot it was tracking while in manual mode or the LST is switched to Off, the TADS will slave back to the IAT primary track if it was able to maintain an auto-track on it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Dear all,

In today's Open Beta update, a few additional control options were added that were not listed in the changelog. As we continue to improve the behavior of the TADS, specifically when using Linear Motion Compensation (LMC), we've added a few additional input commands and an additional option under the Special tab.

Four new input commands have been added to the TEDAC right handgrip category to allow the Manual Track (MAN TRK) controller to be moved diagonally to adjust the pitch and yaw of the TADS turret with a single input. For players that are using an 8-way hat switch to control the TADS slew inputs, these four additional commands will allow you use all 8 direction positions of the switch.

image.png

In addition to the new commands above, a slider has been added to the AH-64D options under the Special tab for those users using 4-way or 8-way hat switches to control the TADS slew. When applying a slew input using a hat switch, the MAN TRK controller on the right handgrip will increase in magnitude as the input is held, allowing a short tap to make a small magnitude slew input, and a continuous press to make a large magnitude slew input. By adjusting this slider, you can control the rate that the MAN TRK input magnitude increases, or "ramps up", to further fine-tune your input device as you prefer.

image.png

• Like 23

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 4 months later...
  • ED Team

COMING SOON

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll discuss how to datalink with other AH-64Ds in a mission. This is done over the AH-64D radios and will allow you to send TSD points, tactical reports, or text messages. This is a very powerful tool to coordinate actions.

Let’s first start in the Mission Editor where we can pre-configure our datalink networks. From the Helicopter Group window, the top portion remains unchanged. The bottom portion has new information from the Additional Aircraft Properties and Datalinks tabs.

Along the bottom portion of the Aircraft Additional Properties tab are two new entries for DATALINK. The first is the Datalink Originator ID that distinguishes data sent between networked members. Each AH-64D in mission should have a unique Originator ID. Below that is the Ownship Callsign, and like the Originator ID, this should be unique. We’ll see these later when setting up the network.

Before we discuss the Datalink tab, let’s first look at the Radio Settings tab. This lists each radio in the AH-64D and the preset channel assignments for each. As you can see, each radio can have up to 10 presets.

On the Datalinks tab we have two sub-tabs: Settings and Network.

On the Settings sub-tab, we have 10 Presets, and each can have a unique Unit ID and Callsign. We’ll see these later in the cockpit. The primary frequency assigned to each Preset is defined in the drop down for each. Along the right side are check boxes to determine if the Preset takes part in the datalink network.

The Network sub-tab allows us to view, add, or remove AH-64Ds that will participate in a Preset’s datalink network. As you can see, I currently only have myself, Chaos 11, and my wingman, Chaos 12 assigned to Preset 1, which is for “Gunslinger” battalion. I can assign Presets 1 to 10 from the top row. If I wish to add other AH-64Ds to Preset 1, I can select Preset 1 and add them as a Group or as individual Units.

Note that this datalink is different from the ones used in aircraft like the F-16 and F/A-18, and they cannot exchange data.

We’ll first discuss setting up and editing the datalink through the COM page.

From the left MPD, I’ll select COM and we can see the Presets 1 to 10 listed along the right and left sides of the page with our ownship information in the center that includes the callsign CS11, for Chaos 11 and the datalink originator ID of 1 as we created in the Mission Editor. If I select ORIG ID, you can see that it displays the same information at the top left and top right. If wanted to edit this, I could select either one of these options and enter new designations for my own aircraft with the keyboard unit. 

Back on the main COM page, if I select the first Preset, it then displays additional information regarding the Preset in the center, in this case the radio frequencies used by “Gunslinger” battalion. If wanted to edit this though, I could select PRESET EDIT and select UNIT ID and CALLSIGN and enter new designations with the keyboard unit. I could also select V/UHF, FM, or HF along the top row to edit the frequency data that the Preset will use when tuned to the corresponding radios.

Selecting NET from the bottom row, I can display the aircraft assigned to this Preset’s datalink network. As you can see, this matches what we set up in the Mission Editor, Chaos, and Bootleg flights. To add Saber flight, I simply select Member Directory, and select SR11 and press ADD and the same with SR12. We can now see that all six aircraft are assigned to Preset 1, Gunslinger’s datalink network.

At the top you’ll notice other options. If you select a network member and select Delete, it will remove that aircraft from the selected Preset. Selecting a network member and setting them as a Team member will allow you to send messages from that member through the COM page. If you set them as a Primary member, or PRI, you can send reports over the TSD and FCR page. Note that they are not mutually exclusive.

As mentioned, the Originator ID must be unique for each AH-64D. If you need to, you can edit you own by selecting Originator ID from the bottom of the main COM page as already demonstrated, or by selecting C/S, Callsign, or SUB at the top of the NET and entering a new designation for the network member that you have boxed in the network list.

NOTE 1. Due to complications stemming from our other businesses, we had to adjust datalink terms. In this case, Secure Modem Datalink (SMDL). This is all I will say on the matter. 
NOTE 2. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos. 
NOTE 3. The next AH-64D datalink video will instruct how to transmit and receive datalink text messages, tactical reports, and points.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

The first type of data to discuss is sending and receiving messages through the COM page. Select COM and then SEND from the Message (MSG) options along the bottom. We now have three options, send a text message, send current mission data, or send either Mission 1 or Mission 2 data. 

To send a text message, select TEXT from the top row and then you can choose to send a Mission Planning System, or MPS, preconfigured message, or a FREE text message. To send an MPS message, select the push tile next to the message you wish to send, and then select SEND. It will then send this message to all Team members within the Gunslinger, Preset 1, network over the selected radio on the EUFD, in this case the VHF. To send a free text message, select FREE and you’ll then be able to compose a message of four lines using the keyboard unit. As you might imagine, the TEXT 1 to 4 allows you to compose each line, with a maximum of 44 characters in each line. Once satisfied with your witty message, select SEND to push over the selected radio and team member network as set on the EUFD, box.

If you wish to send over a different radio, use the rocker on the far left to move the box symbol to the radio that you wish to transmit over. Note that you will be listening on all the radios based on the selected frequencies.

If though you send a message and a recipient aircraft’s modem does not acknowledge its reception, you’ll see an XMIT NAK and the transmitting radio message on the EUFD. This means that the transmission was not acknowledged, which may be caused by terrain blocking the line-of-sight to the recipient, or if that recipient isn’t monitoring that frequency for datalink messages.

In addition to sending messages, you can also receive them. When you receive an MPS or FREE message, you’ll see a notification on the EUFD and an REC, or Receive, option will appear next to SEND within the MSG bracket on the COM page. Upon selecting REC on the COM page, the list of received messages is displayed, and you can select them to review them.

Pressing COM, we will select SEND again, but this time select Current Mission. From here, we can select our entire Waypoint and Hazard file, our entire Targets and Threats file, or our entire Control Measures file, Laser Codes, Routes, or All to our Team members on the Gunslinger network over the selected radio, in this case VHF to L1, Preset 1 Gunslinger. For example, if I have numerous Targets created, I can select TGT-THRT from our SEND Current Mission page and press SEND to provide all Target points at once to each Team member within the Gunslinger network.

The first report we’ll discuss is Present Position, or PP. This is the current location of our helicopter and those of our Primary members. As mentioned earlier, this is a static position that is not continually updated. For it to update, you’d need to send a new one that would replace the prior one. To send our PP, we select RPT, or Reports, select PP, and then select SEND to L1 over the VHF.

If wish to request a PP from our Primary members, we select Report, select PP, and at the bottom where is says MSG for Message, toggle that from SEND to Request, or RQST. As before, then press SEND and all Primary members will send you their current PP. 

Before leaving Reports, one last item to note is that we can select our aircraft to automatically reply to the receipt of data by setting REPLY to AUTO, or if we want to reply to it only manually, we can set it to OFF. 

Last, we can also send individual Waypoints, Hazards, Control Measures, or Target-Threat points on our TSD to Primary members. To do so, enter the TSD POINT page, select XMIT, cursor select the point you wish to send, in this case a Control Measure, select which Primary members you wish to send it to, and then press SEND. You can also manually enter the index of the point using the keyboard using the POINT option at L1 instead of selecting it with the cursor.

If we receive a point, we’ll see a white REC on the left side of the TSD. If we select to receive that point from within the REC list, upon which pressing displays point on our TSD.

NOTE 1. As with the real-world AH-64D, the DCS version cannot exchange data with other aircraft like the F-16C, FA-18C, and A-10C.
NOTE 2. From the RPT sub-page of the TSD, you can elect to set the REPLY to automatically (AUTO) send data that is requested of you from other network members, or you can set to OFF and manually reply with the requested data.
NOTE 3. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos. 

• Like 13

• ED Team

COMING SOON

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll discuss the laser warning system and how it warns the crew of threats that are lasing the aircraft.

It can detect laser threats from 360 degrees around aircraft, just like the Radar Warning Receiver. When a laser strikes the laser warning sensors, the laser is categorized as either a rangefinder, a designator, or as beam-riding guidance.

The laser warning system is integrated with the RWR as the combined “RLWR”, or “Radar/Laser Warning System”, and laser threats are displayed as “snowflake” symbols along with the radar symbols on either the TSD page or on the ASE page. When a laser threat is displayed, audio alerts will also warn the crew of the laser threat type and direction, just like the RWR.

• Rangefinders show as a snowflake with a box around it
• Designators show as a snowflake with a box around it and a dashed line to the ownship
• Beam-riders display the same as Designators but with a flashing box

Since the RLWR is limited to just 7 symbols of the highest priority threats, the laser threats will be prioritized along with the radar threats so that the most critical threats are displayed to the crew. This means that if a tank is lasing the aircraft with just a rangefinder while several radar threats are locked on to the ownship or launching missiles at it, the rangefinder may not be displayed if the number of higher priority threats is 7 or more.

A few more points before we see this in action:

• Rangefinders are considered Acquisition-level threats
• Designators are considered Track-level threats
• Beam-riders are considered Launch-level threats

This is how they are prioritized along with the radar threat counterparts.

We also understand that many of you are looking forward to the Fire Control Radar, or FCR, for the AH-64D. This is being done in parallel by our radar team, and they are making great progress. In fact, I’m sure most of you have noticed the previews. While it is not planned for the 2.9 update, it will not be long after it. We will first release it with Ground Target Mode, or GTM, and this will allow you to detect, track, and engage units. It will also tie into datalink capabilities of sending and receiving Priority Fire Zones and No Fire Zones between Primary members.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

NOTE. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos.

In this rather short DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll look at sending and receiving Fuel, Ammo, Rockets, and Missile, or FARM, reports over the datalink to Primary members. If you have not already watched them, I recommend look at the datalink set up and datalink messaging videos. 

Once again, I have Chaos 1-2 joining me to demonstrate this capability.

Let’s first check our datalink Preset by calling up the COM page, then the desired Preset, and then Network. We can see C-2 listed as both a Team member and a Primary member. To exchange FARM reports, we’ll need to make sure he’s set as a Primary.

The next step is to verify that we have the Datalink transmit symbol set to the radio we intend to use to transmit the FARM report. You can see here that the VHF radio has been manually tuned to the same frequency that our wingman is monitoring, signified by “MAN” next to the frequency. However, we can also see that L1 is not displayed next to the VHF radio, meaning the datalink is not capable of transmitting or receiving datalink messages. The datalink will only work if a Preset is tuned.

Back on the COM page, we will ensure that our desired Preset is selected. When a preset is selected, a list of available radios will be displayed along the top of the MPD for us to choose from. I’ll select VHF as the radio I wish to tune to this Preset, and now we have several more options along the bottom of the COM page, allowing us to decide how we will tune this Preset to the radio.

We could choose to place the Preset in the Standby slot of the VHF radio by toggling the TUNE option from Primary to Standby, but for now, I’ll just leave it set to PRI.

All that is left now is to press the button under SC, or Single Channel, to tune the VHF to this frequency. We can now see that the Preset is tuned to the VHF radio, along the Preset callsign of “Hammer” and L1 in the VHF primary slot.

Next, let’s send Chaos 1-2 our FARM report first. Select Reports from the TSD and then select FARM. We can then select our Primary members to send it to, in this case, C-2. Now we just select Send over the VHF to Preset 1. 

We can also of course request FARM reports from Primary members. To do that, select Reports, FARM, and set Message to Request. We then select the Primary members and then select SEND.

Once we receive the data, we can view it on the COORD page. From the COORD page, select FARM along the bottom. We can now view received FARM reports, with each listing left to right their callsign, time of reception, fuel level, gun rounds remaining, rockets remaining, radar-Hellfires remaining, and laser-Hellfires remaining. 

This is the Basic level. Selecting the Type along the bottom, we can view the Primary members expendables like chaff and flares. From left to right: callsign, time of reception, remaining flares, remaining chaff, and other.

If we select Type again, we view more detailed missile data. From left to right: callsign, time of report reception, total number of missiles, remaining radar-Hellfire, remaining SAL1 laser-Hellfire, remaining SAL2 Hellfire, and other. 

If we select Type again and select PP, we can view the 3-dimensional location of our wingman when he sent the FARM report. From left to right: callsign, time of report reception, coordinates, and altitude above sea level. 

Selecting Type again brings us back to the Basic level.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

NOTE. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos.

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll discuss the creation, sending, and receiving of Priority Fire Zones, or PFZs, and No Fire Zones, or NFZs. These allow you to define areas on the TSD to assign targets to Primary members and delineate areas not to engage targets. These zones can be sent over the datalink between Primary members to coordinate fires. 

From the COM page, then Preset 1 Chaos, and finally Network, we can see that we have C-2, or Chaos 1-2, on our Preset 1 as both a Primary and Team member. To exchange Zones, data linked aircraft will need to have a Primary assignment. If you have not already done so, please see the earlier videos on setting up and using the datalink.

I prefer to set my brightness knobs to maximum and the Video knobs to about the nine o’clock position. I’ll display the main TSD page on my left MPD, and from B3 on the right MPD, I’ll select BAM, or Battle Area Management. I’ll set both to Attack phase so that we can see all the BAM data. We’ll first learn how to create PFZs and NFZs. 

From L1, we can elect to create PFZs or NFZs by toggling this push tile. It defaults to PFZ. 

From L2, we can select how we create zones: automatic, manual, and target refence point, or TRP. When AUTO is selected, we first need to select the number of zones that will be created in the polygon we create. In this example, I’ll select 4 from L5. The number of zones will default to the number of aircraft in the flight. To draw the polygon, we can do it either as a box, or BX, or a line, or LN, from L6. Simply move the cursor on the BAM page to where you want to create the box or line and depress the cursor switch. Then, move the cursor to define the box or line segment. Depress the cursor switch again to complete the polygon. Once created, you can see that the polygon was subdivided into four, equally sized zones, in this case, PFZ 1 to 4. Let’s try this as a line now, but we’ll first select Delete from L4 to remove the one we just created. When using line, the polygon is limited to four sides, of which none can cross one another, like an hourglass.

When using the Manual, or MAN, option to create zones, we first define how many zones we wish to manually create from L5. In this example, I’ll create two manual zones. Rather than create a single zone that is then equally divided in automatic option, in manual option, I can manually create unique zones based on the number I defined, two in this case.

The third option is TRP. This will create four, equally divided zones with the size of each zone within the TRP based on the kilometer setting at L5. I can then use the cursor to position the TRP and depress the cursor switch to set it. Once set, each quadrant is automatically assigned a PF.

Pressing L1, we’ll switch from a PFZ to an NFZ, or setting a location, or locations, not to engage targets. As with PFZ, we can elect to draw a polygon using a box or line from L6. Note that it defaults to the next available NFZ number, in this case, NF1. Once drawn, press Accept to save it. We now have No Fire Zone 1, or NF1. To create another, we’ll just select L2 and select the NFZ number to set, in this case, NF2. 

With PFZ selected as the Type, select T4 ASN to assign myself and Primary members PFZs. We can see that we have selections for each of the four PFZs we created, PF1, 2, 3 and 4. To assign a PFZ to myself, I’ll select the PFZ for my ownship, PF1 by default in this case, and select OWN from B6. We can see that PF1 is assigned to OWN now. Note that PFZ assignments are done in sequence, and after a member is assigned to a PFZ it will automatically advance to the next PFZ, allowing you to rapidly assign flight members.

Next in the automatic sequence is PF2, and we’ll assign this to our Primary member C-2. So, with PF2 already selected, select C-2 as the assignment. When we do that, we can see that PF2 is assigned to C-2.

Now, press SEND at R6 to send the PFZ assignment over the datalink to C-2.

To send an NFZ to a Primary member, switch the Type back to NF, select the NFZ, select the Primary member, and then select SEND.

If you wish to send both PFZ and NFZ at the same time, select the Primary member, select XMIT BOTH from B5, and then SEND.

If you are sent a PFZ or NFZ assignment, you’ll receive a white REC, or receive notification on your TSD. By selecting REC and accepting the Zone files, the assignment is then displayed on your TSD.

Note that the entire PFZ or NFZ files are sent between aircraft, which overwrites and updates the existing zones on the TSD when received. Individual zones cannot be transmitted separately. This ensures the zone locations and assignments are synchronized across all aircraft within the flight.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

DCS: AH-64D | Fire Control Radar Introduction

COMING SOON

This is the first of several planned FCR video and is intended as a simple overview.

In this DCS: AH-64D video, I’m going to introduce you to the Fire Control Radar, or FCR, of the Delta. The AN/APG-78 FCR was designed to enhance the target acquisition and engagement process of the AH-64D when faced with large numbers of enemy armor units moving across the battlefield.
More than just a sensor for detecting and engaging targets, the FCR is a target classification and prioritization system that automates and accelerates the process of acquiring targets and determining which of those targets should be engaged to have the maximum effect on the battlefield with the limited number of munitions on board the aircraft. The FCR turns the Delta in a true force multiplier.

It was developed in the 1980s for the Delta as the Airborne Adverse Weather Weapon System, or AAWWS, which was part of the Multi-Stage Improvement Program, or MSIP, to enhance the AH-64A. The AN/APG-78 is a millimeter-wave FCR target acquisition system that also includes a Radar Frequency Interferometer, or RFI. The FCR is housed in a dome located above the main rotor mast. The APG-78 is capable of simultaneously tracking up to 128 targets and engaging up to 16 at once, and an attack can be initiated within 30 seconds. The datalink allows FCR data to be shared with other Deltas and allows them to coordinate attacks using fire zones. 

It’s important to understand that performing a radar scan with the FCR can be thought of as taking a “photograph” of the battlefield. When multiple FCR scans are performed in succession, this is called a “scanburst”, which is like taking several photographs of the battlefield in rapid succession. It is during these photographs that the FCR is determining where the targets are, what targets are moving or stationary, and classifying each target within several target types, such as Tracked vehicles like tanks, Wheeled vehicles like trucks, Air Defense vehicles like a ZSU-23-4, or even fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.

There are two types of scanbursts: a single scanburst and a continuous scanburst. A single scanburst takes several photographs of the battlefield and displays the state of the battlefield on the cockpit displays as a fixed, momentary snapshot in time. A continuous scanburst takes photograph after photograph of the battlefield and continues to update the state of the battlefield on the cockpit displays. Each time a new scanburst is initiated, all FCR data is deleted like throwing away the existing “photographs” and a new series of photographs are taken. This is very different than the air-to-ground radar modes that you may be familiar with like in the F-16 and F/A-18.

When a scanburst is performed, the FCR page will only display the 16 targets that have been determined to be the highest priority. It will never display more than 16 target symbols because the AH-64D can only carry a maximum of 16 Hellfires. These 16 targets on the FCR page can be thought of as a “shoot list”, with a diamond placed around the highest priority, “Next-To-Shoot”, or NTS, target, and an inverted triangle placed around the second highest priority, “Alternate Next-To-Shoot”, target.
The TSD can display more than 16 targets when set to the attack phase, but all low-priority target symbols will be displayed at half the size as the 16 high-priority target symbols.

The C-SCOPE and ZOOM functions on the FCR page are not currently implemented, nor is the LINK function on the Sight-Select switch. These will come later in early access, along with other radar modes.

That’s it for this introduction to the FCR. In the next video, we’ll explore deeper into setting up FCR pages and controls. Thanks for watching.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

In this DCS: AH-64D video, I’ll be going over the controls and pages of the Fire Control Radar, or FCR.

The FCR can be used by the Pilot or the CPG to detect and engage targets; however, it can only be used by one crewmember at any given time. Like the HMD and TADS, the FCR must be selected as the crewmember’s sight before it can be used. Once selected as a sight, the various controls of the FCR become active within that crew station.

FCR controls can be found on the collective Mission Grip in either crew station, or on the left and right TEDAC grips in the CPG crew station. Regardless of whether the FCR is operated from the TEDAC grips or the Collective Mission Grip, the FCR functions for each switch remain the same.

Let’s start by having a look at the relevant controls on the axis controls and collective Mission Grip :

1.      To start off with, the MPD Cursor Controller is not necessarily part of the FCR itself, but these controls will prove very useful for interacting with the FCR page. This is best set as an axis.

2.      The FCR Mode Switch sets the FCR to one of four modes; but for now, we’ll only be using Ground Targeting Mode, or GTM. The other modes are planned for later in early access.

3.      The FCR Scan Size Switch is used to set the total volume of the battlefield that is scanned by the FCR, and this functions similarly to the TADS Field-Of-View switch.

4.      The FCR Scan Switch can be momentarily pressed to either S, for Single, or C, for Continuous.

5.      Then of course the Sight Select Switch is used to select the FCR as the sight. The LINK position of the Sight Select Switch will come later in early access as well.

Now let’s look at the FCR page.

While we are here in the CPG crew station, you can see that the same FCR controls that are on the Mission Grip are split between the two TEDAC grips, with the Sight Select Switch and FCR Scan Size Switch on the right grip; and the FCR Mode Switch and the FCR Scan Switch on the left grip. But again, whether you use the collective grip or the TEDAC grips, the FCR will function the same way.

The first thing we’ll need to do is power the FCR system, which can be performed from the Weapon Utility page, just like powering the TADS; or it can be powered from the FCR Utility page. It doesn’t matter which.

You’ll notice that the FCR option is barriered because the state of the Mast Mounted Assembly, or MMA, is still set to PINNED. If I press that button to toggle the MMA state to NORM, you’ll see that the FCR automatically begins its power-up sequence. The built-in test will go on for approximately 1 minute, but if you like, you can abort this test.

Now that the FCR is powered, I’m going to change selected sight to FCR using the left position of the Sight Select Switch. You’ll notice that when I select FCR as my sight, the left MPD will automatically autopage to the FCR page. You’ll also notice that the CPG’s helmet display changes to TADS video, which will be especially useful when the LINK function is added later in early access. For now, we’ll move the helmet display out of the way.

The two of the three main sections of the FCR page are the Heading Tape along the top and the High Action Display along the bottom, which function identically to those in the IHADSS symbology. The third main section is the FCR display itself, which is a top-down view of the battlefield.

Along either side are some additional FCR controls. The left and right arrows will rotate the FCR one full scan width left or right with each button press. If I were to press the left arrow, you can see a small FCR radome symbol along the bottom of the Heading Tape will move to show the direction to which the FCR scan zone is pointed, even though the FCR display on the MPD itself does not rotate. Additionally, you can also see a solid vertical line in the Field-Of-Regard box that shows which direction the FCR scan zone is pointed.

Alternatively, I can use the MAN TRACK controller on the right TEDAC grip to slew the FCR smoothly left and right, if SLAVE is disabled.

It’s important to note that the TSD also displays the FCR scan zone as it is depicted in real time, which can be easily seen as I slew the FCR scan zone left and right using the controller. This can be useful for orienting yourself to orientation of the FCR page, since the FCR page displays the view as seen from the FCR. Just as the TADS footprint on the TSD can be used to orient either crewmember to the video displayed by the TADS sensor.

Below the left arrow we have the TGT, or Target button, which we will go over in a future video.

Next is the Elevation mode button, which can be used to toggle the FCR elevation control to Manual. When I press this button, it is replaced by two arrows that allow you to manually slew the FCR antenna in the vertical axis, which can be referenced by the FCR elevation scale directly below the bottom arrow.

Alternatively, when the FCR elevation control is set to Manual, I can use the MAN TRACK controller to adjust the FCR antenna elevation as well, in addition to slewing it left and right.

In the bottom right corner, we have the ACQ, or Acquisition, selection menu, which functions the same way as it would on the Weapon or TSD pages.

Finally, we have the C-SCOPE and ZOOM options, which are planned for a future update.

Let’s now have a look at the FCR Utility page again.

Along the left side we have an option to toggle the FCR elevation control between Auto and Manual, which will be necessary to return the FCR elevation back to Automatic.

Another option worth noting is setting a different Priority Scheme between A, B, or C, which is reflected in the High Action Display as well.

We’ll de-select the UTIL option to return to the main FCR page again.

Next, if I press the FCR button along the top of the TEDAC, I can also display the FCR page on the TDU screen. This allows me to use the FCR directly from the TEDAC for targeting, which then frees up my MPDs for other things like the WPN or TSD pages.

I can even interact with the FCR page directly on the TDU by moving my cursor to the FCR display. To do this, I will need to use a “bump” method that would otherwise be used to move the MPD cursor between each MPD. However, if the FCR page is displayed on the TDU, the MPD cursor will move between the MPDs and the TDU in a linear sequence. I apply pressure to the MPD controller to place the cursor along the inside edge of the MPD, release pressure, and then re-apply pressure again and now I have the MPD cursor on the FCR page in the center. I can even interact with the FCR options along the edges, just like the MPDs.

I’m going to ensure my FCR is pointed toward where I want to scan, I am going to adjust my FCR scan size to the area I want to scan, let’s say Medium FOV, and then I can either perform a single scan or a continuous scan. Right now, I’m just going to perform a single scan by momentarily pressing the FCR Scan Switch to the forward “S” position.

As you can see, the FCR will display a “wiper” as it scans the battlefield back and forth. When targets are detected, they are displayed as yellow symbols on the FCR page and on the TSD page.

As targets are displayed, you can see their range using the range arcs and tick marks. Each range arc corresponds with an even range value, 2 kilometers, 4 kilometers, 6 kilometers, and the furthest edge at 8 kilometers. Each tick mark between them represents the odd range values.

The type of symbol displayed by the FCR represents the type of target the FCR has classified it as.

1.      The H-shaped symbols are tracked vehicles like tanks or other armored vehicles.

2.      The circle symbols are wheeled vehicles like trucks or some types of APCs.

3.      The triangle symbols are air defense units like the ZSU-23-4 or SA-8.

4.      The square symbols are an unknown target type.

In addition, there are also unique target symbols for helicopters or fixed-wing aircraft, but we will go over those when the Air Targeting Mode is implemented.

Each of these target symbols may also be solid with a black dot in the center to display that they are moving, or hollow to display that they are a stationary target.

It is worth noting that only moving target symbols will be displayed beyond 6 kilometers.

Two additional symbols are displayed, which are the Next-To-Shoot, or NTS, diamond; and the Alternate Next-To-Shoot triangle. These represent the highest priority target that is detected, and the second highest priority target detected.

When targets are detected, you will also notice the appearance of the total target count in the top right corner; and the NTS button at the top right. We’ll discuss the NTS symbols and the NTS button in the next video.

In the next video, we’ll go over how to set target priorities, how to select different targets for engagement, and how to employ the onboard weapons against FCR targets. Thanks for watching.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

• ED Team

DCS: AH-64D | FCR Prioritization & Weapons Engagement (COMING SOON)

COMING SOON

Correction: Priority Scheme A: Stationary ground targets and airborne targets are prioritized above all others.

AH-64D FCR Fire Zones: https://youtu.be/HJod9HL80Jc?si=Q7tLW...

In this DCS: AH-64D video, I’ll be going over how to configure the Fire Control Radar’s, or FCR, target prioritization and how to engage targets with our onboard weapons using FCR target data.

If you have not already, I strongly suggest you review the earlier videos on creating zones and understanding FCR pages and controls. I’ve included cards and links in the video notes. 

Let’s first talk about target prioritization. In the previous video on FCR pages and controls, we discussed how to control where and when the FCR scans the battlefield. However, as mentioned in the FCR introduction video, the key aspect of the FCR is that it will automatically classify and prioritize all the targets it detects within its scan volume. So, before we initiate a scan, let’s go over the ways that we can set the target priorities for the next scan.

There are two ways to do this. The first is by setting the Priority Scheme on the FCR Utility page to A, B, or C. As mentioned in the previous video, the selected scheme is noted on the HAD
• Priority Scheme A: Stationary ground targets and airborne targets are prioritized above all others.
• Priority Scheme B: Stationary ground targets are prioritized above all others.
• Priority Scheme 😄 Moving ground targets and airborne targets are prioritized above all others.

What this means is that if there are many ground targets on the battlefield, with some moving and some stationary, stationary targets will be prioritized when selecting A or B schemes and moving targets will be prioritized when selecting the C scheme.

The other way to adjust FCR priorities is by activating Fire Zones on the TSD Battle Area Management, or BAM, page. When these zones are activated, they will also appear on the FCR page when a scan is initiated.
• Any targets that are detected within an activated Priority Fire Zone will out-prioritize targets outside the activated Priority Fire Zone.
• Any targets that are detected within an activated No Fire Zone will not be prioritized and excluded from the shoot-list, even if they are within an overlapping PFZ that is also activated.

What this means is that all the targets within an activated PFZ will be ranked using the selected Priority Scheme, A, B, or C. Once all targets within the activated PFZ have been ranked, then any remaining targets that are detected outside of the PFZ will be ranked using the selected Priority Scheme and added to the 16 target “shoot list” below those inside the PFZ.
We’ll look at a practical example of activated PFZ prioritization in a bit.

The bottom line is that there is no way to force the FCR to target a specific enemy vehicle on the battlefield, the system is not designed for that like in the F-16 or F/A-18 like a fixed target trackR; the crew can only configure how the FCR prioritizes the targets using the Priority Scheme or Fire Zones, or by narrowing the FCR scan size to a narrow sector of the battlefield using the FCR controls discussed in video #2.

Engaging a target with the FCR as the selected sight is very straightforward. Whatever target is designated by the Next-To-Shoot (NTS) diamond is the target that will next be engaged. This NTS target Range Source is displayed as the slant range in kilometers from the ownship to the NTS target.

• If missiles are actioned, that target will be handed off to the next AGM-114L radio frequency, or RF, missile.
• If rockets are actioned, the pilot will receive rocket steering to align to that target.
• If the gun is actioned, the gun will be given a computed firing solution to that target.

When an RF missile is fired, the NTS designation diamond will automatically advance to the next target in the 16 target “shoot list”. In other words, the Alternate Next-To-Shoot target will then become the Next-To-Shoot target and the next target in priority will then become the Alternate Next-To-Shoot target, or ANTS, triangle.

Selecting a target on the FCR page with the HOCAS MPD cursor will place that target at the top of the 16 target “shoot list”. However, if NTS (button L1) is pressed, this will advance the NTS designation through the 16 targets in a cyclic and repeating manner.

If the MPD cursor is on the FCR page when an FCR scan is initiated, the MPD cursor will automatically be moved to the NTS button label, allowing the targets to be cycled by pressing Cursor-Enter as soon as the first scan is completed.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png

• ED Team

Backseat FCR and Hellfire

COMING SOON

In this DCS: AH-64D video I’d like to offer an example of using the FCR with radar-guided Hellfire from only the backseat. I understand that most players will primarily be using the AH-64D from just the backseat. This video builds upon the earlier FCR videos like FCR controls. I’ll continue the series of more detailed instructional videos on the FCR, but this video is designed for those of you that simply wish to run-and-gun from the backseat while raining down Hellfire.

NOTE 1. Yes, we plan to allow George to engage with the FCR, but only after we complete FCR development. 

NOTE 2. We will later add LINK mode that will slave the TADS to the FCR NTS.

NOTE 3. We will add the FCR to the reloading pop-up.

NOTE 4. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

In this DCS: AH-64D video, we’ll discuss sending and receiving attack results over the datalink for better coordination between flight members. Once the battle is over, the flight lead can collect BDA Reports, or Battle Damage Assessments. As you probably noticed, each time you fire a missile, a green X appears on the FCR page, and on the TSD page if you have it set to Attack phase. These represent target locations that have been engaged with missiles, which you then review on the TSD SHOT page. It’s important to understand that these reports only indicate that a missile has been fired at a target, it does not indicate if the target was actually destroyed. In the second half of this video, we’ll discuss how to set FCR contacts as Target Points and ways to slave the TSD to an FCR-identified target.

To view my own SHOT file, I’ll press COORD at T5, then press SHOT at T6. Each target location that I shot a missile at will display its corresponding target symbol, the missile type as RF for a radar-guided missile, SAL for a laser-guided missile, the time that I launched the missile, and the coordinates of the target.

Note that these locations are recorded for all missiles, regardless of whether they were radar-guided or laser-guided variants, and regardless of whether I engaged with the FCR or the TADS. However, an Unknown square symbol will always be displayed for any engagements that are performed using the TADS, since only the FCR is able to classify a target type.

If I want to send my SHOT file to another flight member, I can do so on the TSD Report page. I select the main TSD page, select RPT at T1, and select BDA at L1. I have several options to choose from. I can send my own SHOT file to my Primary members by selecting OWN, or I can send ALL SHOT files on board my aircraft. When ALL is selected, the BDA report will include my own SHOT file as well as any other SHOT files that I’ve received from other flight members, allowing me to forward them to other flights as necessary.

Alternatively, I can request a BDA report from my teammate in the other aircraft, which I’ll do by toggling the MSG type from SEND to RQST (Request), select his callsign, and then press SEND. His system will automatically send me the data in reply to my request. Now, you can see additional green X symbols that are displayed in a dim green, which represent the locations that he has engaged.

If I return to the SHOT page, I can now see entries that are labeled as “DL”, for datalink SHOT files, in addition to my own SHOT file entries labeled as “OWN”. If I wanted to delete any SHOT file entries received over the datalink, I can press the DEL button on the left side. But I can’t delete any of my own.

I also want to go over how to store FCR targets as TSD Target points. This can be particularly useful if you intend to gather reconnaissance data on enemy positions which you intend to send to other AH-64D’s or to bring back with you for follow-on missions. Since the FCR data is overwritten after each scan, storing FCR targets in this manner can be a small but crucial capability that can pay dividends for large-scale missions.

NOTE 1. Yes, we plan to allow George to engage with the FCR, but only after we complete FCR development. Also, once the FCR is complete, we will add new datalink functions between aircraft. For now, AH-64D to AH-64D datalink is multiplayer-only.

NOTE 2. We will later add LINK mode that will slave the TADS to the FCR NTS.

NOTE 3. We will add the FCR to the reloading/refueling pop-up. This is currently planned for the January 2024 Open Beta update but is subject to change based on testing.

NOTE 4. As always, these videos provide a preview of an upcoming feature to assist you in understanding a new feature. Later, it is quite possible that the feature will change, and the feature functionality has changed. As much as I’d like to, I lack the time re-record these videos. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

DCS: AH-64D | Target Sharing

For all FCR datalink communications, it will initially be regarding multiplayer. Once the FCR and datalink are final, we’ll then add this for AI Primary members.

So, to start with, let’s get some FCR target data by doing a single scanburst. I’m also going to switch my TSD to Attack phase so that it displays all the targets that I detect, not just the 16 high priority targets and display shot symbols. Now that we have some targets, we can decide how we want to engage them. As seen in my earlier Fire Zones video, see card above, we can use fire zones to separate the battlefield into areas of responsibility for each flight member, so that we don’t waste missiles by shooting at the same target as our teammates.

Now, I can then send these FCR targets to my teammates so that when they unmask, they already know where to focus their sensors within their assigned zone. To do this, I’m going to send an FCR Target Report. I have the TSD on my right MPD, I press the Report, or RPT, button at T1, just as when I would send a Present Position or FARM report in my previous videos. I then press TGT, or Target, at button L2, and I am now presented with some options for what kind of Target report I send.

If I want to just send the 16 high-priority targets from my FCR page, I can select PRI. If I want to send all my FCR targets, I can select ALL. However, if I want to choose the targets I send in the Target report, I de-select PRI and ALL, and then I use my MPD cursor to select each individual target that I want to transmit. When I’m finished, I select the Primary member or members to send to and then press the Send button. Report sent.

I’m going to have one of my colleagues, Chaos 2, send me an FCR Target Report from his FCR. I get the notification on the EUFD along with a ring tone, and so I press the Receive, REC, button on the main TSD page, and then select the FCR Target Report to accept the data.

When I receive this target report, it overwrites all my FCR targets and only shows the targets I received. The FCR can only store one “snapshot” of the battlefield at any given time. So, if I were to do another FCR scan myself, I am now replacing the targets he sent me with a fresh FCR scan.

It’s important to understand that although the FCR Target Report allows you to send a lot of FCR targets to multiple Primary members simultaneously, it cannot be used for direct targeting of the aircraft’s weapons. The Target report could be used for reconnaissance data, to maintain situational awareness, or to cue other aircraft sensors to FCR target locations. “Chaos 2”, go ahead and send me another FCR Target Report.

Another way we can share targets is using the Radio Frequency Handoff, or RFHO, option on the FCR page. It is different from the FCR Target Report in that it sends a single FCR target to a single Primary member. However, the advantage of this type of message is it allows another AH-64D to directly engage that target without having line-of-sight on the target themselves.

Now that I have some targets, I can select which target I want to send to my teammate, Chaos 2, using the MPD cursor or the NTS button on the FCR page. I can then press RFHO button along the right side of the FCR page. A menu displays my available Primary members, and when I select one and press SEND, that single target designated as my Next-To-Shoot is then sent to my colleague in the other AH-64D.

I’ll now have him send an RFHO to me so we can see how this looks on the receiving end. There’s the notification of “RFHO” on the EUFD along with the ring tone. As with received Target Reports, I’ll press the Receive button on the TSD, select the RFHO message to accept it, and now you can see that all my FCR target data is replaced with the new data. However, this data only consists of a single target.

Once I’ve accepted the RFHO, the next step is to select FCR as my sight, even if I’m in an AH-64 without an FCR installed. This allows me to engage this target just as if I used my own FCR to detect it. I action my missiles, which automatically are set to RF type since my sight is now FCR. I make sure I am in launch constraints, and then I fire.

Although RFHOs are used to send a single target to a single Primary member, multiple RFHOs can be sent to each Primary member at any given time. I’ll do a new scan, find multiple targets out there, press RFHO, select my Primary member, and press SEND.

Each time I press the SEND button, the NTS diamond advances to the next target in my shoot list, just as if I were launching the missiles myself. By repeating this sequence in a rapid manner, I can start sending these targets to each aircraft in my flight as I see fit.

Now he’ll send me several RFHOs at once. I press Receive, accept the first RFHO, launch. Press Receive again, accept the next, launch again. And so on. As you can see, this makes several AH-64D’s an even more potent fighting force when just a single FCR aircraft is added to the flight.

• Like 11