Using fuel flow readings as an airspeed indicator

A A ron

I just flew with another F18 pilot on multiplayer. When I asked for a Mach number so I can match his airspeed he gave me fuel flow instead and was continuing to give fuel flow readings throughout the flight. I have never heard of anyone giving fuel flow for an airspeed. I would think giving the Mach no, indicated airspeed, ground airspeed all would be a lot easier. I would think the Mach number is the easiest. Please let me know if I am missing something or if this is a learning experience.

I'm not qualified to answer your specific question, however I thought you might be interested to know that I have just started training with a prominent combat squadron, using T-45 Trainers, & one of the first things they told me was to set the fuel flow indicator for airspeed. I notice that this gauge also happens to be in just about the most prominent position in the cockpit, which I doubt is by accident  So I would say that what you are describing is definitely A Thing!      😀

He didn't know how to manage airspeed, so he didn't feel comfortable giving you a target which he himself doesn't have control over.

But he has confidence he can control the fuel flow to his engines with his throttles. He adjusts them to the fuel flow he wants and leaves them there. He thinks that's good enough for you.

Of course engine power settings (*actual ones* like RPM and EPR) are used for standard configurations during standard flight maneuvers (mostly for approaches) via "pitch and power tables", but at some point some DCS user decided to just set fuel flow, and seems that made up technique is spreading around.

EDIT: As the poster above explains, this "technique" is now being "taught," and that might be the same source.

Edited by randomTOTEN
  • Like 2

FF has a very good correlation to thrust. Between two similar config'd airplanes that should be a decent speed reference. It's not as crazy a technique as it sounds. If one airplane has loads of bombs then it's going to be working harder for the same speed so thrust matching goes out the window. If speed isn't critical setting a FF allows the flight to change speed (climb, descend, turn, etc.) but everyone knows what the score is.

Referencing FF as a speed indication was pretty standard for F-14s, e.g.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

4 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

Of course engine power settings (*actual ones* like RPM and EPR) are used for standard configurations during standard flight maneuvers (mostly for approaches) via "pitch and power tables", but at some point some DCS user decided to just set fuel flow, and seems that made up technique is spreading around.

EDIT: As the poster above explains, this "technique" is now being "taught," and that might be the same source.

FF is actually, really used for power-settings. N1 (or whatever rotor you're tieing the gauge to) will change with outside parameters. EPR is a direct pressure-ratio and hence a very good indication for thrust. But so is FF, as the fuel/ air ratio is pretty fixed. It's similar to giving MAP and RPM readings on piston-bangers.

Rotor-speeds will change across altutudes (temperatures, Mach) and hence aren't really a good indication of airspeed/ power settings.

The only disadvantage of giving "internal" engine parameters (EPR or FF) is that it's hard to manage overtake. Unless you know what airspeed a FF setting at configuration at altitude will give you. That's a matter of experience.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Thanks for the replies everybody. It was an absolute thrilling experience flying multiplayer and I enjoyed it a lot( especially in VR). One thing I was put off a little bit was that this guy I was flying with who was flying flight lead was using his F10 map to find the tanker and to find The F5 aircraft we were hunting. 1st I didn't know how he was able to track the tanker so quickly then I realized he must be using the F10 map.  I personally pretend like the F10 map doesn't exist and I use awacs to find the tanker through a bullseye and find the nearest threats.  So far the most realistic experience I have done so far is The Raven one campaign which is a fantastic campaign. Let me know what your guys and thoughts are on these topics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I probably use the F10 map more than I should. If the map on the screen in the plane was better, maybe that would be reduced but it sucks. And it is on the least readable of the three screens. I have tried several times to use the map on the screen, even hitting pause and flipping back and forth between it and F10. To me it is worthless. In several campaigns I have flown there is a note about finding a tanker. Something about it won't be visible on Tacan until XYZ. I think some of this can be controlled by the campaign 'writer'. I notice that in most all of the missions supplied w/ DCS, my plane shows on the F10 map and it is white. On a lot of campaigns I don't show on the F10. On some my wingman shows but I don't. Lately I have been trying to learn more about the SA and EW pages which have a lot of info. But often the EW page has so many overlapping symbols that they are not readable. And of course that is one page that doesn't have a declutter button. I have printed two pages of EW symbols and their meaning and there are still things showing up that I can't figure out. For now, as long as it isn't colored red, I don't worry about it.