What extras should I bind in the F/A-18?

I just recently started flying the F/A-18 in DCS. I have a TM Warthog Throttle and Stick, and TM TPR Pedals as my main controls. I already have all the HOTAS buttons, switches, and hats on these controls mapped to the most commonly used HOTAS functions for the F/A-18.

But I also have 2 Logitech Saitek flight control panels (the Multi-Panel and the Flight Switch Panel) with a bunch of switches, buttons, wheels, knobs, levers, and dials and I have the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant that I want to use to control additional functions in the aircraft, since I am using my TM Warthog throttle to control thrust. The Bravo throttle has 6 axis controls, 2 levers, 11 buttons, 1 knob, a 6 position dial, and a wheel. I'm using an app and a plug-in called DCS Flight Panels and DC-Bios that enables me to map all of the controls on Logitech Saitek flight control panels to control in the aircraft and the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle appears in the DCS Control settings and can be set up like any flight control. 

I could just randomly select a bunch of functions in the F/A-18 to control with all of the extra physical controls that I have, but I really want to map these extra controls to the most commonly used functions in the F/A-18. For example, right now I have the 6 axis levers bound to control knobs to turn on and control the brightness of all the displays in the F/A-18, but I'm sure there are better uses for these 6 axis levers because once the displays are turned on during cold start, I wont have to mess with them in flight.

I really want to prioritize binding my physical controls to things that I need to control while in flight and especially while engaged with enemies in the air or on the ground. I find that its much easier to take my left hand off my throttle to quickly press a physical button or flip a switch in front of me than it is to take my hand off my stick to grab my mouse and then navigate my mouse to the correct controls in the F/A-18 and then remember whether I need to right click, left click, roll the mouse wheel, or do a combination of these to activate the cockpit function. For now, I am not using VR, so activating physical controls is much easier and faster than activating controls in the cockpit with my mouse. 

So what are some of the controls in the F/A-18 that would you say are most helpful to be bind to physical controls?

I would look for an extra slew controller. I use the little nub on the Warthog throttle for slewing the radar screen and it works fine. I have another slew control on my stick which I use for most all other slewing. One thing I would caution you is your thought that you set display brightness once and done. I change the HUD brightness a lot to account for time of day overall light level changes and also to dim it down on carrier approaches so I can see the carrier through the ICLS cross.   I also change the DDIs some due to them getting almost blanked out by sun shining on them from coming in from over my shoulder vs  them being in a shadow. I would set a pair of switches for the 3 position FLIR switch and the FLIR Arm (I forget it's official name) switch. The arm switch should be super easily visible so you are reminded to turn the dang thing again. That's all I can think of for now but would ask you to post some pics of your setup when you get it worked out.

FLIR - OFF/STBY/ON, RADAR - OFF/STBY/ON, MASTER ARM, definitely LASER ARM (preferably a push button as it resets after firing), something for changing the COMM radio presets.  NVG/HMD brightness.  REFUEL PROBE extend and retract.  BARO pressure setting (for landing) and HOOK.  A-G and A-A mode switches (A-A mainly for shutting it off) -- should be on push button because they will change without a press if you are in A-G and change to A-A for example.  I like the IFEI timer on a button -- I use it if you have AI JTAC lasing and need to make sure you get weapon on target before it's laser times out (5 min from calling it on IIRC).

I "cheat" and have OSB's for waypoint up/down, radar range/bar/AZM/prf on buttons (not completely realistic, but works for me).

I agree with CBStu that you shouldn't overlook the brightness controls.  For sure HUD and preferably both DDI's and nice to have DDI contrast for adjusting POD/MAV view when in IR mode. 

I used to have binded on Warthog throttle:

Landing gear to autopilot 3-position switch
Refuel probe to EAC
Landing hook to RDR ALTM
Eject to atopilot engage/disengage
FCS BIT switch to L/G WRN
APU to APU (just remember to switch it right off, so the auto-off of the AOU work correctly)
Engines crank switch to Engine Motor momentary switches
Master Arm to ENG FUEL FLOW Left
Launch bar to ENG FUEL FLOW Right

I have a lot of "cheat" OSBs and what not bound to my stick.

First is ECM knob as we lack jammer priority functions.

First PB I bind for all displays is PB 18. This allow me access TAC and SUPT formats. (All of these are with modifiers in reference to the Wharthog stick)

Trim left for LDDI menu and right for RDDI menu. This allows me to take advantage of the Castle to no priority accepting display logic. Trim up is LDDI PB 5 to select stores from TAC, Trim down for LDDI PB 4 to select HARM TOO.

Weapons select rocker left right forward and aft are the top row of LDDI PBs to allow A/G weapons selection.

AMPCD PB 18 + 17 is the first and second stage trigger for me. One full press will cue EW as we can't via SCS yet. (We don't know what OFP)

AMPCD PB 10 for SA decanter and HSI DATA. AMPCD PB 8 for scale as TDC slew is too slow to use bump. My SCS (TMS) left and right is next and previous waypoint. I would use a depress for PB 14 to WPDSG.

Those are just a few of the things I have. A good chunk aren't entirely unrealistic.

Mobius708

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded to the Virpil Constellation Alpha Flight Stick with the VPC Mongoose CM2 Base & the VPC Mongoose CM3 Throttle. I know a lot of people rave about the Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle that I was using previously, but they were really giving me fits in DCS. Everyone says how easy to the F/A-18C is to fly in DCS because of it’s fly-by-wire (FBW) and FCS, but I was having a really hard with every just basic flight maneuvers like maintaining constant speed, straight and level flight, level turns, and constant speed/constant rate descents and climbs.

Even landing on-shore was pretty difficult and my landings on the carrier were horrendous and incredibly inconsistent. Successfully completely an air-to-air refueling was totally impossible for me. When setting up my Warthog controls in DCS, I closely followed the most recommended axis tune calibrations, so I was pretty sure that  my issues weren’t the result of not having set up the axis dead zones and curves properly. 

I figured it was just me being a crappy pilot, which really pissed me off, because in real life, I’m a private pilot and I consider myself a pretty darn good one. Granted, flying military aircraft in DCS is an entirely different ball of wax from flying a Cessna 172 in real life or in a sim, with no one shooting at you, always landing on-shore, and never having to conduct an A/A refuel. But I figured that my real-world experience as a private pilot, would at least give me a little leg up in DCS with the basic flight maneuvers.

I also kept hearing that the F/A-18 in DCS is like the Cessna 172 of fighter jets, in terms of it’s great stability and being so easy to fly. On top of all that, I’ve flown a lot of hours in MSFS 2020 and I never had any of the issues with the basic flight maneuvers that I was having in DCS. Although in MSFS, I use a Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant, not the TM Warthog controls.

But after seeing some posts from people with similar issues with the Warthog controls, not just in DCS, but also in other flight sims, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Virpil flight controls, which I had seen nothing but rave reviews of. I didn’t expect to all of sudden become an ace pilot in DCS overnight, but I was at least hoping for a decent amount of improvement in my flying, including my ability to perform basis flight maneuvers, carrier and shore landings, and A/A refuelings. 

Holy cow! The overnight difference was been nothing short of incredible. My flying in the F/A-18 with the Virpil controls is literally night and day, compared to my flying with ] the Warthog controls. I now realize what everyone was talking about in regards to the F/A-18 being so easy to fly and almost flying itself, because of the FCS and FBW. My flying in the F/A-18 with the Warthog controls felt equivalent to flying an unstable, hard to control, pulley & wire, War Bird. Now flying the F/A-18 with the Virpil controls feels like I’m flying an ultra stable, easy to fly Cessna 172. It’s now the F/A-18 that I kept hearing about. Constant speed, straight & level flight is now a piece of cake. I rarely have to touch the controls and when I do, it’s super easy to make ultra-fine adjustments to my power, pitch, speed, and altitude. Establishing constant rate descents, climbs, and turns couldn’t be any easier.

Carrier landings and A/A refuelings are so much easier than they were with the Warthog controls. I’m still far from perfect, but literally overnight by doing nothing but switching from the Warthog controls to the Virpil controls, I have improved my carrier landings and A/A refueling from about a 2 out 10 to a 7 out of 10, and my shore landings and basic flight maneuvers have improved from about a 4 or 5 out of 10 to an 8 or 9 out of 10. I don’t know if the TM Warthog controls are really that bad or if the Virpil controls are really that good, or maybe I my Warthog controls were just a lemon, although the odds of getting a defective stick and throttle are pretty darn slim. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I confirm everything! Virpil is the best product in the consumer market, it's true(in my opinion). TM Warthog is a product of inadequate price and disgusting quality. Sticky buttons, sticky axles (hard to move) and all at such a high price! I was very disappointed! It seemed to me that A2A was completely impossible to carry out, and my landings on the aircraft carrier were terrible. It was enough to replace the Warthog “product” with Virpil, and now the A2A with turbulence and any refueling angles is quite a feasible task. Now I look at the Warthog with bitterness and I don't even know how to sell it now, it will be a shame in front of the buyer, maybe half the price.

Edited by vitdor

You can change to a heavier spring if using an extension, or make it smoother by adding a small extension with the standard spring for greater moment. eBay has lots of mods to the Thrustmaster HOTAS system. If you are not totally satisfied with the Warthog, I am sure you can find a mod to improve it without buying another $500-$600 system.

I was using a Real Simulator force sensitive sidestick and had a lot of fine control issues. I went back to the Warthog stick with a 4X spring an extension and then a short S extension. I mounted the system on the floor of my cockpit. The new system is buttery smooth and cost about $100 for the upgrade.

I have now ordered a radar scanning rheostat mod that mounts to the TM Throttles and allows you to raise and lower the scanning. 

My point is while I am sure the Virpil is an excellent system. Many of us already own a TM system. Why spend so much money to replace what you already have for a small, if any, improvement when a couple mods for your existing stick will give you the same benefit for far less money.