Marianas Miss…?

rkk01

Apologies if this sounds controversial…

… but I can’t see how or why Marianas have been selected for modern / WW2 settings

The modern iteration includes the former wartime US airfields, but these would suggest a post liberation WW2 timeframe, whereas a Japanese occupation period would probably be best??

Now that we have Marianas, it makes sense to back date…

… but I would have thought Henderson / Guadalcanal / Solomons would have been a much more interesting choice

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, rkk01 said:

… but I can’t see how or why Marianas have been selected for modern / WW2 settings

The modern iteration includes the former wartime US airfields, but these would suggest a post liberation WW2 timeframe, whereas a Japanese occupation period would probably be best??

… but I would have thought Henderson / Guadalcanal / Solomons would have been a much more interesting choice

It has been explained in past. Just dive into archive and you will find it somewhere the from 2020, or on Youtube during interview with Wag or Nick.

The modern version does contain rather important US bases in the Pacific. It can be used for training, like NTTR, or for scenario involving defending these bases from enemy air and sea attack. Plus, lots of water for carriers and naval combat (once we have decent ship simulation, that is). I'd say, that's a pretty good pick. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, rkk01 said:

Like The Channel map it’s more of a tech demonstrator than a useable map. At least it’s free and provides a refreshing change of scenery to fly in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Like The Channel map it’s more of a tech demonstrator than a useable map. At least it’s free and provides a refreshing change of scenery to fly in.

No doubt:  the FPS are horrible.

• Like 2

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, rkk01 said:

As others have stated there is a free WWII version in the works. Looking at the frame rate hits in the Mariana's, it looks like Eagle selected it they are trying to render a jungle without melting your computer. The Marianas are mostly ocean with these little specs of land where they can work on the jungles so they can produce other maps- like the Solomons or Indochina  

• Like 2

Don’t get me wrong, Marianas is a beautiful map… I love flying around it and have put together a number of wave hopping Mossie strikes, with the island defended by Antons

I’m just not sure how it’s a good fit in a WW2 frame - best bet would be as Japanese held against US assault

As a tech demo for a tropical island setting - yes I get that, and as with Razbam’s original Falklands concept… the island setting ring-fences the “effort” required

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, rkk01 said:

I’m just not sure how it’s a good fit in a WW2 frame - best bet would be as Japanese held against US assault

and the Marianas Turkey shoot as well as the Marians campaign which happened from June to August 1944

• Like 1