Incorrect radar guided missile HUD symbology

IntAgency

Yup, you´re right. And this has also been reported before. Actually, it has been reported for ages because the problem with the "steering dot" exists since the launch of the F/A-18C module. Will it ever be fixed? Well, a few weeks ago I read that there will be an update to steering dot logic in the F-16C and I believe that this might also somehow affect the F/A-18C implementaion-wise. So, there is certainly some hope that we will finally see a fix for it. Fingers crossed. Maybe BN or 9L might also want to add some new info on this?

If it matters, can confirm, OP is correct.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

I know this has been posted and noted before, but that was back in October. Since October, they have been so many feature, updates and patches on the F-18, but absolutely nothing on one of the most (if not THE MOST) critical user interfaces on the entire jet. 

They are called FIGHTER jets for Christs sake.
No ASE means no fighting, rendering what was advertised and what should be (and is barring this one critical issue) a multi role platform, nothing more than an air to ground aircraft.

As consumers we have paid for a multi role aircraft. Rendering one of its roles near enough useless and not addressing it as a TOP priority whilst continuing to work on miscellaneous features, is borderline offensive to the consumers.

(Quick fix) I understand Devs are busy.. but if the issue cannot be fixed just yet, please return ASE dot to its prior state (prior to 2.8.1) of simply being locked to the centre of the lock-on box. At least this way we have a shoot-cue and air to air missiles work correctly. 

I know you’re not supposed to post about issues that have already been reported/noted but since reporting the issue in October absolutely nothing has been done knows the issue addressed ever again, at this point it’s unacceptable.

• Like 4

Why not just ignore the dot? Having it pegged to the center of the TD box wasn't providing any any relevant information to begin with, so what's the difference?

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

53 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Why not just ignore the dot? Having it pegged to the center of the TD box wasn't providing any any relevant information to begin with, so what's the difference?

When in a dogfight you have to keep eyes on the bandit at all times. The shoot cue gives you a very obvious light and visual cues on the hud or hmcs that allow you to know with confidence without having to look at the hud that your weapon is locked on target. So when you press weapons release your missile will/should guide. Without this feature, I must constantly take my eyes off the bandit and look at the HUD to make sure I can indeed release the weapon. Anyone who has done A/A will tell you the golden rule “lose sight, lose the fight”. Any and every bit of help a non-fighter pilot can get to aid this is extremely welcome. 

Aside from all this home cockpit users like myself rely heavily on systems like this for immersion and simulation purposes.

• Like 1

And again, I ask what benefit is it to put the steering dot locked to the TD box? It would literally be providing you wrong information. If the target is outside the confines of the HUD to the point where you can't see it in your peripheral, the position of the steering dot won't even make a matter until you bring the nose around since you're already off-bore (and if you're close enough for 9X, then the steering dot is practically irrelevant for a HOBS shot).

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 3

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, CPT-Fox said:

I know this has been posted and noted before, but that was back in October. Since October, they have been so many feature, updates and patches on the F-18, but absolutely nothing on one of the most (if not THE MOST) critical user interfaces on the entire jet. 

No ASE means no fighting, rendering what was advertised and what should be (and is barring this one critical issue) a multi role platform, nothing more than an air to ground aircraft.

As consumers we have paid for a multi role aircraft. Rendering one of its roles near enough useless and not addressing it as a TOP priority whilst continuing to work on miscellaneous features, is borderline offensive to the consumers.

(Quick fix) I understand Devs are busy.. but if the issue cannot be fixed just yet, please return ASE dot to its prior state (prior to 2.8.1) of simply being locked to the centre of the lock-on box. At least this way we have a shoot-cue and air to air missiles work correctly. 

I know you’re not supposed to post about issues that have already been reported/noted but since reporting the issue in October absolutely nothing has been done knows the issue addressed ever again, at this point it’s unacceptable.

The ASE dot is not needed for effective A/A engagements in any way, shape or form. Is it nice to have? Sure, but please dont pretend this breaks the jet. A fix will come in good time, take a deep breath, for crying out loud.

• Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• ED Team
4 hours ago, CPT-Fox said:

Appreciate you are frustrated but it is a difficult issue and is being tweaked currently internally. 

Please also remember that early access development is a long process and there can be ups and downs during the development. 

The initial problem was that the ASE dot was reported as not being like it should in real life, and we started to adjust it to try and match the correct behaviour, we will continue to adjust until we are happy. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2