Request navigation help

Talisman_VR

Hi Folks,

I can't get the course deviation indicator (CDI) to work.  How do you activate the CDI.  What am I missing?

I am tuned in to signals with radio on but can't get the CDI to do anything.  Cant find a button to turn it on or off either.  

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

The knob to turn it on is usually the ring around the frequency selector. You can easily see the 3 states/positions from the left seat. 

There are also 3 ways to use it. 

VOR

ILS

NDB homing

So depending on which you use, you have to tune and turn on the corresponding panel. 

Also, you obviously also have to be in range of a station. 

Edit: Here's an example.

VOR 116.9, selected my current radial with the OBS and deviation bar centered.

Screen_211123_234649.png

Turning OBS and you see the deviation bar moving.

Screen_211123_234657.png

Edited by razo+r

16 hours ago, razo+r said:

The knob to turn it on is usually the ring around the frequency selector. You can easily see the 3 states/positions from the left seat. 

There are also 3 ways to use it. 

VOR

ILS

NDB homing

So depending on which you use, you have to tune and turn on the corresponding panel. 

Also, you obviously also have to be in range of a station. 

Edit: Here's an example.

VOR 116.9, selected my current radial with the OBS and deviation bar centered.

Screen_211123_234649.png

Turning OBS and you see the deviation bar moving.

Screen_211123_234657.png

Thank you very much for helping.  But what is 'radial' and what is 'OBS' (acronym for?)?

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

17 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Radial = Which course from the station to you / where you want to be

OBS = Omni Bearing Selector, with which you can select a radial.

Great, thanks.  Sounds like you are putting me on the right track.  But what is the location of this OBS I need to use?  I can't find it mentioned in the various navigation guides out there.  I have been researching this for days and many hours with no joy 😞

Many thanks for help.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  OK, think I have found the OBS on the lower left of the CDI.  I tried to use this before, but it appeared not to do anything.  However, I will try it again.

So the OBS turns on the CDI, yes?

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

36 minutes ago, Talisman_VR said:

Great, thanks.  Sounds like you are putting me on the right track.  But what is the location of this OBS I need to use?  I can't find it mentioned in the various navigation guides out there.  I have been researching this for days and many hours with no joy 😞

Many thanks for help.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  OK, think I have found the OBS on the lower left of the CDI.  I tried to use this before, but it appeared not to do anything.  However, I will try it again.

So the OBS turns on the CDI, yes?

The OBS is the knob at the bottom right of the CDI instrument.

No, the OBS does not turn on the CDI. You select the radial with the OBS.

If you want to turn on the CDI, you have to turn the knob of the corresponding Comm panel to PWR. So either NAV Comm to PWR, VHF Comm to PWR or the FM Comm to Homing for example.

If you do a NDB homing, the OBS will be useless. The deviation needle will always point in the direction of the NDB and move depending on the angle between the nose of your heli and the NDB location.

If you use it with a VOR, you use the OBS to select the radial that you are on or want to be. And depending on that setting and your location, the deviation bar moves.

If you use it with a ILS, the OBS should be useless too, as it will show the angular displacement from the RWY heading (Or that's how it works in theory. Haven't tested it)

Edited by razo+r
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, admiki said:

It seems you don't really know how VOR/ADF navigation works. My advice is to look a few YT videos to grasp principles, actual manipulation is easy.

Mate, I watch them all, save them YT vids, make long notes about them YT vids and try to follow them vids (a,b,c) when flying.  Fly other aircraft and get on OK.  This Huey is another matter.  Sometimes folks make vids and miss the little details that count, or quickly over them and I have to keep re-winding.  I watch 3 vids and no mention of OBS for example; all seems to happen like magic, lol.  I see from the forum I am not the only one.  I only come to forum as last resort after hours of researching myself.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

2 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

Mate, I watch them all, save them YT vids, make long notes about them YT vids and try to follow them vids (a,b,c) when flying.  Fly other aircraft and get on OK.  This Huey is another matter.  Sometimes folks make vids and miss the little details that count, or quickly over them and I have to keep re-winding.  I watch 3 vids and no mention of OBS for example; all seems to happen like magic, lol.  I see from the forum I am not the only one.  I only come to forum as last resort after hours of researching myself.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Didn't mean to offend you. 

Yeah, you probably paid more attention to concept than markings on the buttons. Had a quick scan on YT. Almost every video has OBS visible, if you look for it.

Screenshot (186).png

21 hours ago, admiki said:

Didn't mean to offend you. 

Yeah, you probably paid more attention to concept than markings on the buttons. Had a quick scan on YT. Almost every video has OBS visible, if you look for it.

Screenshot (186).png

Flying Single Player seems better and CDI works, but I am very much into MP and it is MP that I find problems with getting CDI to work.  Perhaps it is something to do with the mission scripting, particularly on MP servers where helicopters are a bit of an afterthought.  Still learning the Huey and enjoying it very much.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

On 11/23/2021 at 9:53 PM, Eugel said:

Hey, I´m having the same problem: 

Could you please check if it works in the "Elbrus Rescue" mission for you ? 

Yes, works great with the Elbrus Rescue mission 🙂

All seems to work well for SP missions, but I am very much into flying on MP servers and that is where I am having problems getting the navigation equipment to work as per training videos.  Perhaps it is something to do with the mission scripting, particularly on MP servers where helicopters are something of an afterthought.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

48 minutes ago, Talisman_VR said:

Flying Single Player seems better and CDI works, but I am very much into MP and it is MP that I find problems with getting CDI to work.  Perhaps it is something to do with the mission scripting, particularly on MP servers where helicopters are a bit of an afterthought.  Still learning the Huey and enjoying it very much.

Happy landings,

Talisman

There is no difference in use between MP and SP. In fact, I just tried it on an aerobatics server and both with VOR and ILS the CDI is alive and doing what it should do.

If you have issues, you can always attach a short track or make a video so we can see where the problem is.

21 hours ago, razo+r said:

There is no difference in use between MP and SP. In fact, I just tried it on an aerobatics server and both with VOR and ILS the CDI is alive and doing what it should do.

If you have issues, you can always attach a short track or make a video so we can see where the problem is.

I have not tried the aerobatics server as I did not think aerobatics was such a thing for the Huey, but I will log on and give the aerobatics server a go in the Huey soon.

Yes of course, MP and SP should work the same in principle in terms of the Huey radios and geographic navigation beacons, etc, but I would have thought that how missions are scripted by the mission maker might give rise to differing circumstances.  

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png