TDC caret symbology

Vlad_Mig

It's telling you the the witdth in altitude of the radar scan at the cursors range.

In this case, at the cursor range part of your scan is looking at the ground. The radar isn't this one thin beam that is perfectly directed. At closer range you do need the antenna at some extremes, those altitude numbers are only part of the picture. It really helps to know the actual antenna elevation angle. In the attack format it is hidden by declutter 2 by default.

43 минуты назад, Hulkbust44 сказал:

It's telling you the the witdth in altitude of the radar scan at the cursors range.

In this case, at the cursor range part of your scan is looking at the ground. The radar isn't this one thin beam that is perfectly directed. At closer range you do need the antenna at some extremes, those altitude numbers are only part of the picture. It really helps to know the actual antenna elevation angle. In the attack format it is hidden by declutter 2 by default.

Yeh, I understand that it's showing the scan border on a particular range. I wanted to understand what it means when it's below 0. So, thank you, now I understand what it is

Values show you radar cone borders at pointed range - at your picture it would be 45-50 nm. Tah means that if you draw a radar cone from your aircraft, at that distance its lower end would be drawn below ground level. Of course radar does not scan below ground and radar signal just hits ground from some distance.

If you are asking why anyone would set their radar below zero-- In the 1980's, I was taught to routinely set my radar to -1 or -2 feet to ensure that my radar coverage is truly at "0" feet.  Variations in the surface (land or sea) as well as variations in the technology (atmospheric or laser) can allow the opposition to sneak past a defender in the "real" world.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i9 10900K (OC to 5.3), 32 GB Fury 3200 MHz, GeFORCE RTX 2080 Ti (OC), NVMe KIOIXA 1.8 TB, Toshiba 1.8 TB (7200), Killer E3000 2.5 GB Ethernet, Realtek 7.1 Sound w/ Logitech 560, Alienware keyboard/mouse, HP Reverb 2, and Thrustmaster Warthog (FA-18C).  Use DCS 2.8 with no mods.

• 2 weeks later...