How to 'cold crank' the engine with new patch

skypickle

The patch for DCS stated:

• New: require engine cold crank before another start after an engine shutdown, otherwise the engine start could fail

How does one cold crank the engine?

There is a toggle next to the throttle that is labeled COLD with three positions:

starter

start

cold

Toggling this switch does not seem to do anything .

I tried it in a cold dark JF17 but I dont hear any starter.

• Like 1

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I can get it to start, for some reason, even if you don't have the ladder you have to request they remove it. And then it seems to start ok. 

To 'cold start' just switch the start switch down to engine, and then attempt to start - the engine will stay cold but you'll see the RPMs go up.

Then, that will finish, and you can switch it back to the middle position and start up. 

If you don't then all that seems to happen is I get a loud bang then the engine stops. I have to start it again anyways.

any engine start fail requires cold crank, it's mentioned in the flight manual we have. we just add such kind of small not quite critical but funny details.

image.png

SW at ENG position, and reproduce normal start procedures, and it will automatically stop after finishing cold crank,

then SW back to neutral pos, and then you can do normal engine start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

38 minutes ago, uboats said:

any engine start fail requires cold crank, it's mentioned in the flight manual we have. we just add such kind of small not quite critical but funny details.

image.png

SW at ENG position, and reproduce normal start procedures, and it will automatically stop after finishing cold crank,

Thanks for the explanation! Keep up the good work! Lovely module 😄

it also seems to start if you do the cold start, and then when it's about 19% you flip that switch to middle position and hold down the start it transitions into warm start.

also, I had to cold start for air restart - not sure if that's correct what needs to be done, but that's what the game requires too.

Edited by Napillo

7小时前,Napillo说:

it also seems to start if you do the cold start, and then when it's about 19% you flip that switch to middle position and hold down the start it transitions into warm start.

also, I had to cold start for air restart - not sure if that's correct what needs to be done, but that's what the game requires too.

I think it's a bit strange. I don't know why the cold crank is needed, maybe to blow away those accumulated unburned fuel in the chamber to avoid a hot start? If so it makes no sense in air restart for the air flow doesn't stop and no fuel should stay in the chamber. Maybe more details about the engine start and ignition are needed. @uboats could we bother you once again?

update:

I tried air restart and find it normal as expected. Start pump off and on or throttle to off, to shut down the engine, then turn on the air start switch(cover protected) and the RPM rises back.

Or wait till the RPM drops to ~15%, then turn on air start switch and dive to see RPM increase and stay at 40.7%, no re-ignition, but then turn off the air start switch off and then on, restart succeeds and no cold crank needed.

And in ground start, cold crank is only needed after an failed or interrupted start, but not needed after a normal shutdown. Maybe the inlet covers are just added to let us forget to remove them and experience the cold crank feature.

Could you confirm if you have too low RPM or air speed to do the air restart, or using the ground start button?

And then another question for uboats, what's the "start pump" and why it is needed for not only the start procedure but also normal powering? Maybe it's actually equal to a main fuel shutdown valve?

Edited by Torbernite

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

12 hours ago, uboats said:

image.png

Hi,

No joy. First of all, a brand new JF-17 does not start for me anymore using the published procedure. Engine spools up to about 25 and then stops with a bang.
Also tried ENG + GND button, engine spools up to 20 and then stops. If I use ENG first, wait until 20, and then switch it to START and press GND, engine spools up to 25 and stops with a bang.
Also tried STARTER position, no success. I tried spooling it up with ENG to 20, and then switching to START without pressing the GND button, nothing happens.

Last but not least, even on a freshly spawned aircraft I tried doing the ENG crank first, letting it spool up to 20 and spool down eventually, then switched to START and pushed GND. The engine spooled up to 25 and then went out with a Bang again.

So, with all that said, and after having read both the official documentation and Chuck's guide, and having tried all the combinations above on an empty mission with just a fresh JF-17 (with fuel) on the map, what is the procedure for the JF-17 start after this patch, step by step please?

Hi,
No joy. First of all, a brand new JF-17 does not start for me anymore using the published procedure. Engine spools up to about 25 and then stops with a bang.
Also tried ENG + GND button, engine spools up to 20 and then stops. If I use ENG first, wait until 20, and then switch it to START and press GND, engine spools up to 25 and stops with a bang.
Also tried STARTER position, no success. I tried spooling it up with ENG to 20, and then switching to START without pressing the GND button, nothing happens.
Last but not least, even on a freshly spawned aircraft I tried doing the ENG crank first, letting it spool up to 20 and spool down eventually, then switched to START and pushed GND. The engine spooled up to 25 and then went out with a Bang again.
So, with all that said, and after having read both the official documentation and Chuck's guide, and having tried all the combinations above on an empty mission with just a fresh JF-17 (with fuel) on the map, what is the procedure for the JF-17 start after this patch, step by step please?

Do you remove the inlet cover? (New procedure for the last patch).

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

18 часов назад, uboats сказал:

image.png

That the point) FAILED START, not for subsequent start after normal shutdown))

Не лазить руками туда, куда не лезет голова © USSR_Rik