Blade damage model is way too forgiving.

DmitriKozlowsky

You sure about that? 
The book Chickenhawk includes escapades including landing in a bamboo covered field, with the main blades cutting down the bamboo.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

If blades strike something, not only blades, but entire hub and transmission usually are destroyed.

I think the dev's would need to see proof as the only Gazelle main rotor strikes I could find involved lose of control/other major damage.

Here a AW139 grazed a cliff face and lost 70-80mm of blade and returned to base with minor vibration.

http://aerossurance.com/helicopters/alps-aw139-sar-blade-strike/

here another AW139 struck tree branches and suffered similar tip damage

https://www.avfoil.com/helicopter/atsb-releases-preliminary-report-into-aw139-main-rotor-blade-strike/

and here a SA350 struck a bush while hover taxiing, and damaged the main rotor tip caps.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/aair/ao-2017-074/

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It totally depends on what kind of resistancy the rotorblades meet with. When the blades of the Red Bull Cobra hit the concrete roof of an airport fuel station in Salzburg back in 2017 the helicopter was practically destroyed. The blades came to an instant stop and the Cobra was virtually torn appart. The transmission box was ripped out of the helicopter and flew in a high arc through the air and as a consequence of that even the tail rotor was ripped off together with the tail boom fin.

If only the tips of the blade touch something the rotor head and drive system might survive.

redbullcobra.jpg

6 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

You sure about that? 
The book Chickenhawk includes escapades including landing in a bamboo covered field, with the main blades cutting down the bamboo.

That is grass. I am talking about blades hitting a building, or ground on over rotation, or light pole. I read 'Chickenhawk' . Great book. Required reading when I was in Reserves . Along with 'Gates Of Fire', 'The Ten Thousand', and 'Team Yankee'.

DCS Gazelle after hitting powerlines, YMMV.

Screen_220213_014842.jpg

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.7.10.19473

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

When I flew the ADF practise mission once, I picked up the squaddie and as I was lifting off my blade tips clipped the nearby powerlines which were out of sight at the time. The helicopter plummeted instantly to Earth, no ability to control anything.

Is that what you wanted?

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The above example of Red Bull Cobra blade strike is kind of damage we should expect. Hit a building with blades IGE in DCS: Gazelle, and all that happens is blade tips shear off and aircraft settles a bit rough on ground but not catastrophically so.  A blade strike in hard object, not grass, should violently and catastrophically disassemble the hub, engine, transmission, and fuselage housing.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Red+Bull+Cobra+hit+the+concrete+roof+of+an+airport+fuel+station+in+Salzburg&&view=detail&mid=479A4C9059893468922A479A4C9059893468922A&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DRed%2BBull%2BCobra%2Bhit%2Bthe%2Bconcrete%2Broof%2Bof%2Ban%2Bairport%2Bfuel%2Bstation%2Bin%2BSalzburg%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Red+Bull+Cobra+hit+the+concrete+roof+of+an+airport+fuel+station+in+Salzburg&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dRed%2bBull%2bCobra%2bhit%2bthe%2bconcrete%2broof%2bof%2ban%2bairport%2bfuel%2bstation%2bin%2bSalzburg%26FORM%3dHDRSC3&view=detail&mid=80C0F30F044E7C8C9D7580C0F30F044E7C8C9D75&rvsmid=9955B413B86A59D7E7D89955B413B86A59D7E7D8&FORM=VDQVAP

Now compare that with attached TRK. Which allowed me to safely shut down, request repair. Of course the helicopter was left in place by repair crew in a way that makes it impossible to start it up , due to interference of lighting pole with rotor. An unrealistic feature of DCS rotors. The kind of damage expected should have destroyed the helicopter. 

Gazelle_blade_strike_lightDamage_repair.trk

On 2/12/2022 at 1:29 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

If blades strike something, not only blades, but entire hub and transmission usually are destroyed. Right now blade tips just shear off, but everything else keeps working. This would appreciated in real world, but simply not so.

Paraphrasing, you say the helicopter is rendered unflyable but you dont think its unflyable enough. That about sum it up?

A blade strike is a dynamic incident. Involved at the moment of contact are the rotor speed, rotor composition (rigidity) & the object being struck relative density & thickness. The results span the spectrum from dents in the leading edge of the rotor (vegetation being struck) to the catastrophic failure of the rotor hub & transmission. To say that if A happens B should be the result is short sighted & frankly wrong. Moreover to try to model that into our sim IMO borders on pedantic.

For me, I am entirely satisfied that if I get to close to something that big fan stops blowing. Asking more from the devs is IMO a waste of valuable time.

FWIW I would like to see the blades a tich more robust. Flying the gazelle I am frequently in the trees hovering very low. If my blade catches the tip of the tree its game over. Im sure the sim cant distinguish between the tip of the tree & its base so likely there is no help coming on that front.  However, hearing a "thwap" as punishment & maybe a bit of vibration would be ideal. 

Core i9-9900KS 5.0GHz | RTX 2080TI | 64GB DDR4 SDRAM at 3200Mhz | 2TB Western NVMe SSD | 4TB Western HDD | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 10 PRO 64 bit