Zooming in on a portion of the cockpit?

This is more of a fundamental question about DCS in general, but I imagine it will be particularly useful for the CGP when in the Apache.

In several of Wags' videos he is zoomed into the TEDAC or MFDs to get a closer look, but still has some head-tracking functionality to look around at the handgrips of the TEDAC, etc.  How is this accomplished in DCS?

I have some "snap views" setup in one of the other modules I like to fly, but when I use RCTL+Num0, and then Num1, Num2, Num3 etc. to switch between the saved snap views, I lose head-tracking functionality from my TrackIR.  How can I keep head-tracking enabled with this new view set as my "centered" POV? 

@Floyd1212 i believe they use a key to pause trackir and then zoom in. i personally have a 'zoom in slow' assigned to the hat switch. but i do not pause trackir. i do have a pause key too. never really use it.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

With TrackIR, i have a dedicated slider as Zoom, and just look where i want and then use the slider to zoom in, and then when i am done i zoom out again.. I don't pause TrackIr while doing so, i have also a dedicated button on my HOTAS for centering the TrackIR, if i get out of balance.

• Like 1

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

EDIT:  Bother, didn't really read the post's message!!!!

Snap views.

They're AWESOME.

Move the screen to be TOTALLY zoomed in to an MFD or "whatever" and save it as a snap number.

Program a macro to 1) activate the snap and then toggle 2) to go back to cockpit view, centre AND reset zoom.

If interested I'll expand on this after work later 🍺

Edited by MrReynolds
  • Thanks 1

Apache 64  Please do.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

21 hours ago, Apache 64 said:

That would be great 👍

Quick (rubbish) unannotated video.

Text from video.

1) Setup your view as you want it to be saved as.  You may need a combination of TrackIR and manual movement.

Make sure TrackIR is off once happy!

2) Press (Number Pad 0) & NP number to quickly snap to the current saved view. This is now stored by DCS. 3) Right Alt + NPzero saves the NEW number view.

My Macro for the joystick.

Right control & NPzero to go to snap views and then 6 for my saved view.

Delays of 100ms, but obviously that's your choice.

I either press it again to go to free view, or I have another macro for Centre TrackIR + view reset Rctrl&NP+ , NP5 , NPenter , NP0.

This simply gives me a total cleared view.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrReynolds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1