George to slave TADS to PHS Issue

dresoccer4

As the title says, I'm having difficulty getting George to slave the TADS to where I'm looking. It's always a few degrees off, which equates to a fairly big distance depending on how far away I am.

As shown in the screenshot below, I'm looking dead center of a group of building with red smoke. After commanding George to slave TADS to my helmet, the TADS moves but is way off in the middle of the woods. Anyone know if this is correct behavior?

1-slave.jpg

1-helmet.jpg

1woods.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

yes your HMD is not Boresighted see picture one low left under P-HMD. it says "IHADS B/S" after a second it will change the line to "required" and after that back to "IHADS B/S".

To do that turn knobs below throttle to max/ or on and then select WPN Page on MFD press L5 for Boresight on MFD press L4 for IHADSS Line up the yellow circles in the circle glass unit above the EUFD and put your p-HMD middle in the middle of those yellow circles then done press either L6 or "Cursor Enter depress" as the curser gets automaticly placed there when pressing L5 for Boresight.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.03.23 - 01.09.47.60.png

Edited by jayst0r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify things a bit, from my understanding George will not slave the TADS to the PHS LOS, although a human CPG can. From your 3rd image it does look like you've got TADS video selected, but I rather suspect it's pointing straight ahead of the aircraft which is its default position.

I get that you're trying to see what he's targeting. When I get him to search an area I'm looking at the TADS video only seems to slew to that location once he's found a target and I've assigned it to him. Otherwise the TADS does not follow my head movement in the back.

With a human CPG, the front-seater is able to select PHS as his ACQ source and hit the slave button, which then causes the TADS to track the pilot's head, but I don't think George has that functionality. In the pic it looks like PHS is the selected ACQ, but unless George slaves the TADS then the video won't match up.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I have this same issue in VR.  Yes, I have properly boresighted.  When I command George to search the dashed cross always appears above and to the left of where I command him to look.  In some of the pancake videos I have watched the dashed cross goes directly to the pilot LOS reticle.  I assume this has something to do with the boresight, and have attempted to Kentucky windage that with limited success.  I am boresighted per the videos, but George isn't in sync.  I have only noticed this in MP, not tested in SP.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frostycab said:

Just to clarify things a bit, from my understanding George will not slave the TADS to the PHS LOS, although a human CPG can. From your 3rd image it does look like you've got TADS video selected, but I rather suspect it's pointing straight ahead of the aircraft which is its default position.

I get that you're trying to see what he's targeting. When I get him to search an area I'm looking at the TADS video only seems to slew to that location once he's found a target and I've assigned it to him. Otherwise the TADS does not follow my head movement in the back.

With a human CPG, the front-seater is able to select PHS as his ACQ source and hit the slave button, which then causes the TADS to track the pilot's head, but I don't think George has that functionality. In the pic it looks like PHS is the selected ACQ, but unless George slaves the TADS then the video won't match up.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

this is what I read in the manual. not sure if it works correctly or is super accurate though.

Up Short:
Commands George to slave TADS to Pilot Helmet Sight (PHS) and search along designated line of sight for targets.

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

41 minutes ago, 01G8R said:

I have this same issue in VR.  Yes, I have properly boresighted.  When I command George to search the dashed cross always appears above and to the left of where I command him to look.  In some of the pancake videos I have watched the dashed cross goes directly to the pilot LOS reticle.  I assume this has something to do with the boresight, and have attempted to Kentucky windage that with limited success.  I am boresighted per the videos, but George isn't in sync.  I have only noticed this in MP, not tested in SP.  

Boresighting in VR has issues due to your two eyes being displaced. Try render to both eyes in special options and boresight to left eye, right eye, and the middle of both open eyes. Only one way will be right.

Just now, Frederf said:

Boresighting in VR has issues due to your two eyes being displaced. Try render to both eyes in special options and boresight to left eye, right eye, and the middle of both open eyes. Only one way will be right.

Thanks.  I saw the bug report after I posted this.

10 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

this is what I read in the manual. not sure if it works correctly or is super accurate though.

Up Short:
Commands George to slave TADS to Pilot Helmet Sight (PHS) and search along designated line of sight for targets.

I’m not entirely sure that”s actually what’s happening in the sim at the moment, though I don’t know if it’s something that WIP or a misleading line in the manual. 
Right now it seems like up-short commands George to search where you direct him to, but it’s as though he searches visually and then slaves TADS to a point once he’s found a target. I don’t believe it’s possible *yet* to just look around with TADS video from the back seat in single player. 

• ED Team

Hi, 

if you are still having issues please attach a short track replay example and we can take a look 

To the original question, it works fine as CP/G, it is not a Pilot function, Only the CP/G can slew the TADS except for NVS.

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, I believe it come from confusion in the wording from the manual.

"Up Short: Commands George to slave TADS to Pilot Helmet Sight (PHS) and search along designated line of sight for targets."

To make it less ambiguous and open to misinterpretation I'd say something like:

"Commands George to search along pilot's line of sight and then slave TADS to any targets if found."

Edited by frostycab
  • Like 1