FLIR update

Fulcrumkiller31

Has anybody seen an update for the FLIR implementation on the F16? Seems radio silent, I understand these things take time but the threads were locked almost immediately and there have been no updates since. 

Also: HUGE shout out to the ED team on the last update, Apache is simply breathtaking, Performance didn't take a hit, and the FM changes are wonderful. 

Edited by Fulcrumkiller31

Computer: I7 12700K OC 5.0 All Cores, EVGA 3070TI FTW 3, MSI Tomahawk Z690 DDR4 WIFI, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 3600 MHz, M.2 NVME 3TB

Gear: Virpil T-50CM2 Mongoose Stick, CM3 Base, CM3 Throttle, Logitech Pedals, HP Reverb G2

Modules: F-15E, F-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C II, AV-8B, M-2000C, Mirage F1, F-5, AH-64D, MI-24, KA-50, Nevada TTR, Syria, Persian Gulf, Falklands, Sinai, Afghanistan 

41 minutes ago, TobiasA said:

It's better than before. BHOT and WHOT are swapped. We are slowly getting there though, and I appreciate the update even if there is still room for further improvement.

Its not better than before, there is still no heat plume like in the AH64. Its more than them just being swamped. the Hornet is even worse.

Computer: I7 12700K OC 5.0 All Cores, EVGA 3070TI FTW 3, MSI Tomahawk Z690 DDR4 WIFI, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 3600 MHz, M.2 NVME 3TB

Gear: Virpil T-50CM2 Mongoose Stick, CM3 Base, CM3 Throttle, Logitech Pedals, HP Reverb G2

Modules: F-15E, F-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C II, AV-8B, M-2000C, Mirage F1, F-5, AH-64D, MI-24, KA-50, Nevada TTR, Syria, Persian Gulf, Falklands, Sinai, Afghanistan 

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Fulcrumkiller31:

Its not better than before, there is still no heat plume like in the AH64. Its more than them just being swamped. the Hornet is even worse.

But it was worse before, we can at least use auto gain control now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, x2nax said:

Still no change after today's update? 

The reversed polarity has been changed, but it still looks to be using the old FLIR system

NineLine said the new system was implemented "partially" but not quite sure what he means by that.

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Just as a comparison, using a T-55A and BTR-80, images taken on the Caucasus, default date, weather and temperature, at midnight:

AV-8B N/A, WHOT:

p0hTuRj.png

F-16CM, WHOT, Night:

CFhOSW9.png

Notice how the colour distribution of the vehicles seem inverted, particularly for the BTR-80 - in the AV-8B the lower half is darker than the upper, whereas in the F-16CM, the lower half is lighter than the upper.

AV-8B N/A, BHOT, Night:

sfjjbkx.png

F-16CM, BHOT, Night:

yCkRpsD.png

Similar thing going on, but if BHOT wasn't displayed, I'd confuse this for a TV image.

And just to compare FLIR and TV in the F-16CM:

TV:

otQyGg9.png

BHOT:

nqzfBR0.png

They look essentially identical, just more saturated, I reckon if I played with the gain and the contrast, they'd end up looking basically identical.

EDIT: Had a play with the brightness and contrast:

TV:

lgOh4b1.png

BHOT:

QXK5mkZ.png

Apart from the vehicles looking slightly brighter (or at least the brighter elements looking brighter), there isn't much difference.

So yeah, looks like (as far as this example shows at least, and please bear in mind that this is just one example), that just the polarity was fixed.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting, added 2 new images
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@Northstar98Have you given the vehicles time to warm up? And are the vehicles moving? If you freshly spawn in a mission vehicles will start cold and require a few mins to warm up to show properly in FLIR as far as I have seen in testing. So make sure that the vehicles are moving or at least engine running and that you're not just taking these pics from an air start a short time after starting the mission. 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:54 PM, Deano87 said:

@Northstar98Have you given the vehicles time to warm up? And are the vehicles moving? If you freshly spawn in a mission vehicles will start cold and require a few mins to warm up to show properly in FLIR as far as I have seen in testing. So make sure that the vehicles are moving or at least engine running and that you're not just taking these pics from an air start a short time after starting the mission. 

That should only affect relative brightness of the vehicles compared to the background, and how hot the running gear appears - all the other points remain, and it's absolutely fine for the AV-8B.

I'll repeat the test again though with moving vehicles:

EDIT: Here's some test screenshots, all I did differently is that I let the vehicles hold for a minute, during which I take a screenshot (~30 seconds into the mission), and then I take another screenshot a little after 5 minutes after they started moving (they're set to run a large racetrack at 35 kph).

Default date and weather, at midnight. Vehicles are both the same (a T-55A and a BTR-80).

Stationary vehicles, AV-8B:

rC9xInu.png

Vehicles after >5 minutes of driving, AV-8B:

IvNFu2y.png

Overall vehicle, engine area/deck and running gear definitely appear noticeably hotter, for both vehicles.

Stationary vehicles, F-16CM:

mrrmlvD.png

Notice that the running gear of both vehicles appears hot compared to the rest of the vehicle, whereas for the Harrier they appeared colder (definitely noticeable for the T-55A).

The vehicles also appear noticeably cooler compared to the Harrier - I think it's pretty clear we've got the old FLIR textures in this case.

Vehicles after >5 minutes of driving, F-16CM:

80y1w2J.png

Personally, I can't see any difference between how they appeared when stationary, and how they appear here; the overal appearance and distribution hasn't changed. This is a stark contrast with the Harrier, where's there's a clear difference in how they appear when stationary, and how they appear after 5 minutes of driving.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 5

System:

Try hitting AGC on the left hand side of the MFD to put it in manual gain control and play with the gain till you get something better. 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

9 hours ago, Deano87 said:

Try hitting AGC on the left hand side of the MFD to put it in manual gain control and play with the gain till you get something better. 

You might be misunderstanding what I'm trying to achieve here.

All I'm trying to do is compare modules that have the new FLIR implemented and those that allegedly have it "partially" implemented. I can still see the vehicles on the F-16, though they're obviously nothing like the new FLIR. I also wanted to avoid messing around with the gain, contrast and brightness (just because it adds another variable, though I guess they'll be different across each module), and just take what both look like at their default state (just zoomed in).

So far, from these (admittedly) very limited tests:

• The vehicles don't use the new FLIR textures.
  • The textures they do use aren't dynamic - vehicles don't get hotter after driving, whereas they do for modules equipped with the new FLIR.
  • In some instances, the FLIR looks like TV, echoing issues seen in the 23rd of March update (only now for BHOT rather than WHOT, as the polarity was inverted).

So I'm wondering what elements of the new FLIR are actually present, if any.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

System: