Tracking Target manually in FLIR-Mode

Simpit

Hi community,

hope I can discribe the problem as simple as posible:

If I track the Target Designator (TD) manually in CCRP Release Mode I try to set the designator as exaxt as possible on the target for example in a distance of 5 miles. But after releasing the GBU and as closer I fly towards the target mostly it´s necessary to correct the position of the target designator. So I tried to track the target by changing the position of the TD by TDC while the GBU is falling. But that seems not to be possible cause the TD jumps far away from the target.

Note: Long ago in the F-16 sim "F4 Falcon" it was possible to correct the TD up to impact of the bomb by slewing the TD .

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

There's another thing I've noticed with ATFLIR (possibly also with Litening):  If you have your waypoint designated as target with WPDSG button, then change your designation to 'area' or 'point track' without pressing TDC on your target first to re-designate as INR (inertial track), then the FLIR will drift off rapidly (especially when zoomed in).

If your designation is a waypoint, the set elevation is critical. If it's not, your FLIR will aim either below ground or up in the air. From a distance it may look lined up on your target but as you get closer the aimpoint will shift to set elevation, below or above the target.

So... using ATFLIR locked on a waypoint:  If you decide to shift your laser aim point, press TDC on target (your TDC priority should already be on FLIR). You'll notice 'INR' at the bottom of FLIR page. Then you should be able to move the aim point without any drift, before release or after (with laser firing).

EDIT:  Sometimes, after pressing TDC on FLIR, the "INR' will not show until slewing is initiated. That's when the drift will also occur. If you see 'INR' before slewing is initiated, the FLIR should work fine.

Edited by Gripes323
  • Thanks 1

Am 28.3.2022 um 23:31 schrieb Gripes323:

There's another thing I've noticed with ATFLIR (possibly also with Litening):  If you have your waypoint designated as target with WPDSG button, then change your designation to 'area' or 'point track' without pressing TDC on your target first to re-designate as INR (inertial track), then the FLIR will drift off rapidly (especially when zoomed in).

If your designation is a waypoint, the set elevation is critical. If it's not, your FLIR will aim either below ground or up in the air. From a distance it may look lined up on your target but as you get closer the aimpoint will shift to set elevation, below or above the target.

So... using ATFLIR locked on a waypoint:  If you decide to shift your laser aim point, press TDC on target (your TDC priority should already be on FLIR). You'll notice 'INR' at the bottom of FLIR page. Then you should be able to move the aim point without any drift, before release or after (with laser firing).

Sorry, but not easy to understand. How to activate INR? Via Sensor control switch fwd/aft?

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

14 hours ago, Simpit said:

Sorry, but not easy to understand. How to activate INR? Via Sensor control switch fwd/aft?

What Tholozor said above but... in case you have your target colocated with one of your waypoints and designated using WPDSG, your FLIR becomes slaved to designation. Your FLIR is not 'driving' it until you press TDC on your target, on FLIR screen. Then, the FLIR takes over, in INR. You can change the FLIR tracking modes by pressing SCS toward the FLIR.

Another situation where you might see the drift is after WPTDSG and going to FLIR. When you press TDC on FLIR and no 'INR' is visible, any attempt to slew will cause drift. You can stop in by switching to 'SCENE'. Then it works fine.  Just some of the problems you can encounter... 

Post a short vid so we can see what's going on.

Edited by Gripes323

I made a short vid showing one of the situations I was talking about. After pressing TDC on FLIR, I tried slewing, without "INR' showing at the bottom of the FLIR. The FLIR drifted off. I stopped the drift by going to 'SCENE' then bringing the aimpoint back on target.

2 hours ago, CBStu said:

I 'think' I am following this discussion, but I don't understand part of it. If you already have your target set by WPTDSG why would you be using the FLIR at the same time?

In very unlikely situations where things change and designations need to be refined/targets VID'd/re-prioritized, etc. 😉