The F-35 Thread

Groove

Thanks to reality, you're not as sarcastic as you might think you are.

Yes, and why would the USAF need the F-117 anymore in the first place? After all, they have a perfectly good, fully operational, always-on-call, extremely reliable, stealth fighter replacement already in service! (*cough*)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude; allow me to show you this:

Why are they still flying if it is retired? I don't know; I don't know what they are doing with it; maybe they are testing stuff; maybe they are doing secret ops with it; remember that secret helicopter used to kill bin laden? nobody knew of its existence until that day, then, why it is so hard to believe that the f-117 is not totally retired as they told us? If it was at to me, I would do the same; why not keep using a machine that is still useful for my no so public affairs? and if it is not grounded like my new replacements.

Don't you think that it would be dump to scrap the f-117 right now? I believe that they are not in official service; but instead; they are kept in flying conditions in case they are needed; or at lest some of then. I don't buy that idea that the thing is already obsolete; It may be if you compare it with an f-35 or f-22 but... those are not flying you know, also, not everybody in the world is using high end last generation radar equipment (I know someone is going to say something about the f-117 being shoot down before) That jet can be used for some black ops you know.

Edited by mikoyan

mikoyan,

How do we know when that video was taken? AFAIK, they are retired, I was part of the 9th AMU when we retired them.

stealthscrap1_01.jpg

5_YaHl5hANU&feature

P.S.

The USAF has retired aircraft before that had no replacement and with unmatchable capabilities because of money, for example SR-71, which still holds several records if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

First production F-35B makes first flight.

http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20111027_FIRSTPRODUCTION.pdf

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Thanks to reality, you're not as sarcastic as you might think you are.

Yea, you're totally right- like the F-22 that has been grounded how many times in the last year? It's at least twice now.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I am totally right. It is a far smaller problem than you think it to be :)

Yea, you're totally right- like the F-22 that has been grounded how many times in the last year? It's at least twice now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They grounded the F-22 for an oxygen bottle failure, which was only replicated in one specific hangar in Alaska. The other grounding was the F-35 fleet earlier this year with problems stemming from the onboard generators. The F-35B was delayed for a few months earlier this year while we figured out how to solve the cracking issue with the engine cover located behind the cockpit..

But as far as taking any particular aircraft out of service due to issues with the airframes is ridiculous. Out of all the people here, I at the very least would know.

By the way, we now have 2 F-22's left on the final assembly line. If I remember right, the last one is due to be delivered before March.

I read somewhere lockheed is doing R&D on its own to propose an updated F-22 for later production (in a bid to keep cover any PAK-FA and J-20 proliferation) using the same F-35 fuselage skin inplace of the old coated skin which uses corrosive and toxic compounds, thus reducing maintenance and corrosion issues. I guess that would also allow for higher operational maximum speed. I will pay attention to this, and get back to it as soon as I hear more.

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I read somewhere lockheed is doing R&D on its own to propose an updated F-22 for later production (in a bid to keep cover any PAK-FA and J-20 proliferation) using the same F-35 fuselage skin inplace of the old coated skin which uses corrosive and toxic compounds, thus reducing maintenance and corrosion issues. I guess that would also allow for higher operational maximum speed. I will pay attention to this, and get back to it as soon as I hear more.

I also heard the US Marine Corps is interested in buying some F-22s as well. Would be interesting to see some F-22 naval variants out floating around...

I am totally right. It is a far smaller problem than you think it to be :)

Well that's good news. So just so long as our F-22s don't have to fly over the International Date Line, we're OK! ;)

Does bring up an interesting tactic. No need for super advanced technology to defeat the F-22. If, say, war breaks out with China, all the Chinese have to do is pass a law stating that the entire country of China is behind or ahead of the rest of the world by 1 day, and their borders become impervious to the F-22!

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Lua scripts and mods:

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Well that's good news. So just so long as our F-22s don't have to fly over the International Date Line, we're OK! ;)

Does bring up an interesting tactic. No need for super advanced technology to defeat the F-22. If, say, war breaks out with China, all the Chinese have to do is pass a law stating that the entire country of China is behind or ahead of the rest of the world by 1 day, and their borders become impervious to the F-22!

Your right F-22 can't never, ever cross the international date line...

click on photo to enlarge

100526-F-4880G-081.JPG

Shogun-F-22 Raptors arrive from Holloman AFB,NM

A dedicated crew chief marshals in an F-22 Raptor, May 27 at Kadena Air Base, Japan. The aircraft are deployed from Holloman Air Force Base, NM as part of an air expeditionary force rotation. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Amanda Grabiec)

100526-F-4880G-084.JPG

F-22 Raptors park on the ramp after landing at Kadena Air Base, Japan, May 27. The aircraft are deployed from Holloman Air Force Base, NM as part of an air expeditionary force rotation. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Amanda Grabiec) I'm sure the F-35 is the same way :D

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Back on subject......

Australia launches F-35 review

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8075152&c=AIR&s=TOP

100526-F-4880G-081.JPG

A dedicated crew chief marshals in an F-22 Raptor, May 27 at Kadena Air Base, Japan. The aircraft are deployed from Holloman Air Force Base, NM as part of an air expeditionary force rotation. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Amanda Grabiec)

100526-F-4880G-084.JPG

F-22 Raptors park on the ramp after landing at Kadena Air Base, Japan, May 27. The aircraft are deployed from Holloman Air Force Base, NM as part of an air expeditionary force rotation. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Amanda Grabiec) I'm sure the F-35 is the same way :D

Jeez, man, I was joking :) Did you really think that I thought that the Chinese could stop the F-22 by passing a law? :smilewink:

Lua scripts and mods:

Well that's good news. So just so long as our F-22s don't have to fly over the International Date Line, we're OK! ;)...

100526-F-4880G-081.JPG

100526-F-4880G-084.JPG

Jeez, man, I was joking :) Did you really think that I thought that the Chinese could stop the F-22 by passing a law? :smilewink:

Sorry, I'm completely lost. I did not say anything about your comment on Chinese laws. You did mention that F-22 could not cross international date line, hence I posted photos found in Kadena.af.mil showing the F-22 after crossing the international date line. I guess, to answer your question, I'm aware that China's domestic laws do not directly affect USAF movement nor weapons deployment to Japan.

The F-22 only had one incident were the international date line affected it's computers, which has been fix since 2007, right after it originally happen, on the initial deployment/AEF rotation of an F-22 unit. The F-22 has deployed several time since then successfully AFAIK.

F-22 deployments

Anyway

I wonder if they are controlling the sequence for the doors closing from the ground of if the pilot is controlling this from the pit. It seem like a long time elapses before some of the doors fully close for it to be automatic. i guess they are testing aircraft behavior as each door closes.

Obviously a company selling it's product but I think it got some cool aircraft/cockpit shots

To whom it may concern,

Sorry, I'm completely lost. I did not say anything about your comment on Chinese laws. You did mention that F-22 could not cross international date line, hence I posted photos found in Kadena.af.mil showing the F-22 after crossing the international date line. I guess, to answer your question, I'm aware that China's domestic laws do not directly affect USAF movement nor weapons deployment to Japan.

The F-22 only had one incident were the international date line affected it's computers, which has been fix since 2007, right after it originally happen, on the initial deployment/AEF rotation of an F-22 unit. The F-22 has deployed several time since then successfully AFAIK.

F-22 deployments

Sorry for the confusion then, mvsgas. The ENTIRE post I originally made about the F-22 not being able to cross the international date line was supposed to be sarcastic/funny. Obviously, only I got the joke :D And I am very well aware that they fixed that software glitch pronto. No reason to go to great lengths explaining why F-22s have no problem crossing the IDL, because I knew it was wrong when I posted, that was part of the apparently poor joke I made (hey, it was funny to me, but I have an odd sense of humor) ;)

On the serious side of things, yes, I know this is the F-35 not the F-22 thread, but do you know how the "teething problems" of the F-22 (and, more on subject, the F-35 too if enough data has been collected yet) compare so far to other newly-introduced fighters of the past? Are they more or less glitchy? The F-22 seems to have acquired the reputation for being glitchy, but I wonder now if it's just because it's been so long since we introduced a completely brand-new fighter we have forgotten how glitchy they can be, and/or because due to the astronomical cost of the jet, people make a bigger deal over it when it screws up?

Edited by Speed

Lua scripts and mods:

Sorry for the confusion then, mvsgas. The ENTIRE post I originally made about the F-22 not being able to cross the international date line was supposed to be sarcastic/funny. Obviously, only I got the joke :D And I am very well aware that they fixed that software glitch pronto. No reason to go to great lengths explaining why F-22s have no problem crossing the IDL, because I knew it was wrong when I posted, that was part of the apparently poor joke I made (hey, it was funny to me, but I have an odd sense of humor) ;)

On the serious side of things, yes, I know this is the F-35 not the F-22 thread, but do you know how the "teething problems" of the F-22 (and, more on subject, the F-35 too if enough data has been collected yet) compare so far to other newly-introduced fighters of the past? Are they more or less glitchy? The F-22 seems to have acquired the reputation for being glitchy, but I wonder now if it's just because it's been so long since we introduced a completely brand-new fighter we have forgotten how glitchy they can be, and/or because due to the astronomical cost of the jet, people make a bigger deal over it when it screws up?

Sorry I did not get the sarcasm/joke, thanks for the explanation. I wasn't trying to correct, I'm just a geek talking about aircraft.

Many aircraft in the past had developing problems. IIRC, the F-100 were grounded 3 month after entering active duty. F-104 A and B crash several times and all the pilots died, even when attempting to eject with the downward ejection system. F-15 had many delay and cost overruns. B-1A was cancel for the same reasons. F-111 (which would be the more comparable project since it aimed to achieve the same as the F-35 is doing now) had just as many if not more development problems. I know F-35 is far from perfect, cost overruns, development problems, etc, same with F-22, but how different are there from other aircraft?

Both have been in development for many year (X-35 won the competition in 2001 IIRC), but that seems to be the only major difference on their development that I can see.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

First F-35C catapult launch at NAS Patuxent River

http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20111108_CATTESTS.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

First F-35B for the UK completes assembly.

http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20111122_BK1ANDDONE.pdf

• Like 1