DCS World Map Suggestion -- Island Chain Map

On 4/15/2022 at 7:05 AM, LooseSeal said:

Unpopular opinion to follow: I'm not really sure why we need more maps at this stage, if I'm honest. In terms of single-player stuff we barely have much content as it is for Syria/Marianas. We also know absolutely nothing as yet about Afghanistan, which I assume is still coming later this year.

Even with a global map high detailed maps will continue to be needed to add detail to areas where conflicts have occurred. One of MS2020 major flaws is that it lacks detail at low altitudes. Which is okay for a GA sim where detailed maps are so far implemented only in major city destinations to make the arrivals and departures more realistic.  But in a combat sim like DCS whole detailed regions are needed to make combat missions realistic. Especially now with the availability of more helicopters that mostly operate at low altitudes. 

And like you mentioned a Baltic map is one of those maps that is often requested that will need to be done sometime in the future. So why hold off progress of detailed maps that will still be needed anyways. It would be nice to have as many more detailed maps as possible by the time the global map is implemented to make the experience that much better for everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evoman said:

Even with a global map high detailed maps will continue to be needed to add detail to areas where conflicts have occurred.

So why hold off progress of detailed maps that will still be needed anyways. It would be nice to have as many more detailed maps as possible by the time the global map is implemented to make the experience that much better for everyone.

Oh no, you misunderstand. I'm not against new maps at all. I'm just more in favour of ED's artists being used for the moment to improve other crucial areas of the sim - such as creating new user-placeable assets. Currently, the range of buildings we have available in the mission editor is... not good. It doesn't create a good image for new users when they see things that look like they were designed in the late 90s.

If, however, there is a separate team of artists for maps, and another for assets - then my opinion is null and void. Having the best of both worlds would be great.

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Since a global map in DCS world is likely years away, I looked for places for inspiration.  I select obscure locations, which could be used for missions or campaigns.  The Wiki map I included in my initial forum post shows how either land based aircraft and/or carrier based aircraft could have a mission or campaign.  Yet, I defer to the more knowledgeable people that know how to create navigable maps to for virtual pilots to use them.  

MFT

Edited by Mike Force Team
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Northstar98 said:

Yes, and all of this was covered more-or-less.

Well, tbf, you did describe it as an aspiration rather than something 'in the works', when in fact it is in the works but yes, it's going to be a long while yet.

I guess ts me and my semantics when it comes to flight sims and the number of things mooted as being "in the works" before being black holed. Until it arrives or at least appears more than once every 3 years in a newsletter or random interview, its an aspiration. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Just now, Boosterdog said:

Until it arrives or at least appears more than once every 3 years in a newsletter or random interview, its an aspiration. 

I like optimists 🙂

To me it becomes an aspiration when it's in the release for one full version. Before that it's either "experimental", or a bug. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:42 AM, LooseSeal said:

Oh no, you misunderstand. I'm not against new maps at all. I'm just more in favour of ED's artists being used for the moment to improve other crucial areas of the sim - such as creating new user-placeable assets. Currently, the range of buildings we have available in the mission editor is... not good. It doesn't create a good image for new users when they see things that look like they were designed in the late 90s.

If, however, there is a separate team of artists for maps, and another for assets - then my opinion is null and void. Having the best of both worlds would be great.

I think I am on the same page with you, I'm looking at the proposed map(s) and what jumps into my mind are the words  naval assets. While I will concede that both assets and maps are important I believe assets should be given a priority. However Eagle's business model is built on releasing modules, which is why I keep bringing up Fleet Ops and Combined Arms II. I know if Eagle's Youtube add campaign worked I would hope they create a few new teams to do parallel development one for land assets, one for naval assets, one for maps and one for aircraft. I think huge map like this would be awesome for DCS ship and submarine modules. 

• Like 1