CM3 detent for F18 and F16 ?? which one

Hotdognz

Best to experiment and find what works best for you. It is what I did a long time ago, and sorry I can't remember which I used. My same setup for the Hornet ended up working quite well with the Apache. Once you find the detents you feel would work best, here is a link to @imacken 's great setup guide for setting it up the detents in the new software.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/5472-vpс-software-setup-20211101-release-candidate/page/11/&tab=comments#comment-34613

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Combat + will be most accurate to modern fighter behavior. Move forward over detent to activate axis to button for idle, lift and move back to activate axis to button for engine cutoff. Combat + also lets you push through the afterburner detent or lift over whatever you prefer.

For Apache I would just set your saturation so you have 100% before you have to push through the detent. Or if you prefer just keep as is so you need to push through for more collective. 

And +1000 for following imacken's setup guide. 👍

Edited by haaaake

40 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

How good is this throttle control? I just bought VKB ultimate joystick, which is awesome and I need some throttle control unit as well. Would you guys recommand it?

I've got the VKB MGC, and the Virpil CM3 throttle. The throttle is brilliant. Quality build. Solid. Love that customisation is saved to the device itself - not some software that needs to be running. Chalk and cheese if you ask me between this and other controllers such as the TM warthog. 

The only single downfall that I can see that may affect some people is that it's not an exact replica of whatever throttle they want to use. (ie - I fly with some people that prefer the TM Warthog becaues they fly mainly A10's and want an exact replica).  For me however - not being a replica is a bonus. I prefer something practical with lots of buttons on the handle (beyond what most aircraft will have) so that I can use it with a variety of aircraft. For other purists, they may prefer a 1:1 control mapping. 

I only wish I could get the mode button on the CM3 to somehow interact with the VKB joystick to allow other modes on the joystick itself. That's probably a bit cheeky and asking a bit much though. 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

I've got the VKB MGC, and the Virpil CM3 throttle. The throttle is brilliant. Quality build. Solid. Love that customisation is saved to the device itself - not some software that needs to be running. Chalk and cheese if you ask me between this and other controllers such as the TM warthog. 

The only single downfall that I can see that may affect some people is that it's not an exact replica of whatever throttle they want to use. (ie - I fly with some people that prefer the TM Warthog becaues they fly mainly A10's and want an exact replica).  For me however - not being a replica is a bonus. I prefer something practical with lots of buttons on the handle (beyond what most aircraft will have) so that I can use it with a variety of aircraft. For other purists, they may prefer a 1:1 control mapping. 

I only wish I could get the mode button on the CM3 to somehow interact with the VKB joystick to allow other modes on the joystick itself. That's probably a bit cheeky and asking a bit much though. 😉

Thanks for your reply. I also thing, based on numerous reviews I have read and watched, thats the way to go -it surely is the best there is. 

Personally I only want from throttle to be fanctional and full customizable, and I it surely doesn`t need to be some RL replica. 

So you also have the same joystick as I do 🙂 Awesome right? So both are connected to pc over their own usb connectior right? Throttle cannot go into joystick`s black box? I wish it would. 

Btw, whats the mode button on throttle for? 

3 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

How good is this throttle control? I just bought VKB ultimate joystick, which is awesome and I need some throttle control unit as well. Would you guys recommand it?

Virpil CM3 Throttle compliments the VKB Ultimate stick quite nicely. I have been rocking this setup for a while now and love them both. CM3 Throttle is a great throttle for sure.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

18 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Btw, whats the mode button on throttle for? 

It's pretty flexible I believe. I have mine so when I switch the mode certain physical switches become different virtual switches. (So I can have the same switch do multiple jobs, depending on my phase of flight. Startup/Ground/Air/Landing/etc if required). I think it can be used as a switch instead if you prefer. In many ways the CM3 is highly customisable like the VKB products - although one thing I wish the CM3 had the ability to do that VKB does is have one button behave as 2 seperate buttons depending on whether it's a short press, or prolonged press.

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:43 AM, Dangerzone said:

I think DCS has the ability to define one or more "modifier" input. Can you define the 2,3,4,5 positions on the throttle as modifiers? I notice that the buttons representing the positions on the dial are always-on.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:32 AM, Dangerzone said:

one thing I wish the CM3 had the ability to do that VKB does is have one button behave as 2 seperate buttons depending on whether it's a short press, or prolonged press.

I think the latest firmware (July 2022) may have added this...

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick