Need help on targetting bridges using tgpod

pete_auau

Wondering  on what iam  doing  wrong   tried  using  atflir  and  the  lightning  pod  with  same  results.  is  that  when  i  target  the  bridge  on the  centre   the  target diamond  moves   fwd   when i get  closer   it  doesn't   stay on  centre point  (  same  when  i used  waypoint  target  as well).  Tried   using  tanks,  building  with  no issues  just  these   bridges.   Only  way  i  find  that  works  is  to  target   the  bridge     on the  ground  before  the  bridge  itself  which  seems  to  work. Is  this  the  way  to  do  it  is  to place  the target  before   the  bridge  it  self?

The thing about targeting pods in general is that they have no idea that three-dimensional structure exist, so targeting something that extends in elevation from the ground works differently than targeting something at ground level. This is where laser ranging can come in to play, where the designation can be augmented by the absolute slant range, rather than what the pod thinks it's looking at.

For a bridge, the targeting method could differ depending on what weapon is intended for the attack. Using an LGB would be fairly simple; drop in the general vicinity, and AUTO track the center of the bridge on the top, else if the laser ends up underneath, the LGB may not see it. For something akin to GPS weapons like JDAM, you may want to target a support at the base adjust the terminal angle and/or heading so that the weapon comes down from straight above and/or axially to the bridge to increase the chance of a hit. For an IR Maverick, just lock and fire, but Laser Mavericks are subject to the same limitations as LGBs regarding laser tracking.

Tons of options and methods.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

The problem is the sim doesn't recognize the bridge itself when it comes to sensors. Your laser will shoot right through that bridge and give a reading on the other side, so no matter what you think you're looking at, the system thinks it's the ground. High angles will be your friend here, which means altitude and/or proximity.

Another way is to be sure to approach the bridge along the same axis it spans. This makes targeting them much, much easier.

It may ruin the mission, but I remember one of the old A-10C missions with an infantry unit on the bridge. Perhaps try placing an infantry unit on the bridge, OR, perhaps a very small static object. The other suggestion, because we're in the Hornet forum is to consider using a SLAM/ER? A little inconvenient, but you could then use terminal guidance to steer it onto the bridge.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill: