Abrams Study Sim

BoomBoom

+9999999999999999999999999999

Heck, for me it doesn't even have to be an Abrams, I'll take basically any tank/IFV from the Cold War onwards.

And hell, I'd take something that wasn't full fidelity, but improved the fidelity of what we currently have (so something more akin to a certain tank game demo).

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Honest question (nobody will answer honestly)

Do you any of you even know what a 'study sim' tank is?

Tanks are designed so that an 18-year old from the streets can easily learn and train and become competent in the systems. 

I first trained on an M1A1 in 2006 and it was very easy to learn the basics of the crew stations in only a few short sessions. There's just not that much involved, and its actually fairly easy. This isn't an advanced aircraft like the A10IIC or F-18...tanks are easy to use. 

What we have now is perfectly fine.

What I think would be more appropriate are enhancements to already existing features in game or fixes for some features that are missing. This includes better/more realistic thermal imagers on vehicles, realistic zoom for vehicles like the M1A2, and fixes for long-standing bugs like the reload bug. 

Examples are shown in my video: https://youtu.be/iVHTVJ-zvJM

I also hope that the developers don't waste their time with modelling interiors. This is a developer time-suck and pitfall that could be spent in other areas. Most players spend their time looking through a gunsite, scanning outside of their hatch, or with their face in a map. If you're looking at the interior of the vehicle then you're not doing your job (unless you're the loader, in which case, that would be extremely boring in a video game)

Edited by Apocalypse31
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Apocalypse31 said:

What I think would be more appropriate...

Creating your own thread is more appropriate in this case.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

What we have now is usable, but far from being perfectly fine IMO. I would like to see more accurate gun/armor models, more detailed DM for systems, better physics models for power train/tracks. I agree on not spending the time to model the interior, but more time should be put into making the view from each station more accurate like driver, gunner, commander cupola/open hatch ect...

• Like 3