Option for importing Mission Editor Threats

Scaley

The latest patch has introduced a function that imports any non-hidden anti-aircraft threats into the Apache targets and threats database. The threats populate points T01 to T50 and appear to be added in the order they are placed in the ME, so the first 50 placed by the mission designer are the ones that will be imported.

While 50 threats sounds like a lot for a simple single player mission there are plenty of MP servers with far more than 50 threats added. In order for them to show up on other aircraft TSD/SA displays many of these threats will not be hidden. Unlike other aircraft, which can display many threat rings the Apache can only display 50, and any threats loaded automatically remove space from the targets/threats database which is also used extensively to store targets by the CPG during engagements. 

Further complicating matters the threats are added in the same order they were placed in the ME, so the 50 chosen may be of no relevance to the aircraft in question. Most designers of complex MP missions and campaign settings start by placing strategic assets such as long range SAMs. The objects placed much later, or randomly spawned, are likely to be the short range systems of more relevance to an Apache crew.

Overall, while the idea of the threats being automatically imported from the ME is good in principle, there are a lot of multiplayer missions and servers where an Apache crew are likely to load in and find that their entire target database is full of SAM threats, most or all of which are outside their operational area. The first thing they would then have to do would be to delete some/all of these points by hand, or (assuming bugs are fixed) just use points 26 to 50 and waste half their database.

Pending having a DTC (which I assume is several years away) would it be possible to have a checkbox added to the aircraft options in the ME alongside the flares/radar/control priority settings that disabled the auto-import of threats for that aircraft? Several other fixes are possible, including client side code, extra options for each threat, and ideally an actual mission planning/DTC system (either GUI or exposed lua). However, all seem relatively complex to implement and a simple checkbox to block to the ME>aircraft import seems like the easiest "quick fix"

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Floyd1212 said:

Agreed.

This feature is pretty useless, even bordering on annoying, for large missions with 100 targets on the map. 

Very much agreed. Current solution seems to be write an external macro/script to scrub the database when you load in, which is very annoying!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Mysty said:

I beg to differ.  50 targets is plenty for some of us who fly the Apache.  Perhaps, there should be an option to opt in or out. 

Absolutely. The problem with the way it's been implemented by ED is that you get ALL the stuff in the mission, which if it's a large multiplayer online mission will fill every target point in your point database. Clearly you aren't going to use all those targets/threat/whatever. We just need the option to select, on the player side, whether we get all these points in our database or not. Even a setting in the special tab in settings to turn it off would be great.